Looking back at the Original Xbox

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

stvd

Re: Looking back at the Original Xbox

Post by stvd » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:47 pm

The component cable gives a razor sharp image on everything except xbox games. 8)
XBMC and all emulators are crystal clear, the image of the xbox games varies between great and a bit fuzzy.
Some have a habit of changing resolution/screen size mid-game.
There's maybe a setting I need to change though.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:59 pm

stvd wrote:The component cable gives a razor sharp image on everything except xbox games. 8)
XBMC and all emulators are crystal clear, the image of the xbox games varies between great and a bit fuzzy.
Some have a habit of changing resolution/screen size mid-game.
There's maybe a setting I need to change though.
I agree with STVD (i know!). I was hoping the actual games would look better at 480p (those that can run at that res) on a reasonable size LCD, but they are pretty blurry still using the component cable - its somewhat disappointing but no deal breaker. I guess the few rare games that run at 720p are much sharper though, but they're few and far between. Probably looks decent enough though on a smaller LCD with component.

Emulators all look great though as said above.

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:35 pm

aztecca wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:It's definitely my favourite of the three systems, even though I think the PS2 has a better range of software on it.
The output isn't the greatest on Xbox, but component should definitely give you the best image.
Also, my cheap copy of Dreamfall works on this new machine, so that's made me happy.
There are loads of settings for the picture output etc in coinops you could tweak them.Also there will be a pal or ntsc picture setting.Try changing that depending on your tv.You can run it at 1080 if its modded so the picture quality should be pretty decent if setup right.
I have tried setting 720p etc.. but I suppose it only works with the component lead.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:05 am

Yeah, I've just run some emulators through my 4K tv via component and they look fair better than what they did on my CRT.
Shame the Xbox games look pap.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:06 am

aztecca wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:It's definitely my favourite of the three systems, even though I think the PS2 has a better range of software on it.
The output isn't the greatest on Xbox, but component should definitely give you the best image.
Also, my cheap copy of Dreamfall works on this new machine, so that's made me happy.
There are loads of settings for the picture output etc in coinops you could tweak them.Also there will be a pal or ntsc picture setting.Try changing that depending on your tv.You can run it at 1080 if its modded so the picture quality should be pretty decent if setup right.
Thanks Aztecca, it's far better through 1080i. It's just a shame, as I really use my CRT for the actual Xbox games.
It's also disappointing that there seems to be no way to add a green filter to the Game Boy games.

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:55 pm

Got 2 crystal xbox's. Both running XBMC and both are great.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:15 pm

Some people recommend thaat 'Monster' branded cable for the Xbox. Supposedly the best one.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:15 pm

Megamixer wrote:Some people recommend thaat 'Monster' branded cable for the Xbox. Supposedly the best one.

Yep they is damn good.Trying to get hold of one is a different matter though.I do have a monster component cable here I would be willing to part with.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:13 pm

aztecca wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Some people recommend thaat 'Monster' branded cable for the Xbox. Supposedly the best one.

Yep they is damn good.Trying to get hold of one is a different matter though.I do have a monster component cable here I would be willing to part with.
I've got a Monster too!
I also have a non-monster cable in my other xbox but the picture is no different. Both are excellent.

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:46 pm

aztecca wrote:

Interesting. How much do they sell for? (stealth how much would you be asking?)

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:49 pm

One on the 'bay for a tenner...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Microsoft-Xbo ... 33aa17726d

Can see another one for £25 but the rest are 360 versions.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:53 pm

↑↑↑↑

Thats not bad bad for an s-video monster better off with component though.You would probably have to get from the us though.

Heres a link to them on amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Component-Vi ... B00005TN7U

Chuck me a cheeky offer if your after it acegrace and its yours.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:55 pm

Dreamfall is brilliant. Making of, boss? :wink:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:04 pm

Had an Xbox in my mid to late teens, after a Dreamcast and it seemed a natural evolution. Had it in my room too, so spent many a saturday morning lie-in playing Halo, GTA, KOTOR 1/2 and Jade Empire. For some reason I seem to remember only playing Morrowind late at night.

The whole Xbox experience, from the games to the build quality and aesthetics just felt so solid.

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:22 am

People running a modded Xbox need to either set the machine to ntsc via visionary or the region programme I can't remember the name. Then you can set the machine to 720p then everything emulation wise like coin ops, visionary, etc look fantastic via a component cable.
I just wish I could get my hands on a modded Snes controller that works on it or a decent arcade stick.
"Time fades even legend..."