Lets talk about vinyl

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

silvergunner

Re: Lets talk about vinyl

Post by silvergunner » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:01 pm

So today I managed to get my copy of Iron Maidens book of souls signed by Janick Gers.

It's a nice thin gold ink on the cover but boy is it a sod to photograph

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:08 pm

I've got a pretty big collection, about 4000 12" and 7". I even have a room dedicated to it, what else are you going to do with a 6' square box room! Its bliss sitting down in there after work for 1/2 an hour now and again with my son crawling round (occasionally getting told off for trying to pull alphabetized records off the shelves).

12" are mostly disco, house, techno, UK Garage, breakbeat, dub, dancehall etc. 7" are 'northern' soul, rock n roll, rockabilly, punk, bit of synth pop and some pop.

I tend to buy big bulk lots of records in, going through and keeping what I want then selling the remainder on in lots again. I have about broke even by this and have gained a collection that is worth about £5k according to discogs. Opened my ears to a lot of stuff and genres I never really listened to before through it as well. It helps that I don't listen to much new music, buying new records individually costs a bomb!

I used to specifically collect certain groups of records - labels, artists, scenes, variations etc but just don't find the fun in that any more, especially given how expensive it can be.
Definitely a listener rather than a collector now, like games they are there to be played! Guilty as anyone of having records that just sit there though - having a bit of a major spring clean at the moment, probably got around a 1000 to get rid of, mostly 7"s.

I've got a Rega RP1 turntable, Cambridge Audio Azur (300?) amp and Bose Interaudio 4000 floor speakers.

Long live vinyl! Amazing how well some of the 45s that are 60 years old and covered in scuffs play, yet I have a few CDs that are physically falling apart now due to age (got hundreds of CDs too..)

edit - also got quite a lot of white labels, which are a whole ball game in themselves. Huge amounts of crap to wade through but there is a lot of interesting stuff that is incredibly obscure and will never be heard elsewhere. UK Garage white labels on 10" seemed to have been a thing for some reason!

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:29 pm

djcarlos wrote:This is my main vinyl shelf....the ones I actually listen to!

I've got a matching one in another room with the ones I don't need instant access to - alternative pressings etc - and a few cases in the attic with the stuff I really never will listen to. Barbara Woodhouse's "Dog Training For Beginners" for example.

And yes, that's sscot's Virtual Boy proudly displayed at the top.

About 5500 in total, plus a 1000 or so 7 inches.....

On the other hand, I've only got about 50 games!
What do you do about cleaning, if anything? All i have is a carbon brush and milty anti static gun, but a lot of my 12" have seen a lot of action out in the field so to speak and some are filthy. I've been toying for ages with buying a wet vac cleaner like the nitty gritty, vpi etc but £500 or so is a lot to spend. There are also the manual spin brush ones, but I can't see them doing much.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:11 am

oli_lar wrote:
djcarlos wrote:This is my main vinyl shelf....the ones I actually listen to!

I've got a matching one in another room with the ones I don't need instant access to - alternative pressings etc - and a few cases in the attic with the stuff I really never will listen to. Barbara Woodhouse's "Dog Training For Beginners" for example.

And yes, that's sscot's Virtual Boy proudly displayed at the top.

About 5500 in total, plus a 1000 or so 7 inches.....

On the other hand, I've only got about 50 games!
What do you do about cleaning, if anything? All i have is a carbon brush and milty anti static gun, but a lot of my 12" have seen a lot of action out in the field so to speak and some are filthy. I've been toying for ages with buying a wet vac cleaner like the nitty gritty, vpi etc but £500 or so is a lot to spend. There are also the manual spin brush ones, but I can't see them doing much.
Is that a IKEA unit? Looks like mine but I only keep my laser discs along the bottom so the unit does not collapse. Seen lots of horror story's of them collapsing due to the weight of vinyl.

What does everyone else use for storage?

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:14 am

I've got a similar unit (it's 2 spaces wide though), I put it on it's side, so it's a sideboard, put my amp and turntable on top.

I'll put a piccy up of it later.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:50 am

It is an Ikea unit, but it's bolted to the wall so it ain't going anywhere!

As for cleaning....I use a liquid cleaner that I get from eBay with a micro-fibre cloth, that's it. I've used cleaning machines before but the fluid I found does the job. I've got through gallons of the stuff...

I recommended it to Darran the other day so he can either corroborate or destroy my report!

EDIT -It's called "Into The Groove"

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:52 am

silvergunner wrote:So today I managed to get my copy of Iron Maidens book of souls signed by Janick Gers.

That is very cool to have it signed!! Jealous!

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:50 am

My local record shop in St Helens cleans LP's a £1 a shot.

Got one of those industrial thingys, (can't remember name of it) but it makes a hell of noise when he's using it!!

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:53 am

IronMaidenRule wrote:
silvergunner wrote:So today I managed to get my copy of Iron Maidens book of souls signed by Janick Gers.

That is very cool to have it signed!! Jealous!
Great for the collection. He lives local to me and he is a top bloke, and does not mind one bit talking to fans.

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:17 am

silvergunner wrote:Is that a IKEA unit? Looks like mine but I only keep my laser discs along the bottom so the unit does not collapse. Seen lots of horror story's of them collapsing due to the weight of vinyl.

Ikea units here too. I've got two of them (4x4).
Only one is fully loaded and it has been for 3 years. No problems whatsoever.
Usually when they collapse it's because they've been built incorrectly or orientated wrongly.
Mine aren't even fixed to the wall. it'd take something special to pull one of them over.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:49 pm

stvd wrote:
silvergunner wrote:Is that a IKEA unit? Looks like mine but I only keep my laser discs along the bottom so the unit does not collapse. Seen lots of horror story's of them collapsing due to the weight of vinyl.

Usually when they collapse it's because they've been built incorrectly or orientated wrongly.
Mine aren't even fixed to the wall. it'd take something special to pull one of them over.
I have the 4x4 to. They seem more sturdy than my larger one in the living room. Nowhere near as much wobble.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:23 pm

stvd wrote:

Mine is ikea (kallos? something like that) too, I was going to say too that the orientation of them is probably the issue with collapsing . Have them so that the long shelves are horizontal, that way the weight is supported by the vertical shelves themselves rather than the pegs holding them together.

It is a bit crazy thinking of the weight involved - about 100g on average per 12" soon adds up. Found that out a few years ago when I bought a bumper lot of 2000 and picked it up in a megane! Or when I had to walk several hundred meters to the car several times after buying about 500 at a car boot.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:22 am

djcarlos wrote:It is an Ikea unit, but it's bolted to the wall so it ain't going anywhere!

As for cleaning....I use a liquid cleaner that I get from eBay with a micro-fibre cloth, that's it. I've used cleaning machines before but the fluid I found does the job. I've got through gallons of the stuff...

I recommended it to Darran the other day so he can either corroborate or destroy my report!

Still waiting for this to turn up :(
And I've just realised who you are on Facebook :P

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:28 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
djcarlos wrote:It is an Ikea unit, but it's bolted to the wall so it ain't going anywhere!

Yep, itsame!

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:55 am

djcarlos wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:

Yep, itsame!
Is you Norman cook I remember him loking retrogames?
SH1T HAPPENS :wink: