Action replay on Gamecube question

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

rolan

Action replay on Gamecube question

Post by rolan » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:40 pm

Hi, bit baffled by the differing information out there, but basically was wondering if anyone knew which version action replay for gamecube is the one that lets you enter cheats to access cut content in games like Zelda four swords and F-Zero GX ... basically which is the actual version you have to buy to do this and does it need to come with the purple action replay memory card? ... apparently some earlier/ later versions were gimped by datel to not be able to take the users codes and would only work with the fraction of cheat codes on the disc... does anyone know what the right version to buy is or can explain why/if the AR memory card is neccesary? thanks :D

Antiriad2097

Re: Action replay on Gamecube question

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:10 am

I've not tried what you're doing, but my Action Replay Max seemed pretty flexible, to the point I was able to boot modchip BIOS files, so I had a softmod with noneed to chip my Cube. Only ever used it a couple of times out of curiosity tbh.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:29 am

From what I can see any version of the Gamecube Action Replay prior to the 1.20 version (supposedly released "with Wii support" according to the official site) will allow code entry.

Good luck finding one in the wild though.
Where logic won't work, I will

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:25 am

I had one back in about 2003/2004 but my brother broke the disc by sitting on it. :(

Considering how much they can go for on eBay these days (although it's not quite as bad as it used to be, last one I bid on went for over £100!), make sure you have at least the cost of a brand new game set aside.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:02 am

I've got a reasonably early version of the Cube AR (I think v1.06), and I believe the memory card is like a dongle in some ways, so you need both to be able to use the disc. Also I think it is used to store all the codes you enter manually, so you don't have to type them in again.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:00 pm

There is also an alternative solution - to those who have a Broadband adapter and a copy of non-plus Phantasy Star Online. (Episode 3 & Plus - which never came out in the UK anyway - need things to be a bit more complex in order to work.

There's a Gamecube Action Replay emulator tool about online which should allow you to enter custom codes - it should be up on most Gamecube homebrew sites - as will the instructions on how to get it running.
Where logic won't work, I will