Video game documentaries?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

felgekarp

Re: Video game documentaries?

Post by felgekarp » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:26 pm

I enjoyed Nintendo Quest, hopefully when it gets a disc release there'll be a bit more of the quest on it.
Splink!

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:20 pm

rocky1980 wrote:
rocky1980 wrote:
So we can add Nintendo quest to the list

http://nintendoquest.com/

One man. 30 days, 678 games. No online purchases. I

Its about a guy trying to get full of NES games without going online and it 30 days !

I have watched the first 10 mins, looking forward to sitting down later today and watching the rest

I watched this last night, it was not bad, quite interesting though, some NES games are a lot cheaper in America!
So I finally got time to watch the whole thing last night. I was disappointed a was really hoping for something more. Far to much was done “off camera” - all these “good deals” that he got not prices where mentioned even at the end of the film not even a total. Some of the scenes looked staged to me also. That whole bit with the guy in Florida on the phone looked wrong. Its worth watching just to say you have seen it. I am sure this will be very popular in North America because it deals with the NES
Yeah, does sound very Reality Show like, scripted and staged like the Auction and antique ones. I must admit I watch them from time to time just to see some interesting pieces appear...but the shows you take with massive grains of salt. This sounds the same.

Cannot wait for the World 1-1 to get its DVD release, with the extras they have planned to add in. Terrific viewing.
Just watched Bedrooms to Billions again the other night. I still enjoyed it, but the initial impact it had (perhaps I was just so relieved after paying so much to have finally got the damn thing) was not quite so good. For sure it is still one of the better ones though, and nice to have one covering the UK side often forgotten in the docus. I shudder when I remember what I paid in comparison to others now though :lol:

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:48 am

watched Bedroom to Billions. Wanted to love it, but it really didn't make much of itself. A few talking head interviews grabbed at trade shows or in people's houses and some old magazine scans - it's really an unimaginative style of doc making.
The Artist Formerly Known as Timothy Lumsden...

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:45 pm

Dave300 wrote:This episode of Commercial Breaks is fascinating - about Imagine and Ocean, and the development of Bandersnatch which I believe we know as Brattacas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt9BsZCifgU
Only just watched this the other day, really interesting stuff - the decline unfolding before your eyes. Also enjoyed Micro Men, even if it was a little dramatised. ;) (and I guess not specifically focused on video games, but hey ho)

From Bedrooms to Billions was also good, a little interview-heavy as others have mentioned but a great insight nonetheless. I also really liked the extras (Making Elite, Creating SWOS, etc.). Probably the most memorable quote for me was from Matthew Smith in Making Manic Miner where he basically said 'I didn't really care what people thought, as long as I got my cut... I was making a product for sale'. Quite the dose of reality considering how revered his games were and how much the industry of that period is romanticised.

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:05 pm

Prof Mango B Coconut wrote:Tetris: From Russia with Love is a pretty good watch.
this would have actually made a good drama I thought. (But not from the GTA drama people please)
The Artist Formerly Known as Timothy Lumsden...

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:34 pm

Timothy Redux wrote:
Prof Mango B Coconut wrote:Tetris: From Russia with Love is a pretty good watch.
this would have actually made a good drama I thought. (But not from the GTA drama people please)
What about from the Tetris developers?

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:16 am

felgekarp wrote:I enjoyed Nintendo Quest, hopefully when it gets a disc release there'll be a bit more of the quest on it.
I was a little disappointed by Nintendo Quest for a few reasons. I thought it was going to be more of a road trip, but they didn't end up travelling very far, and the guy had to take a few days off the challenge in the middle to go back to work! It was annoying that they didn't show any of the prices he paid for the games - surely collectors are the main audience here, and they're generally interested in how much people pay for games. And it also seemed a bit like cheating where he attained a lot of games just by visiting friends who were happy to donate them to his cause - kind of defeats the purpose of a challenge to buy all the games in a set budget within a timeframe.
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

Tabe

Post by Tabe » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:42 am

Timothy Redux wrote:
I need to find this one. Been on my list to watch for a long time now.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:38 am

Timothy Redux wrote:watched Bedroom to Billions. Wanted to love it, but it really didn't make much of itself. A few talking head interviews grabbed at trade shows or in people's houses and some old magazine scans - it's really an unimaginative style of doc making.
Yes, I will buy the upcoming Amiga one...but no way am I paying what I did for the first one nor am I preordering this time and waiting years for it

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:40 am

theres a good one about youtube gamers with alot of interviews with ali-a but not sure what its called
This guy are sick

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:48 am

I re-watched The King Of Kong and then thought I'd give Donkey Kong another shot, after not really liking it after all these years as I was so crap at it. First game, first man died with the score 00000. Second man 00000. Yes that's right no points after 2 men and I was trying my hardest. Third man 7900 and saved myself from embarrassment.

Two weeks later after getting somewhat addicted, I got to 209,500, I never quite expected to get so far, but that movie is quite inspiring and I love the contrast it portrays between Billy Mitchell and Steve Wiebe, its really really well done.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:04 am

ncf1 wrote:I re-watched The King Of Kong and then thought I'd give Donkey Kong another shot, after not really liking it after all these years as I was so crap at it. First game, first man died with the score 00000. Second man 00000. Yes that's right no points after 2 men and I was trying my hardest. Third man 7900 and saved myself from embarrassment.

Two weeks later after getting somewhat addicted, I got to 209,500, I never quite expected to get so far, but that movie is quite inspiring and I love the contrast it portrays between Billy Mitchell and Steve Wiebe, its really really well done.
Damn, you are way better than me. I'm at 65-70K on a good day! :lol:

Yeah, I love the movie. It's obviously edited in such a way to make the good guy really good, and the bad guy the same, but it's a lot of fun and a great game movie. :)

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:57 am

Its what Walter Day says kiwimike, you change one tiny little thing and it can mean a big increase in score.. with Donkey Kong its just so hard that its like that, you have to just keep at it, I never actually expected to get even 50,000. Its just practice.. and watching King of Kong for inspiration hehe. if you can get to 65-70K you can do over 200, its just practice, and finding the time to do it.

I do like Billy Mitchell and I see how they made him out to be the bad guy but at the same time he kind of was, I mean he was sending around people to Wiebe's house to check on the machine, and its all in defense of his own high scores, I mean would it do that with other people's high scores? And turning up to Funspot and not engaging with Wiebe more, having his video played at Funspot when Wiebe was still trying out for a high score.. he did a lot of 'unsavoury' things shall we say. But from what Ive seen Billy Mitchell is actually a really great guy, a great dad, and I love the movie, it has fast become one of my very favourites. He's a great character, the perfect foil for Steve Wiebe.

I think the guy that really got shafted though was Tim Sczerby.. I mean they should have at least mentioned him.. I thought that wasn't too good, seeing though he had beat Billy Mitchell's score before Wiebe did. But still, great movie nonetheless. I just watched the Tetris one also, good lord those players are phenomenal! Great movies.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:25 am

Has anybody watched Man vs Snake yet? I know it's just been released but not sure where to get it from same as Dr of Kong impossible to buy or download anywhere..
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:19 am

Shinobi wrote:Has anybody watched Man vs Snake yet? I know it's just been released but not sure where to get it from same as Dr of Kong impossible to buy or download anywhere..
I watched man v snake a couple of weeks ago, I did buy a download version though, I thought it was a pretty decent film. Don't bother with dr kong though, unless its changed from the version I've got which I think is only about twenty minutes long.
Splink!