Recent Project

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

van

Recent Project

Post by van » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:18 am

I just wanted to share a recent project that I have been working on for months now. It's a total "plug-n-play" job as I wanted everything to be original hardware, and if anything goes, it's easy to swap/replace.

So I picked up this dead Assault cab at a local auction for $10. When I brought it home, there was still $2.50 in quarters in the bucket, so I actually only paid $7.50.

Anyway, over the course of couple weeks, I slowly stripped it down and emptied all the guts. I put the joystick panel on ebay for a starting bid of $30 and it ended up selling for almost $300 to my surprise.

Spent a few days sanding and priming the sides, then insalled the marquee light and LCD bracket for the TV.

I had the marquee made at a local graphic design place, and I was quite happy with how it came out.

I purchased a recapped USA TurboDuo and had a region mod done so it will play all Hu Cards.

Right now, it's just painted black as I am having a hard time deciding what to put on the sides. I plan on having a couple vinyl decals made up, but I'm not sure what yet.

DPrinny

Re: Recent Project

Post by DPrinny » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:43 am

You know a generic Jamma could would of been better

ASSAULT IS A BLOODY GOOD GAME!!

merman

Post by merman » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:54 am

Love the marquee, good luck with the project
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:31 pm

It's a nice idea, but I'd like to see better integration of the sticks. At the moment, it looks a bit odd having an arcade cab with 'removable' home arcade sticks sitting on top.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:35 pm

Good luck with this. A thought from me would be for you to tweet Archer McLean the Dropzone dude. He has revamped loads of cabs including an utterly pristine Missile Command with a working trackball as you may have seen in the magazines. He could help with any issues you may have if he has a mind to answer you. Could be worth a try.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:40 pm

Looks great so far, put any thought into getting an everdrive use on it.

van

Post by van » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:25 am

Thanks for the comments so far.

I wanted everything to be original hardware/software, so I'm not interested in an everdrive. I am only 5 games short of a full USA TG16 set, so I'm pretty covered on what I want to play. I have most of the PCE games that I want as well.

Antiriad: I did struggle a bit with how to best integrate the sticks and this may be something I refine further at some point. I wanted to make them accessible to replace since they don't have a great reputation of reliability, so this was the path of least resistance to just mount them to the shelf for now. The cab is quite narrow, so there weren't many options to have two sticks other than just side by side. I thought about a thin, overlay panel that would cover the sticks, but leave the joys and buttons exposed so it looked a bit more seamless.