play blackpool, 2-5 may 2015

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809
Posts: 18846
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Re: play blackpool, 2-5 may 2015

Post by psj3809 » Thu May 07, 2015 11:16 am

Mayhem wrote:Personally I would NEVER advocate using wrist bands for an event over multiple days, unless you issue a different band for each day. Having one band for three days is bad practice imo, because anything can happen to them over that time period. Including wanting to take a shower, and that you often get quite sweaty wrists underneath it! Better thing imo would be a printed pass in a lanyard with number of days shown on it and the person's name. Or is that not done either to prevent people selling on their passes? All big US events I've been to have printed passes in lanyards for the entire show, and I've not seen that adversely affect them.
I was with MohicanKid that morning when he was dishing out the wristbands to everyone, he did say to people if the wristband breaks or whatever just show your ticket and you'll get a new wristband. As you say you probably wont keep it on for 3 days.

Again all you had to do was show your ticket on your phone (or print it out) to get in the next day.

User avatar
MikeFishcake
Posts: 1176
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:10 am
Location: Manchester/Stockport
Contact:

Re: play blackpool, 2-5 may 2015

Post by MikeFishcake » Thu May 07, 2015 11:29 am

I too thought it was standard and well-known practise to keep a wristband for the duration of an event, but if this isn't clear to some people, perhaps future confirmation emails could say "On arrival, you will be given a wristband, which you must keep hold of to be granted admission for all days you've booked for" or something along those lines?

Out of interest, compared to the number of multi-day purchases, how many people told the staff on the door they didn't know they had to keep their wristband for multiple days?

As DPrinny says, wristbands are pretty robust and showerproof. Mine did get a little bit tatty, but didn't show any sign of breaking. Also, at Play Expo last year, my son's wristband got into a state where I was worried it would get broken, so I just took it to the front desk, explained what had happened and they happily swapped his wristband for another one.

I think lanyards are more likely to get lost (and sorting out personalised ones for over that number of people would be a logistical nightmare).

User avatar
Lorfarius
Posts: 3601
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:06 pm
Location: Glossop - North West
Contact:

Re: play blackpool, 2-5 may 2015

Post by Lorfarius » Thu May 07, 2015 11:33 am

psj3809 wrote:
Mayhem wrote:Personally I would NEVER advocate using wrist bands for an event over multiple days, unless you issue a different band for each day. Having one band for three days is bad practice imo, because anything can happen to them over that time period. Including wanting to take a shower, and that you often get quite sweaty wrists underneath it! Better thing imo would be a printed pass in a lanyard with number of days shown on it and the person's name. Or is that not done either to prevent people selling on their passes? All big US events I've been to have printed passes in lanyards for the entire show, and I've not seen that adversely affect them.
I was with MohicanKid that morning when he was dishing out the wristbands to everyone, he did say to people if the wristband breaks or whatever just show your ticket and you'll get a new wristband. As you say you probably wont keep it on for 3 days.

Again all you had to do was show your ticket on your phone (or print it out) to get in the next day.
I had my printed ticket as I've said a few times, the one with all the details on including a QR code. This all happened on the second day.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

User avatar
Bluce_Ree
Posts: 1064
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 6:50 am

Re: play blackpool, 2-5 may 2015

Post by Bluce_Ree » Thu May 07, 2015 12:06 pm

Great stuff, you guys. But changing the subject ever so slightly, what version of Salamander was that cab that was there? It wasn't the Salamander I remember, it seemed a whole lot swisher.

Also, if you were the guy next to it DOMINATING Kung Fu Master. Thanks for making me feel rubbish at games forever!
Image

User avatar
ArchaicKoala
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:52 am

Re: play blackpool, 2-5 may 2015

Post by ArchaicKoala » Fri May 08, 2015 4:47 am

Bluce_Ree wrote: what version of Salamander was that cab that was there? It wasn't the Salamander I remember, it seemed a whole lot swisher.
I think it was the updated Japanese release of the game which was titled "Life Force" - I can't confirm this though as I never saw the title screen but the graphical upgrades definitely make me think it was that version.
Great game I'll add :wink:

User avatar
subzero
Posts: 944
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:29 am
Location: scotland

Re: play blackpool, 2-5 may 2015

Post by subzero » Sat May 09, 2015 11:35 am

sounds like i missed out on a great event guys!

User avatar
thingonaspring
Posts: 1890
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:43 pm
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: play blackpool, 2-5 may 2015

Post by thingonaspring » Mon May 11, 2015 8:55 am

Did anybody buy one of those little mini-drones? They looked pretty cool, and I was *almost* tempted. But I changed my mind at the last, because I know I wouldn't use it as much as I ought to.

User avatar
MikeFishcake
Posts: 1176
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:10 am
Location: Manchester/Stockport
Contact:

Re: play blackpool, 2-5 may 2015

Post by MikeFishcake » Mon May 11, 2015 8:57 am

thingonaspring wrote:Did anybody buy one of those little mini-drones? They looked pretty cool, and I was *almost* tempted. But I changed my mind at the last, because I know I wouldn't use it as much as I ought to.
I know what you mean - I like the idea of them but think that the novelty would soon wear off :)

User avatar
thingonaspring
Posts: 1890
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:43 pm
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: play blackpool, 2-5 may 2015

Post by thingonaspring » Mon May 11, 2015 9:19 am

I wasn't sure how much of a saving it was in real terms, because I've never looked in to the prices before :D
But £120 down to £70 or whatever it was did sound good. I just don't know if it was more like £70 instead of £75 in real terms :lol:

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26810
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: play blackpool, 2-5 may 2015

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon May 11, 2015 10:39 am

ArchaicKoala wrote:
Bluce_Ree wrote: what version of Salamander was that cab that was there? It wasn't the Salamander I remember, it seemed a whole lot swisher.
I think it was the updated Japanese release of the game which was titled "Life Force" - I can't confirm this though as I never saw the title screen but the graphical upgrades definitely make me think it was that version.
Great game I'll add :wink:
This is a weird one, title wise.

There was an initial release of Salamander in Japan. This is what we also got in Europe.

For the US release, it was retitled Life Force, with a few tweaks (nothing major, just scene setting text mostly, gameplay is the same).

There was then a revamped Japanese rerelease, which also carried the Life Force name. For this one, they changed the power up system, so instead of picking up specific weapon power ups, a selectable power up system just as in the earlier Nemesis/Gradius is in effect. Collect power up pods to move along the weapons bar and activate on your chosen weapon power up.

Personally I prefer the less fiddly original.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
Arcadian
Posts: 467
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:37 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: play blackpool, 2-5 may 2015

Post by Arcadian » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:05 am

For anybody that didn't make the evening screenings of the Atari World 1-1 movie, here's a recording of Jeff Minter introducing the Sunday evening session.

He references the current state of affairs with the current "Atari", so it's quite an interesting watch.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest