Any psion love/fans??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

junkmale

Any psion love/fans??

Post by junkmale » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:43 pm

A couple of months ago i found a psion revo for next to nothing in a Charity shop.
Haven't really looked at it until a few weeks back.
Very pleasantly surprised to find that it has a fairly large back catalogue of games available for it.
Nice, simple, playable games that don't require an analog stick or that force you to play the camera rather than the actual game.
After some research it also seems that there is a healthy fan community out there and that games for it are still be developed today, many of which go way beyond what the system was thought to be initially capable of.
Almost every game made for the whole series of psion PDA's is free to download from the internet as psion have been out of business for years.

Any other fans??
Last edited by Antiriad2097 on Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Subject typo corrected

ianpmarks

Re: Any psion love/fans??

Post by ianpmarks » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:30 am

Now you're talking, I love these machines.
I have a 5mx somewhere. The fold out keyboard is a thing of joy.
There is a great Spectrum emulator for it too, Zxemul or something. Works really well on the machine.
Last edited by Antiriad2097 on Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Subject typo corrected

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:03 am

I had a 5mx for a while, great little machine for its day (and beyond), very powerful. As mentioned, the keyboard was excellent, so it made playing games very comfortable. As expected, the Speccy emu was a fixture on mine, as well as a Z-machine interpreter for all those lovely text adventures that the keyboard beckoned. So good for emulation, I didn't play many of the native games :oops:

Sadly, it died one day, to be replaced by a Z22. That was nice with its colour screen, offering more functionality than phones of the time (though lacking a physical keyboard), but smartphones have superseded it in every way.

It's a shame the company didn't move in that direction until far too late, since for a long time they were ahead of the game.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:18 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:I had a 5mx for a while, great little machine for its day (and beyond), very powerful. As mentioned, the keyboard was excellent, so it made playing games very comfortable. As expected, the Speccy emu was a fixture on mine, as well as a Z-machine interpreter for all those lovely text adventures that the keyboard beckoned. So good for emulation, I didn't play many of the native games :oops:

Sadly, it died one day, to be replaced by a Z22. That was nice with its colour screen, offering more functionality than phones of the time (though lacking a physical keyboard), but smartphones have superseded it in every way.

It's a shame the company didn't move in that direction until far too late, since for a long time they were ahead of the game.
Actually, Psion got into smartphones very early on. They developed the EPOC operating system from the later handhelds into Symbian, before spinning that off into a separate company. After being picked up by Nokia in 2000, this went on to dominate the smartphone OS market for the next decade before Android eventually overtook it in late 2010. I suppose they were just too far ahead of the curve for their own good in the end, as the OS was dated and clunky by the time the demand was really hotting up. Despite Nokia giving it a major overhaul, it was abandoned in favour of Windows Phone when they went into partnership with Microsoft, and that was pretty much that.

Psion still exists as a company that makes handheld computers for industrial purposes though; have a quick Google for Motorola Psion - they were bought out in 2012 hence the re-brand - and you'll find some familiar looking devices.

junkmale

Post by junkmale » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:41 am

Antiriad2097........thanks for fixing what was possibly the worst typo ever!!

Check out this site here for most of the native games available for it -

http://psigamer.cyningstan.org.uk/

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:47 pm

I still have a working original Psion Organiser. It doesnt do anything really - but I do like the design and was always interested in Psion products.
The Artist Formerly Known as Timothy Lumsden...

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:55 pm

Have located my 5mx and it doesn't work (have tried all the usual fault finding strategies).... now I'm missing having one of them.
Have looked on eBay and they go for quite a bit, well more than I thought anyway. The Revo seems cheaper, but still pricey. Will have to keep an eye out for one as really want to fire up the Spectrum emulator now I've remembered it.