The system/console you feel most sentimental about

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

The Laird

Re: The system/console you feel most sentimental about

Post by The Laird » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:25 pm

Without any doubt it's the Lynx. It was the first console that I bought with my own money (I saved up my paper round money for months!) and the first machine that truly blew me away with what it could do. I can still remember the first time I played on one, when my friend Will bought one back from a holiday in California with California Games and Electrocop. I couldn't believe how cool it was and really wanted one. Then another friend got a very early import Game Gear and I thought that was very cool too after playing Columns, couldn't put that game down. But then when I walked into my local Dixons in Summer 1990 I saw both the Lynx and GG on display and had a choice to make. On the demo unit they had Blue Lightning running and that just blew me away (and my dad too) we just couldn't believe a machine that small was pumping out an arcade quality game like that. Then on the games shelf I saw that Xenophobe had just been released, which I utterly loved in the arcades and on the Spectrum. I soon handed over the money for a Lynx, AC adapter and Xenophobe and never looked back. It was a while before I could afford my next game (Road Blasters) and I never got bored of it. My Lynx has been with me ever since, when I lived abroad it was the only machine that went with me and it's the only machine I would never sell.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:00 pm

Yes I must say I do regret having sold my earliest system, actually all of them really. I guess its as the old adage goes (actually I'm completely paraphrasing here as Ive forgotten the adage, or even whether or not it is indeed an adage, but anyway) :
"Do not ever get rid of something that you once enjoyed because there will come a time when you will undoubtedly want to have that experience once again". :D

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:08 am

Atari ST for some reason.

I bought one when I was 17 and also STOS. The feeling of power was awe inspiring.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:31 am

Amstrad CPC 6128
Amiga CD32
Nintendo Gamecube

Guess I love an underdog!!!

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:57 am

ncf1 wrote:Yes I must say I do regret having sold my earliest system, actually all of them really. I guess its as the old adage goes (actually I'm completely paraphrasing here as Ive forgotten the adage, or even whether or not it is indeed an adage, but anyway) :
"Do not ever get rid of something that you once enjoyed because there will come a time when you will undoubtedly want to have that experience once again". :D

That's how I feel about ex-girlfriends.

For me it's a toss up between the Spectrum and the NES.

The Spectrum was mind-blowing to me as a kid. God knows how many hours were spent on that thing. I'm not sure I have a favourite game but I got a lot of playtime out of Scuba Dive, Brian Bloodaxe and Bruce Lee!

The NES was my first ever console and it was the most wonderful feeling the day I started up my first game (TMHT) at home. I'd spent hours playing the demo unit in Boots (weirdly, a big pusher of Nintendo products in the early days). I'd still love to get my hands on that multi-game demo cart and the big display unit with R.O.B inside.

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:15 pm

The ones for me are Game Boy, Megadrive and SNES.

They just remind me of my childhood. Got a GB when i was 10, my Megadrive when I was 11 and SNES when I was 12 and to this day they bring me straight back to those times. I've got a nostalgic tale attached to pretty much every game I've ever owned on those systems.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:20 pm

It's probably the Amiga - the A500. Such a great machine. Experiencing the step-up in the visual and sonic advances over the 8 bit systems was incredible at the time. All the great games. The upgrades to the system : first getting an extra floppy drive and then the 1/2 Mb memory slot expansion, then a freezer cartridge and then a printer. Learning to use Workbench. I got AMOS. Loved using Deluxe Paint(got to love King Tut). Using OctaMed and before that NoiseTracker to play music with. I loved ripping music from games with the freezer cartridge as well. Copying games - shhhhh! :lol: :lol: Hey - don't judge me. I loved using Vista as well - when that was given away free on Amiga Format. Playing multiplayer over a serial cable between 2 Amigas was good.

Christ - it was a wonder I ever passed my GCSEs! :lol: :lol:

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:40 pm

talking about freeze machines and the like, it astonishes me how quickly pirates got in on the act, I mean I remember there being really efficient copy programs on the Apple II almost as soon as we got the machine - in like, 1978! I think they had a decent copying program literally within a year of the machine hitting the shelves.

Which makes me think - has there ever been a system that *hasn't* fallen prey to the hacking regime? I guess Nintendo did pretty well with the NES but I never had one so I'm not sure. But I wonder which systems "survived" piracy the best, and still remained largely successful.

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:48 pm

Console, has to be the good old woody VCS, computers, it has to be the ti99/4a with the Atari 800XL pushing it for second place.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:05 pm

ncf1 wrote: Which makes me think - has there ever been a system that *hasn't* fallen prey to the hacking regime? I guess Nintendo did pretty well with the NES but I never had one so I'm not sure.
The NES had extreme piracy, from pirate "100-in-1" game cartriges down to tons of hardware clones. There's even an expression for those - "Famiclone". They used to be popular in many parts of Asia, South America, Eastern Europe and also parts of Western Europe. You can read all about them here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_ ... ware_clone

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:27 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
ncf1 wrote: Which makes me think - has there ever been a system that *hasn't* fallen prey to the hacking regime? I guess Nintendo did pretty well with the NES but I never had one so I'm not sure.
The NES had extreme piracy, from pirate "100-in-1" game cartriges down to tons of hardware clones. There's even an expression for those - "Famiclone". They used to be popular in many parts of Asia, South America, Eastern Europe and also parts of Western Europe. You can read all about them here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_ ... ware_clone
Wow.. 100-in-1 cartridge sounds like terrific value! :D
But actually I didn't know about NES piracy so I will read up on it, cheers for the link. I doubt any system escaped. Apart from perhaps the early Game & Watch systems but of course you had clones.

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:15 am

My mario bros game and watch.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:06 am

It's a coin flip between the N64 and the Gamecube, that period of late 90s to mid 00s was my favourite gaming era.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:59 am

I've mentioned it before, but I grew up in SA and I only ever saw an official NES in one store (Macro). Everywhere else was Chinese Famiclones of various sorts.

davyK

Post by davyK » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:10 pm

It's a toss up between the 2600 and the SNES.

The 2600 has so many associated happy memories of my teens playing with relatives and friends. It also got me interested in computing and IT which is how I earn a living.

The SNES came out when I started working in IT in the early 90s - a great time in my life. Memories of the great games and of marathon pre and post pub multi-player sessions with friends.