What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

theantmeister

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by theantmeister » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:04 am

Nothing at all for the past few days. I'm just tired of playing dickish games. I beat, like, the 100th colossus in Shadow of the Colossus and I just can't face another one. They just get more and more annoying and fiddly with each one.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:25 pm

Wolverine Adamantium Rage for the Snes. I've been meaning to finish this game for years, and have now finally got round to starting it again. Its weird, I have memories of getting far in this game back in the day but after playing it today I cannot fathom how I made any progress at all. Bar a couple of nice character sprites in the game, there is nothing good about this game at all... collision detection is awful and in turn makes the combat bloody awful. Controls are even worse, making the previous two points even worse still. Level design sucks, you have to beat enough enemies to progress, but you know... the combat sucks... Its also brutally difficult, and not in the Mega Man/Ghosts n Goblins fun way (heck, Battletoads is far less annoying than this game). I spent half my time in later levels waiting around for my health to regen, since you have to fight the enemies, avoiding their attacks is a futile effort and health drops are so incredibly rare they are almost non existent.

I've just cleared an awful switch section in the hellfire club level. Which was so badly designed it took me the best part of half a day to clear it, since there are also few checkpoints so death usually results in a lengthy restart. Easily one of the worst comic book tie ins I've ever played, in terms of Wolverine games it actually makes X2 Wolverines Revenge good (and to be fair, that game at least started out strong before going to hell). Just buy the Xbox 360 version of X-Men Origins Wolverine instead, not only is it the best Wolverine game ever made, its actually an incredibly solid (and gory) title that is actually worth your time.

I've also been playing IA/VT on the Vita, chasing one last trophy which eludes me (use all costumes). I've no idea which I've used and which I've not used, so I'll just keep playing until it pops, its excellent fun for the odd 3 minutes here and there to occupy me while I wait for Wolverine to heal...
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:49 pm

Gears of War Judgement - My friend and I started playing this on Insane with all the difficulty modifiers active. After about 54 attempts we finally cleared the first section (taking the staircase then holding locust off). Now we're on a section where we have to take the high ground using only locust weapons. It's difficult but at least there's no timer on this one. The complete lack of revives makes this very tricky indeed.

Family Guy: BTTM - I finally finished off the story today, the end boss (though frustratingly difficult) was pretty memorable. The local multi-player modes are an absolute blast though, takes me right back to Simpsons Hit n Run, the Futurama game and other tie ins that are bad, yet enjoyable. Not sure if I can be bothered replaying to find all the collectibles though.

David

Post by David » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:47 pm

FIFA 14 - it is so much better than fifa 15, which feels like the players are running in mud

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:55 pm

Rule of Rose (PS2) - A lot better presented than I expected (don't really know what I was expecting to be fair) and has a really unique atmosphere with young kids being so sinister. The combat sucks though so running away from enemies seems to be easier. I've just made it to what I assume is the first boss - some bloke covered in ropes - but despite using up all of my health restoratives and repeatedly bashing him with a metal pipe, he still killed me so either I'm doing something wrong i.e. supposed to run away or it's a sign of things to come with the bosses!

Ranko Tsukugime's Longest Day (PS3) - the anime side of the disc was enjoyable and so is the main game itself, largely due to the cool presentation and typical Suda51 bizarreness. Even accepting all of this however, I STILL have no human response to offer up after watching the cutscene that follows the dragon boss :shock:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:39 am

Luigi's Mansion 2 on the 3DS. How can there be so much more to it and yet it is so much worse than the first one? I loved the first one to bits - it was a fantastic fun little game. I bought the Gamecube for Rogue Squadron, but I ended up enjoying Luigi's Mansion more.

This second one is dire in comparison. There's far far far too much text. Listening to the professor jabber on for ages only to have him call you constantly mid level as well really pisses me off. There's too many mechanics bolted onto what was a simple game (which explains a lot of the jabber I suppose). They spoiled it by adding in more and more.

The worst thing, though, is the level lengths. How can a game designed for a mobile system honestly expect you to go 25 minutes between saves? Yes, you could put the 3DS to sleep at any time, but if any game should have a quick save feature, it is this one.

I looked it up last night, it turns out this one wasn't handled by Nintendo in house and it really shows.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:53 am

Megamixer wrote:Rule of Rose (PS2) - A lot better presented than I expected (don't really know what I was expecting to be fair) and has a really unique atmosphere with young kids being so sinister. The combat sucks though so running away from enemies seems to be easier. I've just made it to what I assume is the first boss - some bloke covered in ropes - but despite using up all of my health restoratives and repeatedly bashing him with a metal pipe, he still killed me so either I'm doing something wrong i.e. supposed to run away or it's a sign of things to come with the bosses!

Ranko Tsukugime's Longest Day (PS3) - the anime side of the disc was enjoyable and so is the main game itself, largely due to the cool presentation and typical Suda51 bizarreness. Even accepting all of this however, I STILL have no human response to offer up after watching the cutscene that follows the dragon boss :shock:
Your not doing anything wrong on RoR, it just has long dull boss fights (and ironically, the last boss is the easiest). Its an interesting game in my opinion, just with crappy combat that kind of brings it down, a pity as the story and atmosphere is like few others I've played.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:05 pm

Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon. I'm playing through it in co-op with my brother. So far it's pretty playable, no broken or frustrating sections yet. That said the controls are really janky, the visuals jump between murky and neon and the camera angles are just awful :? we'll try seeing it through to the end!

