Gaming 'Guilty Pleasures'

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Rayne

Re: Gaming 'Guilty Pleasures'

Post by Rayne » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:59 am

Anything with a semi-naked chick as the main character.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:10 am

I have a strange love for the interactive fiction style adventure games of the 80's, stuff like Mosaic's Adrian Mole games and Yes Prime Minister. It's mainly just reading a lot of text, then choosing one of 3 or 4 actions from a list of options, which you never see acted out, and your ratings go up or down accordingly, but you never seem to actually understand why, or what the point of it all is. But it's weirdly compelling.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:41 pm

Is this stuff like Poker Ladies or games nobody else liked?

For me it's
Zelda Wand of Gamelon everybody knocks it but I really like it
Dragons Lair, super Don Quoxite and all the other Laser disc I still think there brilliant bought the games in Poundland, bought Dragons Lair etc on the I Phone, bought it on the GBA still play them
Final Fight 3 my friend thinks if he had a personal hell he'd be forced to play Final Fight 3 all day but I like it
Ninja C64 just brilliant but got a slated in the mags
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:49 pm

Night trap on the mega cd loved it when it was first out and would love to play it still now.

Fifa I know millions play it so its not really a guilty pleasure.Not much love for it on here though.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:08 pm

David wrote:pit fighter, sf the movie, judge dredd, tatoo assassins, that awful wrestling game on mame, I love them all
This one?

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detai ... ame_id=932

I agree about the digitalised games. First seeing Pit Fighter was one of "those" moments.

And NBA Jam! Although that isn't a guilt pleasure by any stretch.

And I have to say I'm chuffed with all the Pitfighter love on this thread. Love that game. First game I ever bought for my Megadrive.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

sidney

Post by sidney » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:28 pm

Mine are two Snes games, Home Alone and Pitfighter yes the SNES version of Pitfighter!!!

David

Post by David » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:33 pm

the name wrestling game is called Ring Rage

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:43 pm

Speaking of Pitfighter 'Guardians of the Hood' a scrolling beat em up with digitised graphics in which you can attack people by picking up tramps and throwing them at thugs. Seems to get a slating in the mag but I like it
Last edited by Shinobi on Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:45 pm

It pains me to say this, but-Dallas by CCS on the ZX Spectrum, don't know why-but I love this game.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:00 pm

Jedi power battles on the dreamcast. Just found it really fun.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:24 pm

Shinobi wrote:Speaking of Pitfighter 'Guardians of the Hood' a scrolling beat em up with digitised graphics in which you can attack people.. Seems to get a slating in the mag but I like it
I really tried to like this but I couldn't. I like the weirdness of it all but by the time you get to the stage with the Chinese theme/enemies, it gets too hard to beat all the enemies before the timer runs out.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:15 pm

Personal Nightmare. One of the first real-time adventures with semi-digitised graphics, I think the game is genius but it gets ripped to shreds because of its difficulty level. And I concur, I utterly abhor its difficulty but I just love the atmosphere, and mystery element, I think that other than the fact that its virtually impossible to complete without a walkthrough, it's genius!

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:44 pm

Peter Shilton's Handball Maradona - crap name, crap game but I still occasionally play it and still chuckle at the rough speech samples
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

OldSkoolCoolFool

Post by OldSkoolCoolFool » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:25 pm

The ST and Amiga versions of The Blues Brothers. I believe most people regard these as average platformers at best but i think they're great.

Also Rick Dangerous. It may be an unfairly difficult memory test with no regard for even half accurate collision detection or the basic principles of physics but I just don't care... I like it, I like it a lot.
Jagfest_UK wrote:Looks like your use of the letter T made your trousers fall down :wink:

Sneachta

Post by Sneachta » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:43 am

Sonic R. Yes, the gameplay is sort of sluggish and mediocre at best while the soundtrack is, well, the epitome of 90's cheese, but I could dig it. I have owned and played both the PC and Sega Saturn versions in the past.