Worst game endings [contains spoilers]

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Moon Jump

Post by Moon Jump » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:18 am

I think the Angry Video Game Nerd hit it on the head with Ghostbusters on the NES.

CONGRATULATION!
YOU HAVE PLAYED A GREAT GAME!!

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:28 am

Moon Jump wrote:I think the Angry Video Game Nerd hit it on the head with Ghostbusters on the NES.

CONGRATULATION!
YOU HAVE PLAYED A GREAT GAME!!
And in a similar vein...Stop the Express on the Speccy

"CONGRATURATION...YOU SUCESS!"

Submerge

Post by Submerge » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:11 am

spectrum rolling thunder

loops back to the start

great!
'Let his name be praised' - Lo Ray, Body Blows.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:33 am

The ending R-Type Final for me is disappointing rather than bad. The game is such a majestic and fitting tribute/celebration of the series, the final boss battle is great but the ending left me a little cold. After the final Bydo onslaught and destruction of the boss you don’t get some kind of amazing flourish in the (allegedly) final game in the iconic R-Type series. We see the R9 fighter spent and drifting in space presumably indefinitely, no triumphant return to earth with the Bydo Empire vanquished. I know all stories can’t have happy endings but it seems so flat and not fitting a series of games with its influence and gravity.

devilman

Post by devilman » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:43 am

I completed Still Life (Xbox) at the weekend and that has a disappointing ending. The rest of the game is pretty well put together so it was a bit of a jolt to see a couple of cut-scenes and then to be told that the story continues online at stilllife-game.com (which is down now anyway). It all ended rather abruptly really... still, some good puzzles in there.

woody2

Post by woody2 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:58 am

I was pretty annoyed at the ending in Jak and Daxter's first game on the ps2. It was the first platform game I had really enjoyed for a while, and I collected all 101 power cells. The spectacular ending consisted of them looking up at a bright white and going Wow! Great!!!! Thats just what I wanted to see. Of course I didnt know there was going to be Jak II so I thought everything would be resolved in the first one :x
So long-a Bowser!

bosher

Re: Worst game endings [contains spoilers]

Post by bosher » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:15 am

Dan wrote:does anyone else get really ticked off when you play a game all the way through, find all the secrets, and then the ending is really crap.
My 1st example is saints row for the 360, i had every car, weapon, outfit etc that you could think of just to find at the end that you have been set up from the start and all your gang members were actually cops that blow up the boat your on at the end.
2nd is crackdown, an exellent game with shed loads to see and do yet at the end {you can probably guess this one} another set up. :?
i agree with you on crackdown, a really good game but the end was crap. plus i think the game didnt really last tht long.
davey bosher says relax!

nwosteve

Post by nwosteve » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:19 am

"You're all going to die." MK3 promo posters