The system/console you feel most sentimental about

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ncf1

The system/console you feel most sentimental about

Post by ncf1 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:24 pm

I think everyone has a system or console - just like perhaps a parent's favourite son or daughter (chuckle, just kidding mums 'n dads) - that they feel a bit more fondly over the others. Now we all love multiple systems, but which was the one that you found yourself just that liiiiittle more attached to than others, and why?

For me, its a battle between the Amiga and my first love, the Apple II. I have had an inner battle here for the last 10 minutes and have trouble deciding which will be the Ultimate Sentimental Champion (tm), but if I had to choose... well... hmm..

I think I will have to go with the Apple II. Why? Because it was like a brand new world.. so many things to explore, so much you could do on it, and everything new, but not to mention very, very well done. The Amiga was also like another world being such a big step up from the C64 or Apple, and it just had so much charm and appeal to it also. But I will stick with the Apple II, there's just something about it I love, the design, the beauty of Applesoft language, the games and programs themselves. So that would be my favourite "technological child" so to speak (oh dear, give it up for heavens sake!) ;)

MadManDan79

Re: The system/console you feel most sentimental about

Post by MadManDan79 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:39 pm

Mega Drive as it reminded me of my teenage years. Loved every minute of it.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:51 pm

The N64 for me. It's graphics look poor today (blurry, foggy, blocky) and it's games run at 10-20 fps but there was something "magical" on this system for me. Could be because it was the first system to introduce me to 3D gaming and because I found the Nintendo and Rare titles to be trully great, even groundbreaking, on it. The 3rd party support left a lot to be desired (there were a few nice games like the Turok games and the Star Wars games but a total lack of any competent fighting or RPG games) and the games costed too much (I blame the cartridge format which also turned off many 3rd party devs), but like I said, I really liked it's top exclusive games. More so than PlayStation's games or even PC's games at the time. It was also the system that sparked my interest into the more technical side of gaming (graphics, hardware, etc.).

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:54 pm

My Atari VCS. First console I ever owned and it still works!
I'm not sure I'd ever get rid of it.
And my Spectrum!

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:56 pm

Master System, first proper console I had, and who can't fall in love with Alex Kidd as the built-in game? Everyone loved that game.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:46 pm

I prefer the Snes, but the NES for me.

Actually its a choice between the Amstrad or NES.

Guess its because I was 7-12 when I was playing amstrad and Nes and those are years when christmas and everything else are all magical and everything os just so exciting.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:32 pm

The ColecoVision. I rented one a few times, and I _know_ how shyte the hw really is, but before I got myself a computer and was looking at brochures and marketing, the CV managed to pull so many right (and left) strings in me. I still want one!
An interesting case of the sw being truly greater than the hw. I'll even forgive them for how they butchered the level layouts in Donkey Kong (somewhat tastefully actually).

retr0gamer

Post by retr0gamer » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:46 pm

There's two for me. I had a Megadrive but always preferred the SNES. The Megadrive wasn't bad at al but the SNES is so much better. Since I could only play it infrequently at friends houses it kind of attained a mythical status for me. Even worse my parents would try their hardest to stop me from playing the super nintendo because I'd come back from my friends house with big red eyes and they thought it was epilepsy because of that stupid epilepsy scare of the early 90's. I think it might have more to do with playing Street Fighter 2 for 8 hours straight.

The other is the Playstation 1. There's never going to be a console quite like it. The low financial barrier for entry and Sony's much more lenient licensing terms meant there was a whole load of experimental games mixed in with the big hitter titles. Also since 3D was so new you got some really great experimental games and evolutionary dead ends like Jumping Flash. It was such an exciting time for videogames and everything after, espeically todays triple A borefests just hasn't lived up to it.

swoslover

Post by swoslover » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:49 pm

For me there are two. The Master System as my first console and the amazing platform games Alex Kidd, Sonic (always preferred it to the Mega Drive version) and ditto for Castle of Illusion.

The Dreamcast too. Some of my all time favourite games were on that system.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:15 am

Probably the Game and Watch Donkey Kong Jnr I had as a kid. I played that game to death. I'm not sure what happened to it - probably sold off by my parents with the rest of my toys :cry:

I think I'm probably more sentimental about the Game and Watch because I haven't played it since. I would have said PC or NES, but I can play those any time I want now.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:43 am

In terms of sentiment, probably the Amstrad CPC. I got moved up a year in junior school away from my friends and only ended up bonding with some of the kids in my new class over having the same machine. The Amstrad was always more than just a games machine for me, it was something to make friends over.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:09 am

My first thought was SNES but to be honest it has to be the Amstrad CPC. So many memories with the 464.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:13 am

My Amiga A600, I spent so many hours on that thing.
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:21 am

theantmeister wrote:Probably the Game and Watch Donkey Kong Jnr I had as a kid. I played that game to death. I'm not sure what happened to it - probably sold off by my parents with the rest of my toys :cry:

I think I'm probably more sentimental about the Game and Watch because I haven't played it since. I would have said PC or NES, but I can play those any time I want now.
If you want a quick fix of Game & Watch goodness without the need to actually physically own it, do check this site here:

http://pica-pic.com/

And yes, Game & Watch and it's clones were awesome. :wink:

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:52 pm

retr0gamer wrote:The other is the Playstation 1. There's never going to be a console quite like it. The low financial barrier for entry and Sony's much more lenient licensing terms meant there was a whole load of experimental games mixed in with the big hitter titles. Also since 3D was so new you got some really great experimental games and evolutionary dead ends like Jumping Flash. It was such an exciting time for videogames and everything after, espeically todays triple A borefests just hasn't lived up to it.
I would agree with this. Having a machine full of triple-A titles but also (as you say) experimental games as well as some 2D stuff is just amazing. Having a modchip also really opens up the library to include even more madcap software from Japan.

The Mega Drive was the first console I played on but the PS1 was the first I had at our home and I have so many great memories of it.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.