Modern Reboot/retouches

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Gigifusc

Re: Modern Reboot/retouches

Post by Gigifusc » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:52 pm

I still dream of a Last Ninja series HD and gameplay update.

Don't think it'll ever happen though. System 3 don't seem to have the resources. :(

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:38 pm

look at it sideways wrote:
Negative Creep wrote:Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but Final Fantasy VII would be a licence to make money (although sensible decisions seem to be against Square Enix's policy these days)
Would it, though? To remake Final Fantasy VII with anything more than an HD update would surely cost a heck of a lot of money. You'd have to devote time and resources to remake a game that's almost decades old, and that seems like a massive risk to me. It might pay off, but the risk seems pretty high.
Considering the fanbase it has I think even if they just did a straight port with a few trophies/achievements slapped on it would sell. They remastered X so VII should be easy by comparison

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:21 pm

Negative Creep wrote:
Negative Creep wrote:Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but Final Fantasy VII would be a licence to make money (although sensible decisions seem to be against Square Enix's policy these days)
Would it, though? To remake Final Fantasy VII with anything more than an HD update would surely cost a heck of a lot of money. You'd have to devote time and resources to remake a game that's almost decades old, and that seems like a massive risk to me. It might pay off, but the risk seems pretty high.
Considering the fanbase it has I think even if they just did a straight port with a few trophies/achievements slapped on it would sell. They remastered X so VII should be easy by comparison
They are doing that - it's coming out on the PS4 soon.

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:26 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:Funny, no-one really complains about songs and albums being redone every time a new platform comes out.

LP-Cassette-CD-MP3.

or films.

Betamax-VHS-DVD-Bluray. add in laserdisc, videoCD etc and some fims have been redone on a half dozen formats.

yet some people complaining about games getting a 2nd release.
On the contrary, overall I'm not complaining. I would just rather see more older titles re-made as opposed to games like the last of us. Would like to see companies take a risk or two with some of their older ip's.

Eat your nans pants

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:32 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:Funny, no-one really complains about songs and albums being redone every time a new platform comes out.

LP-Cassette-CD-MP3.

or films.

Betamax-VHS-DVD-Bluray. add in laserdisc, videoCD etc and some fims have been redone on a half dozen formats.

But MUH new tech,

Look at the years between formats
Lps 50s?
Casste 70s?
CD 90s
MP3 became popular mid 2000s

8 track is somewhere

Same kinda goes for VHS/DVD, nobody was really that arsed with LD/VCD and bluray is kinda muddling about, a lot of big films did get a few versions, Star wars is a massive culprit of it

With games most of these are remaster of games that arent even ten years old, it seemed like Last of us wasn't even out a year before it got a retouch.

Im sure that the main reason why the new gen isnt backwards compatible is so they can do this

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:42 am

DPrinny wrote: With games most of these are remaster of games that arent even ten years old, it seemed like Last of us wasn't even out a year before it got a retouch.

Im sure that the main reason why the new gen isnt backwards compatible is so they can do this
I have problems with this attitude. It's way too selective for a start. On a retro forum I'd take it as a given that people realise old games bekng ported to new and more powerful machines is nothing new. As an example, when 8-bit Mercenary was ported to the Atari ST it was a perfectly normal thing to do. And did any of us accuse the Amiga of being cynically designed so we couldn't play C64 games on it? All that's happening here is the modern industry doing a retro!

So what's changed then really? Apart from a bloated sense of entitlement on our behalf and the sense that companies somehow should give us exactly what we want but at the same time not attempt to make any money.

Remasters, retouches, bundles ... it's just ports is all. There's nothing to fear, it's business as usual.

Fear the reboots though. Our treasured IPs in the hands of idiots. I'd like to see more of the old stuff used, of course, but the track record so far has been pretty bad. Careful what you wish for. You might just get it.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:08 am

DPrinny wrote:

LP-Cassette-CD-MP3.

or films.

But MUH new tech,

Look at the years between formats
Lps 50s?
Casste 70s?
CD 90s
MP3 became popular mid 2000s

8 track is somewhere

Same kinda goes for VHS/DVD, nobody was really that arsed with LD/VCD and bluray is kinda muddling about, a lot of big films did get a few versions, Star wars is a massive culprit of it

With games most of these are remaster of games that arent even ten years old, it seemed like Last of us wasn't even out a year before it got a retouch.

Yes, but some of those films were only released on DVD a year before bluray cam out and then rereleased.

when you think about films, they release them at cinema, then they will be available to rent digitally, then to buy digitally, then on DVD and Bluray, then eventually rights sold to TV.

Nothing wrong with making a product available in as many ways as you can.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:10 am

I don't know why none of the companies have standard emus for each of the new systems with a store you can buy any of the old ROMs for. At sensible prices.

Yes, we've had vague waves in that direction with stuff like the Wii, but why so restrictive? So few games available, trickling them out to the point we lose interest. Overly expensive compared to just buying a system and a few carts (with the exception of the odd rarity).