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:19 am

I've started on King's Quest 4. Definitely enjoying this one more than KQ3 so far. There's no clock, for a start, and no evil wizard randomly killing me. I'm constantly surprised at how much computer games have changed. For example, I just shot a unicorn with Cupid's bow and arrow... in what is supposedly an adventure game made for adults. To say nothing of the frog I kissed or the seven dwarves. It's very forward thinking to have a woman as the main character, but not so much having one of the puzzles involve cleaning up after seven bearded men. :lol:

As an aside, there was a coupon for an Adlib sound card in the box. And a letter from Ken Williams extolling the virtues of these new fangled sound cards. And an order form. And in the game there's a room with an organ in it that you can play for no reason. And a guy playing a lute. Do you think Sierra were getting commission or something?

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:21 am

ShadowMan wrote:Wolverine Adamantium Rage for the Snes. I've been meaning to finish this game for years, and have now finally got round to starting it again. Its weird, I have memories of getting far in this game back in the day but after playing it today I cannot fathom how I made any progress at all. Bar a couple of nice character sprites in the game, there is nothing good about this game at all... collision detection is awful and in turn makes the combat bloody awful. Controls are even worse, making the previous two points even worse still. Level design sucks, you have to beat enough enemies to progress, but you know... the combat sucks... Its also brutally difficult, and not in the Mega Man/Ghosts n Goblins fun way (heck, Battletoads is far less annoying than this game). I spent half my time in later levels waiting around for my health to regen, since you have to fight the enemies, avoiding their attacks is a futile effort and health drops are so incredibly rare they are almost non existent.

I've just cleared an awful switch section in the hellfire club level. Which was so badly designed it took me the best part of half a day to clear it, since there are also few checkpoints so death usually results in a lengthy restart. Easily one of the worst comic book tie ins I've ever played, in terms of Wolverine games it actually makes X2 Wolverines Revenge good (and to be fair, that game at least started out strong before going to hell). Just buy the Xbox 360 version of X-Men Origins Wolverine instead, not only is it the best Wolverine game ever made, its actually an incredibly solid (and gory) title that is actually worth your time.

I've also been playing IA/VT on the Vita, chasing one last trophy which eludes me (use all costumes). I've no idea which I've used and which I've not used, so I'll just keep playing until it pops, its excellent fun for the odd 3 minutes here and there to occupy me while I wait for Wolverine to heal...
Adamantium Rage is a hateful, horrible game that is far too hard by far. I never got off the first level before giving up. It's not the worst comic book tie in of the 16 Bit era though, The Incredible Hulk on the Mega Drive is worse.

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:49 pm

Blew the dust off Xbox1 advanced warfare and started having a go on it. Did some online play but kept getting 'host migration'...

Sam_P

Post by Sam_P » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:46 pm

NHL 16, getting in some practice before I get my arse handed to me online. :roll:

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:42 am

ShadowMan wrote:Wolverine Adamantium Rage for the Snes. I've been meaning to finish this game for years, and have now finally got round to starting it again. Its weird, I have memories of getting far in this game back in the day but after playing it today I cannot fathom how I made any progress at all. Bar a couple of nice character sprites in the game, there is nothing good about this game at all... collision detection is awful and in turn makes the combat bloody awful. Controls are even worse, making the previous two points even worse still. Level design sucks, you have to beat enough enemies to progress, but you know... the combat sucks... Its also brutally difficult, and not in the Mega Man/Ghosts n Goblins fun way (heck, Battletoads is far less annoying than this game). I spent half my time in later levels waiting around for my health to regen, since you have to fight the enemies, avoiding their attacks is a futile effort and health drops are so incredibly rare they are almost non existent.

Thanks for this post - I've been curious about Adamantium Rage ever since I saw the sprites earlier this year. I'll avoid it now I think!! But I'll look out for X-Men Origins Wolverine on PS3 next time I'm in CEX!
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:45 am

theantmeister wrote:Luigi's Mansion 2 on the 3DS. How can there be so much more to it and yet it is so much worse than the first one? I loved the first one to bits - it was a fantastic fun little game. I bought the Gamecube for Rogue Squadron, but I ended up enjoying Luigi's Mansion more.

This second one is dire in comparison. There's far far far too much text. Listening to the professor jabber on for ages only to have him call you constantly mid level as well really pisses me off. There's too many mechanics bolted onto what was a simple game (which explains a lot of the jabber I suppose). They spoiled it by adding in more and more.

The worst thing, though, is the level lengths. How can a game designed for a mobile system honestly expect you to go 25 minutes between saves? Yes, you could put the 3DS to sleep at any time, but if any game should have a quick save feature, it is this one.

I looked it up last night, it turns out this one wasn't handled by Nintendo in house and it really shows.
I completely agree, I got very bored with this one, I'm not sure why I bothered to finish it! The gameplay gets so repetitive, and you're right, that stupid professor is so annoying. I can't believe they haven't figured out a quicker way to get his information across during the cutscenes. I've only played the original once a while ago, and have been hesitant to return to it since suffering through the sequel, but if you say it's better then I might just fire it up again soon!

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:49 am

I've been working through Ico (remastered) on PS3 recently. I enjoy the setting and story, but sometimes struggle to figure out what to do next. Thank god for walkthroughs :D

Have also been revisiting Uncharted 2, as I love the series and won't be able to play the new one, due to not owning a current gen system.

Really need to get back into Alien Isolation too, as I've been playing it for hours and still haven't seen a damn xenomorph!