mario maker level share thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

sirpigmeat

Re: mario maker level share thread

Post by sirpigmeat » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:25 am

CADDYSHACK! My first mario maker movie franchise:

1BFB 0000 005C DADE

Also tried a shoot em up called Super Cloud Battle because I couldn't think of a decent name:

1563 0000 005C 3258

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:01 am

Misery wrote:Thanks, glad you guys liked them.

I wish it was easier to get levels noticed, though. Bloody things take forever to make. Particularly the way I do it.... I'll set up something, test the whole thing, switch back to editing, move like ONE block, and then test the whole thing again. A very old habit carried over from back when I used to make levels for Doom, when that was on DOS (quick testing was often not really an option there, so the entire thing it was, most times). I'll make the blasted things though, and then they take forever to get noticed. While I watch others make "auto" levels that get like 20000 stars in 2 seconds. Ugh.
I think at the moment alot of people basically just want to see all the whacky stuff you can do and what amiibo costumes are available. It'll probly settle down after awhile, maybe.

I notice levels with higher completion rates get more stars, which is one reason the auto level get so many, as its very hard not to complete. Then as they are enjoyable to watch and the people obviously put a lot of work into them its reasonable to give them a star too... If you've done a reasonably hard level its pretty tough getting stars though, no matter how good you think it is. Some of the longer more cerebral levels I think people just don't want to put the effort into them. Seem to die once and quit. At least I gather from looking at the maps info (I love seeing where people die on my courses). My top level is a silly one where you crush various bad guys with thwomps, It sort of sucks because I think i've done much better.

Super addicted to this at the moment too, was at a bbq yesterday ignoring peoples conversation and thinking about how to go about a mario maker bbq level. :D

ALK

Post by ALK » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:39 pm

One of the awesome benefits of sharing levels online. Dunno if anyone here watches Screwattack but my level The Impossible Stairs made it onto one of their livestreams. XD

It's around 8:40 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bae6jujwGuM
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

snesfanboy

Post by snesfanboy » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:15 pm

7th level, a bowser level with a bit of mystery to it!

Clumsy Castle Capture
8D32-0000-004B-8A3A

8th level, 1st one with the New Super Mario Bros toolset, a bit easier, more straightforward, but with my 1st sublevel!

Secrets, Sky And Underground
56DF-0000-0051-0FA0

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:14 pm

sirpigmeat wrote:CADDYSHACK! My first mario maker movie franchise:

1BFB 0000 005C DADE

Also tried a shoot em up called Super Cloud Battle because I couldn't think of a decent name:

1563 0000 005C 3258
Just played through all your levels, you've nailed the difficulty, just right without being frustrating, some really good level design there. I'm all out of ideas now, think I need to give it break for a few days, I've somehow clocked up 50+ hours already :shock:
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:33 pm

TheNewMonkey wrote:

1BFB 0000 005C DADE

1563 0000 005C 3258
Just played through all your levels, you've nailed the difficulty, just right without being frustrating, some really good level design there. I'm all out of ideas now, think I need to give it break for a few days, I've somehow clocked up 50+ hours already :shock:
Thanks, especially for the stars, finding getting that second medal pretty tough!

I'm trying real hard on the difficulty levels, glad you found it was alright. My first attempts were way too tough, just not very fun, deleted them in the end. Flip Flops still a bit too tough, gonna redo that at some point now i've gotten a bit better as I like the concept.

I've put way too much time into this game, keep telling myself i've gotta get back on Xcom Enemy Within, but always end up playing Mario Maker.

Misery

Post by Misery » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:39 am

sirpigmeat wrote:
TheNewMonkey wrote:

1BFB 0000 005C DADE

1563 0000 005C 3258
Thanks, especially for the stars, finding getting that second medal pretty tough!

I'm trying real hard on the difficulty levels, glad you found it was alright. My first attempts were way too tough, just not very fun, deleted them in the end. Flip Flops still a bit too tough, gonna redo that at some point now i've gotten a bit better as I like the concept.

I've put way too much time into this game, keep telling myself i've gotta get back on Xcom Enemy Within, but always end up playing Mario Maker.
Well, I made it a little easier to get that second medal, as you just got a barrage of stars from me, as I star any level I like (unlike some players that NEVER STAR ANYTHING AT ALL, ugh). These were great!

I found them all to be pretty easy, though I suspect I'm a rare case. You seem very good at doing "puzzle" sorts of levels (something I'm bloody horrible at). If you keep doing those, you'll soon get tons more stars, I think! The Goomba one was hilarious. All of them were INTERESTING. I cant say that about many levels at all.

The real difficulty is getting these things NOTICED. I dont know how mine keep being found, for the most part, but I'm at about 75 stars at this point with my 7th level still not done. They're all getting fairly frequent plays at this point, and I have no idea why! That's seriously the one aspect of the game that bugs me. And of course interesting levels like yours go half ignored while those damn auto-levels... uuuugh. I'll stop there though, I rant about the auto-levels every damn time I talk about this game.

