Real Ale Drinkers or Lagerboys?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Black Ridge

Re: Real Ale Drinkers or Lagerboys?

Post by Black Ridge » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:19 am

I'm going to try and make it down one of the days for you beer fest Marko. You still got the same mobile number? Also, really interested to see your new place once it's all sorted.

That 'Danny' beer was OK. You know me, I prefer my stouts and porters anyway

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:10 pm

Yeah, same number. Try and get in to this festival... got a Dark Arts from Magic Rock Brewery - This is AWESOME x Pi. :D 6% and black but will sell very quickly :wink:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:41 pm

Well, Orval wasn't that bad at all. Only a whiff on hops, but a more pronounced herbal aftertaste covered that up. Quite pleasing, and one I will drink again (if Chimay Grande or Kwak is not available!).

rupert

Post by rupert » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:15 pm

Sputryk wrote:Well, Orval wasn't that bad at all. Only a whiff on hops, but a more pronounced herbal aftertaste covered that up. Quite pleasing, and one I will drink again (if Chimay Grande or Kwak is not available!).
I quite like Kwak, i've got one of those Kwak glasses with the wooden holder, looks like a science experiment :D

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:07 pm

rupert wrote:
Sputryk wrote:Well, Orval wasn't that bad at all. Only a whiff on hops, but a more pronounced herbal aftertaste covered that up. Quite pleasing, and one I will drink again (if Chimay Grande or Kwak is not available!).
I quite like Kwak, i've got one of those Kwak glasses with the wooden holder, looks like a science experiment :D
That's a glass on my 'to get' list. Could've gotten on my return from Belgium one year, but opted instead for a 6-pack of Chimay with appropriate glass.

If beer isn't your usual thing (it certainly isn't for me - far too hoppy), I can recommend the Trappist beers of Belgium; most especially Chimay Grande (blue), Westmaller dubbel, and Leffe blonde. Rochefort blue is also good, if a bit weak in flavour (but not strength at 11.3%!). There is very little of the hoppy taste to any of these. :)

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:33 pm

Well, long old day at work setting up this weekends beer festival and my last official weekend at the Club. Sitting at home now with a 2 pint take-out of Arbor Brewery - Smokescreen 5.5%. A smoked porter. Exceptional beer if you like a porter that is very smoky flavoured.
My ale - brewed for me personally, is called Marks farewell Ale and is 8.5% (brewed by my Son Michael at Bournemouth Brewing Co) is amazing! :mrgreen:

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:15 pm

Treated by the missus this evening :D

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:04 pm

Sputryk wrote:
rupert wrote:
That's a glass on my 'to get' list. Could've gotten on my return from Belgium one year, but opted instead for a 6-pack of Chimay with appropriate glass.

If beer isn't your usual thing (it certainly isn't for me - far too hoppy), I can recommend the Trappist beers of Belgium; most especially Chimay Grande (blue), Westmaller dubbel, and Leffe blonde. Rochefort blue is also good, if a bit weak in flavour (but not strength at 11.3%!). There is very little of the hoppy taste to any of these. :)
Definitely add to that shortlist of mine, this beauty:

Will soooooo be buying this again. A subtle unusual flavour, but it is oh so nice. Nicenicenice. Nice. Nice. :D

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:00 am

More new ones to try

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:44 pm

More ive never had

had the Wichwood one last night was quite nice

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:10 pm

That White Oak Wheat is really good. :D

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:27 pm

Aldi aint selling to lovely "Pumpking" this year
They are selling another one "Dunkle Fester"

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:10 pm

It's still "Green Hop" time. Has anyone tired any? Are they any good? Last year, they were disappointing - apart from the Time and Tide one. I still haven't got around to trying any. I suppose I might get lucky and buy some in bottled form. Also, the Wantsum Brewery have released a selection of ales to co-inside with the Rugby World Cup(they're a single hopped ale from the country of origin, e.g. New Zealand, etc.). Probably won't get many orders, now that England have been booted out! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:48 am

I've done some Green Hop ales recently. First up was The Old Dairy Brewery at 4% and made with Challenger hops. Much better than last year's one - has a nice acidic aftertaste to it - but very light on the palate.

Then I tried a couple from the Canterbury Ales - the Saison and Red Rye. Both light golden in colour and had that "Green Hop" aftertaste to them.

They seemed to have a better flavour this year. Just sad, that I didn't get to try more out.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:06 pm

I've got the Dark Star Green Hop ale going on the bar soon. Should be good.

I've had an unbelievable couple of weeks in my own pub. Been through nearly 30 different ales already :shock: and there is no sign of it slowing down either.

Just pop onto facebook and look up Smugglers Run Pub..... I'm Knackered!