Emus have been on the go for a couple of decades, the tech is established, we know how easy it is. We've even had a few attempts at selling legit ROMs for use with any system (Starroms for example), but this should be a no brainer now. Why no GoG for PS4?

It just seems very short sighted, trying to corral users into one system. Let us have a cross platform store, so I can buy my games and play them on any system, with the system owners taking a cut from sales that way. A trickle of small profit sales can't be any worse than a limited number of larger ones from the occasional rerelease. I've bought hundreds of games via Steam & GoG compared to a handful on the exclusive stores tied to a single console release, safe in the knowledge that my PC will just keep going - even more so with GoG, where I've been able to play games via DOSBox/SCUMMVM on my tablet. If these systems can support multiple OS, it really shouldn't be hard to extend that to a couple more for consoles.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:34 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:I don't know why none of the companies have standard emus for each of the new systems with a store you can buy any of the old ROMs for. At sensible prices.

Let us have a cross platform store, so I can buy my games and play them on any system, with the system owners taking a cut from sales that way. A trickle of small profit sales can't be any worse than a limited number of larger ones from the occasional rerelease. I've bought hundreds of games via Steam & GoG compared to a handful on the exclusive stores tied to a single console release, safe in the knowledge that my PC will just keep going - even more so with GoG, where I've been able to play games via DOSBox/SCUMMVM on my tablet. If these systems can support multiple OS, it really shouldn't be hard to extend that to a couple more for consoles.
Amen to that.
Unfortunately, where gamers see a great concept that's achievable, the industry tends to only see obstacles and cost. Licensing and an aversion to long tail profit are regular culprits in the Q&A sessions I've seen. We're also carrying the historical millstone of leaving the previous generation totally behind, a habit hardly anybody in the industry sees much point in breaking in any revolutionary way.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:39 am

Having played and really enjoyed the remastered versions of Duck Tales and Castle of Illusion (the originals are among my favourites too), I'm really hoping that some more of the Disney games get the same treatment - Chip and Dale: Rescue Rangers and World of Illusion are right at the top of that list for me.

I'm really torn about FF7 (or 8 and 9) being remastered, but I wouldn't mind seeing a modernised version of Vagrant Story.
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:56 am

RodimusPrime wrote: Yes, but some of those films were only released on DVD a year before bluray cam out and then rereleased.

when you think about films, they release them at cinema, then they will be available to rent digitally, then to buy digitally, then on DVD and Bluray, then eventually rights sold to TV.

Nothing wrong with making a product available in as many ways as you can.
True but we aint talking about a £10/15 DVD Bluray here, we are talking a £40+ game, by all means release a game on a load of formats, but it seems like current gen is all reboots/remasters and very little of anything new

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:15 am

The Beans wrote:
I have problems with this attitude. It's way too selective for a start. On a retro forum I'd take it as a given that people realise old games bekng ported to new and more powerful machines is nothing new. As an example, when 8-bit Mercenary was ported to the Atari ST it was a perfectly normal thing to do. And did any of us accuse the Amiga of being cynically designed so we couldn't play C64 games on it? All that's happening here is the modern industry doing a retro!

So what's changed then really? Apart from a bloated sense of entitlement on our behalf and the sense that companies somehow should give us exactly what we want but at the same time not attempt to make any money.

Remasters, retouches, bundles ... it's just ports is all. There's nothing to fear, it's business as usual.
Absolutely 100 percent bang on.
Porting games to different systems with tarted up graphics is as old as games themselves. Is some clown going to try and explain why it wasn't the same in the retro days as it is now? It's been going on since we had various platforms and generational hardware gaps. It's just the standard modern gaming apathy from the usual suspects, move along please, nothing to see here.

On the question of reboots, you're at the mercy of the developer, they don't always get it right, right?
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

thebear

Post by thebear » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:34 am

Negative Creep wrote:
Aren't they already doing that? PS4 release due fairly soon I believe (straight port I mean of the latest PC version, rather than full HD)
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:59 pm

Id forgotten about that one. Not sure how I could after that hilarious press conference where the audience went crazy over what seemed to be a remaster and go stone silent when they realised it was a straight port :D

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:35 am

SpockIOM wrote:Having played and really enjoyed the remastered versions of Duck Tales and Castle of Illusion (the originals are among my favourites too), I'm really hoping that some more of the Disney games get the same treatment - Chip and Dale: Rescue Rangers and World of Illusion are right at the top of that list for me.

I'm really torn about FF7 (or 8 and 9) being remastered, but I wouldn't mind seeing a modernised version of Vagrant Story.
And there's the problem right there - opinion. People's opinions vary wildly on what's a good thing and what's a bad thing.

I thought the update of Castle of Illusion was really quite poor - had none of the playability of the older game.

I would have preferred an HD update myself.

So with such varying opinion, it's difficult to really decide on what's a good thing to do and what's not. Personally, I think the remakes and HD update are cynical on behalf of the publishers because they are easy cash ins. We buy them because we're suckers.
;)