I'll continue trying more levels from this thread tomorrow!

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:55 am

Can't get my son off this, he's unlocked loads of new stuff, will play a few people's levels tonight :)

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:47 pm

Misery wrote: Well, I made it a little easier to get that second medal, as you just got a barrage of stars from me, as I star any level I like (unlike some players that NEVER STAR ANYTHING AT ALL, ugh). These were great!

I found them all to be pretty easy, though I suspect I'm a rare case. You seem very good at doing "puzzle" sorts of levels (something I'm bloody horrible at). If you keep doing those, you'll soon get tons more stars, I think! The Goomba one was hilarious. All of them were INTERESTING. I cant say that about many levels at all.

The real difficulty is getting these things NOTICED. I dont know how mine keep being found, for the most part, but I'm at about 75 stars at this point with my 7th level still not done. They're all getting fairly frequent plays at this point, and I have no idea why! That's seriously the one aspect of the game that bugs me. And of course interesting levels like yours go half ignored while those damn auto-levels... uuuugh. I'll stop there though, I rant about the auto-levels every damn time I talk about this game.

I'll continue trying more levels from this thread tomorrow!
Hey thanks! Finally got my second medal!

Yeah, you whizzed through them! I've been rolling back the difficulty especially in my later levels, but I find alot of them still have high mortality rates. Its funny looking at the little crosses on the maps and thinking "who died there? No one was supposed to die there!". I'm sort of thinking in a world 1 and 2 level of difficulty. So looking more to entertain rather than challenge. But i'll probly ramp it up to world 8 and beyond when I get more comfortable with what i'm doing.

I assume many random plays are by people doing 100 mario challenge? I tend to star anything that doesn't make me want to tear my own eyeballs out... so rarely :lol: . Yeah it is a little frustrating not knowing how it works... I'm not really much of a social network sorta person either so I don't really know where i'd go to share stuff online. I think people will get bored of the auto levels in the end and just want some quality gameplay.

I can't seem to help myself with the puzzles... I just see them and it has to be done... Love putting secrets in too... I actually like your idea of telling people how many lives or secrets there are on a level in a comment. Might start doing that!

Anyway another new one: Bowser Jrs. Ice House. (it actually only one small room with ice but I couldn't think of a good title again)
7591 0000 0065 EC7B

Misery

Post by Misery » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:40 pm

sirpigmeat wrote:Hey thanks! Finally got my second medal!

Yeah, you whizzed through them! I've been rolling back the difficulty especially in my later levels, but I find alot of them still have high mortality rates. Its funny looking at the little crosses on the maps and thinking "who died there? No one was supposed to die there!". I'm sort of thinking in a world 1 and 2 level of difficulty. So looking more to entertain rather than challenge. But i'll probly ramp it up to world 8 and beyond when I get more comfortable with what i'm doing.

I assume many random plays are by people doing 100 mario challenge? I tend to star anything that doesn't make me want to tear my own eyeballs out... so rarely :lol: . Yeah it is a little frustrating not knowing how it works... I'm not really much of a social network sorta person either so I don't really know where i'd go to share stuff online. I think people will get bored of the auto levels in the end and just want some quality gameplay.

I can't seem to help myself with the puzzles... I just see them and it has to be done... Love putting secrets in too... I actually like your idea of telling people how many lives or secrets there are on a level in a comment. Might start doing that!

Anyway another new one: Bowser Jrs. Ice House. (it actually only one small room with ice but I couldn't think of a good title again)
7591 0000 0065 EC7B
Yeah.... high mortality rates indeed. I know what you mean about those X marks. Sometimes I look at them and I go.... "but that shouldnt even be POSSIBLE! I'm certain it isnt!". I found one earlier today in the "traditional grasslands" level, in a section that you come down into after exiting the sub-zone, and all there is there.... is coins. And then you walk to the left (you cant go anywhere else...) and drop down back into the level. But someone died just to the RIGHT of that drop. In a little corner. With nothing whatsoever but normal blocks and some coins nearby. Does.... not.... compute.

The only problem I have with it though is that you cant see the same thing for the sub-zone, if your level has one. You cant see a small map of that either... I wish they'd put that in.

But yeah, the mortality rates... someone I know explained it pretty well by saying that it IS a Mario game at heart, and alot of players go into that series expecting a pretty easy, laid-back time, so the "standards" for difficulty are low to start with. What seems easy to the creator often isnt. Heck, I thiought my grasslands level is by far the easiest one I made... but out of 100+ people that have tried it, it still has just below a 50% completion rate. This baffles me.

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:11 am

Misery wrote:
sirpigmeat wrote:Hey thanks! Finally got my second medal!

