Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ShadowMan

Re: Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:23 pm

Bluce_Ree wrote:
ShadowMan wrote: Only issue I have with Geometry Wars 3 is the fact that co-op mode is restricted to local only play, no online or even ad hoc options to play it. It makes it pretty much impossible to play or complete. Pity, thanks to that I'll never plat the game which is a shame as I've got almost all the other trophies on the game now!
I maxed the game on the PS4 so I'm expecting to get close to it on this version. The co-op trophies were actually pretty easy on the PS4. So, what does local play mean? Two Vitas connecting wirelessly in close proximity?
Two people, one Vita :lol: Co-op play has both players playing on the same Vita - one using the left stick and d pad to control one ship, the other using the face buttons and right stick to control the other ship. It sucks, being the loner that I am I can't clear the later missions on my own (7 is impossible without a second player). A pity as I've done everything else...

Good job on getting DJ Max, its perhaps my favourite Vita game, definitely the one I kept coming back to the most. I'm really hyped for Superbeat, that'll be a day one purchase for sure.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:42 pm

Found a sealed copy of Tearaway in my attic today, when did I buy that?? Any good?

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:44 pm

sscott wrote:Found a sealed copy of Tearaway in my attic today, when did I buy that?? Any good?
I quite enjoyed it - it's one of those sit and dawdle titles. It might have come bundled with a Vita? I think there was a bundle with it
The Artist Formerly Known as Timothy Lumsden...

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:46 pm

Yeah, i enjoyed Tearaway too. Its kind of a mix of Animal Crossing, Littlebigplanet and Mario. Good clean fun. :)
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:49 pm

ShadowMan wrote:Two people, one Vita :lol: Co-op play has both players playing on the same Vita - one using the left stick and d pad to control one ship, the other using the face buttons and right stick to control the other ship. It sucks, being the loner that I am I can't clear the later missions on my own (7 is impossible without a second player). A pity as I've done everything else....
That's the worst thing I've ever heard!

You should go to Play Manchester, I'll be there and you're welcome to my thumbs to get it done!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:58 am

Bluce_Ree wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:Two people, one Vita :lol: Co-op play has both players playing on the same Vita - one using the left stick and d pad to control one ship, the other using the face buttons and right stick to control the other ship. It sucks, being the loner that I am I can't clear the later missions on my own (7 is impossible without a second player). A pity as I've done everything else....
That's the worst thing I've ever heard!

You should go to Play Manchester, I'll be there and you're welcome to my thumbs to get it done!
If I end up attending Play I may well take you up on that offer :lol:

Also, I was pleasantly surprised at a new digital release today, while the Megaman collection isn't getting a Vita release, VVVVVV has. I loved the 3DS version of the game and as always I had to take the chance at grabbing the Vita version. Really looking forward to playing this again :D
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:52 am

Shadowman, what is it about the vita you like so.much? I like it OK as an occasional machine on travel or if the wife is watching something I'm not keen on on TV, I do find FPS games virtually unplayable on it but platformers and SHMUPS are good.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:11 pm

sscott wrote:Shadowman, what is it about the vita you like so.much? I like it OK as an occasional machine on travel or if the wife is watching something I'm not keen on on TV, I do find FPS games virtually unplayable on it but platformers and SHMUPS are good.
Several things really. I work shifts so sometimes I'm not in the mood to play on my PS4. My Vita is always beside me in sleep mode and I can just start playing instantly. That's a huge plus.
Secondly - the smaller/indie games like VVVVV, Rogue Legacy, The Swapper, Guacamelee, Velocity, Olli Olli etc. are all great pick up and play games. I can play them for a little while when I have a few free minutes. In general they just feel at home on the system compared to playing them on a console. That's just my opinion though.
Plus the system is getting a lot of Japanese niche support - stuff like Earth Defence Force 2 (now confirmed coming to Europe), Danganrompa series, Odin Sphere, Muramassa, many Japanese music games like Miku Project Diva, IA/VT, Taiko Drum Master, Persona Dancing All Night and loads more. The Vita is the only system I end up importing stuff that may or may not get released over here physically (so its a fun machine to collect for).
Plus despite Sony not really supporting it any more, it has stuff like Killzone (the one FPS that I do really enjoy on the system), Uncharted, Wipeout, Terraway, Smart As. Oh, and fighting games like Marvel Vs Capcom 3, Blazblue, Mortal Kombat, SFxT, Dengeki Bunki etc.

So plenty of choice if you like that kind of thing, which I do :D

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:19 pm

Thank you for your detailed response, more than I deserve! ;) The game I keep returning to these days is Everybody's Golf, A bit of a Txk too. What is your favourite game?

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:21 pm

Geometry Wars 3 is lovely and addictive, great stuff.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:53 pm

sscott wrote:Thank you for your detailed response, more than I deserve! ;) The game I keep returning to these days is Everybody's Golf, A bit of a Txk too. What is your favourite game?
Hard to say, I've played lots and enjoyed lots! Gravity Rush is the one that sticks in my mind though in terms of exclusives. Its a brilliant and beauftiful game that I enjoyed from beginning to end. Either that or DJ Max Technika Tune which is a brilliant music game that has plenty of replay value and a great soundtrack. Hard as hell as well!

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:51 am

Shadowman, you keep misspelling Tearaway. :(

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:39 am

Ferret Oxide wrote:Shadowman, you keep misspelling Tearaway. :(
an amazing game, but as its coming out on the PS4 I was solely focusing on Vita exclusive games (until Gravity Rush HD finally gets announced).

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:23 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
Ferret Oxide wrote:Shadowman, you keep misspelling Tearaway. :(
an amazing game, but as its coming out on the PS4 I was solely focusing on Vita exclusive games (until Gravity Rush HD finally gets announced).
I think there are some crossed wires somewhere in this conversation. :? :)

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:01 pm

I agree with Shadowman - it's nice system to collect for. Not too many titles and the small boxes mean it doesn't kill your storage - and it's just, well, fun. I'm terrible at Hotline Miami still thought
The Artist Formerly Known as Timothy Lumsden...