7591 0000 0065 EC7B
Yeah.... high mortality rates indeed. I know what you mean about those X marks. Sometimes I look at them and I go.... "but that shouldnt even be POSSIBLE! I'm certain it isnt!". I found one earlier today in the "traditional grasslands" level, in a section that you come down into after exiting the sub-zone, and all there is there.... is coins. And then you walk to the left (you cant go anywhere else...) and drop down back into the level. But someone died just to the RIGHT of that drop. In a little corner. With nothing whatsoever but normal blocks and some coins nearby. Does.... not.... compute.

The only problem I have with it though is that you cant see the same thing for the sub-zone, if your level has one. You cant see a small map of that either... I wish they'd put that in.

But yeah, the mortality rates... someone I know explained it pretty well by saying that it IS a Mario game at heart, and alot of players go into that series expecting a pretty easy, laid-back time, so the "standards" for difficulty are low to start with. What seems easy to the creator often isnt. Heck, I thiought my grasslands level is by far the easiest one I made... but out of 100+ people that have tried it, it still has just below a 50% completion rate. This baffles me.
Must admit I die in some funny places myself sometimes... I'm pretty good at Mario but I don't always concentrate on what i'm doing. Mario lulls you into a false sense of security I think. Also not having to think about lives makes people even more careless. WiiU version keeps getting me as the koopas noses stick out over the square and kill you, keep forgetting.

Talking of auto courses I did this one awhile ago and I've only just uploaded it. 5657 0000 006B 0AB1 : Don't. It works, Remember not to move though!

Misery

Post by Misery » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:32 am

OKAY my 7th level is finally freaking finished. FINALLY. This one took by far the longest to do, because OMG calibration and tweaking. Over and over and over again. I'm going to see the damn thing in my nightmares after testing it so many times. I hate buzz-saws now.

A4B9-0000-006B-75D3 "The Mansion of Unnecessary Doom"

This is me being a tad more devious than in my previous levels. *I* still find this easy, but it'll be an interesting chance to see how other players deal with it. I have yet to get around to making anything of the difficulty I usually do when I make stuff, in other games or other forms of development. This one is still pretty tame. Maybe.

As always there are about 3 hidden 1-ups, a couple of special hidden items & secret areas, and many obstacles have more than one way past them this time, particularly if you can find the hidden items. But it's still kinda mean... the trick here, even in the section with the Spinys, is to take it SLOW, usually. This one rewards careful movement rather than speed. Rush too much, and you'll just die alot...

And I did make absolutely certain that this can 100% be reliably beaten without grabbing a single powerup. Good luck managing that one though...

Ugh. It seriously took forever. I havent even really gotten around to PLAYING any levels today, because I wanted to get this one done and out. I'll get back to actually playing things tomorrow.

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:01 pm

Misery wrote:OKAY my 7th level is finally freaking finished. FINALLY. This one took by far the longest to do, because OMG calibration and tweaking. Over and over and over again. I'm going to see the damn thing in my nightmares after testing it so many times. I hate buzz-saws now.

A4B9-0000-006B-75D3 "The Mansion of Unnecessary Doom"

This is me being a tad more devious than in my previous levels. *I* still find this easy, but it'll be an interesting chance to see how other players deal with it. I have yet to get around to making anything of the difficulty I usually do when I make stuff, in other games or other forms of development. This one is still pretty tame. Maybe.

As always there are about 3 hidden 1-ups, a couple of special hidden items & secret areas, and many obstacles have more than one way past them this time, particularly if you can find the hidden items. But it's still kinda mean... the trick here, even in the section with the Spinys, is to take it SLOW, usually. This one rewards careful movement rather than speed. Rush too much, and you'll just die alot...

And I did make absolutely certain that this can 100% be reliably beaten without grabbing a single powerup. Good luck managing that one though...

Ugh. It seriously took forever. I havent even really gotten around to PLAYING any levels today, because I wanted to get this one done and out. I'll get back to actually playing things tomorrow.
Excellent! Did that annoying thing though of almost getting to the end on my first go and then wasting countless lives rushing to get back to where I was before... Died 3 times on the bloody bone koopas near the entrance... Finally went and had a smoke, calmed down and came back, took it slow and got through it, some excellent bits in there. Love the timing on the chainsaws and the flame bars near the end and the room with the thwomps and magicikoopas... Thanks for all the power ups! I needed them! :D

Misery

Post by Misery » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:41 am

Okay, I got around to playing some more of these in here, all of which have been good so far. I'm mostly sure that I remembered to star them, so if you got stars/comments/whatever from "Xijaa", that'd be me.

snesfanboy

Post by snesfanboy » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:47 am

Misery wrote:Okay, I got around to playing some more of these in here, all of which have been good so far. I'm mostly sure that I remembered to star them, so if you got stars/comments/whatever from "Xijaa", that'd be me.
thanks for your stars!

i should play more levels, but i always get drawn in to create them :oops:

since i'm still at my limit of uploading 10 levels, when i've finished my 10th one (which will be today), i'm going to play a couple more