Renting videotapes

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

TheDude18

Re: Renting videotapes

Post by TheDude18 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:49 pm

SCALEBACK wrote:http://www.pre-cert.co.uk/search.php?t= ... =UK&id=237
Most of these're obscure now.

What a great site! Thanks for the link. Brought back a lot of memories (and according to some covers, mamories! :lol: )
My Uncle bought out a Video rental shop back in the day and slowly sold off the large collection of videos to friends and family. Even now he still has a small collection of videos, many of which are pre-cert. I'll have to call in one day and catalog them as I bet my uncle wont have a clue on how collectible they have become.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:48 pm

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:00 pm

^ Judging by some other videos I've seen that title definitely does not ring true!

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:25 pm

and thats why the internet was invented :lol:

scunny

Post by scunny » Tue May 12, 2015 10:49 am

In the early 80s we didn't have a VCR, but my old many would go to his mate on a Friday night and come back with a VCR and a few movies that we would watch, never knew what we would get, dodgy copies of the latest movies. As I have said on a previous thread, we watched E.T. and I went to school banging on about it and nobody had a clue what I was talking about.

Later when we got our own video player we used to rent from this video shop a few streets down, I remember hiring the star trek next generation episodes as they came out.

They also had a rotating display of mastertronic games which I used to spend my 1.99 on.
XBL: RainMan 999
(Add me for some overwatch!)

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:18 pm

Another good thing about old video rental shops was buying the ex-rental copies of films. Usually it meant that you got the film before it was released on retail. The ex-rental copies came in a slightly bigger case. I remember buying "Goldeneye" and "LA Confidental" this way.

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Tue May 02, 2017 2:36 pm

I grew up on R rated horror films from about the age of 8 on-wards. I can still remember Nightmare on Elmstreet 3 making it impossible for me to sleep without the light on. Those were great times as that's how I became a horror film buff by watching them from such a young age.
Hell, I saw Hell Raiser and Texas Chainsaw Massacre when I was 10 and Bloodsucking Freaks when I was 12. With that film though I had to turn it off as my mum came into the room when the freaks were hacking a woman's arm off with a hacksaw. When mum went to bed, me and my mate who was sleeping over put it back on. Despite such scenes like a woman eating a man's penis in a hotdog, it was quite a boring film as it really went on for far too long.

Who can forget Scream? That film came out just before mobile phones were taking off and the phone bit at the beginning still manages to startle me when she gets the question wrong. Shame the rest of the film couldn't live up to its first act.

Goldenduster

Post by Goldenduster » Mon May 22, 2017 2:23 pm

Late 80s / Early 90s we were lucky enough to have two VCRs (think due to my uncle working for Martin Dawes or somewhere like that). Although one was a top loading affair with a corded remote control :lol:

I remember as a 6/7 year old setting them up so that I could make a copy of anything we rented which went well until someone decided to rewind the VCR that was doing the playing. Or the tracking went...

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Tue May 23, 2017 12:51 am

There's a few things that haven't made their way to the new digital formats, I'm thinking of The Godfather - 1902-1959 : The Complete Epic. It was the first two films but done chronologically as a TV mini series, it also included some extra scenes. There was also the The Godfather Trilogy 1901-1980, which was a similar thing, but included the third film. In the UK, they were only ever released on VHS. Apparently it's quite a good take on the old films.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:12 am

Goldenduster wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 2:23 pm
Late 80s / Early 90s we were lucky enough to have two VCRs (think due to my uncle working for Martin Dawes or somewhere like that). Although one was a top loading affair with a corded remote control :lol:
Our Betamax video recorder(a Sony) had a corded remote control. We only got it out for when we were taping films off TV, and wanted to edit out the adverts. It's strange isn't it? A corded remote - just thinking about it nowadays.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:14 am

I remember the huge lines of Star Trek and Babylon 5 tapes on the stands in HMV. WIth the amount of room and money they must have demanded, you had to be proper committed to own the whole series of those tv shows back then. Now you can carry them in your pocket.

My first ever VHS experience was Ghostbusters, and I can remember repeatedly hiring Robot Jox.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:20 pm

SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:14 am
I remember the huge lines of Star Trek and Babylon 5 tapes on the stands in HMV. WIth the amount of room and money they must have demanded, you had to be proper committed to own the whole series of those tv shows back then. Now you can carry them in your pocket.

My first ever VHS experience was Ghostbusters, and I can remember repeatedly hiring Robot Jox.
Yeah, those Star Trek(mainly it was The Next Generation) tapes always took up a lot of space. I always saw them in Woolworths(where it was okay actually, because they only used to buy in about 2 or 4 at a time - and only the new ones) and Volume One Bookshop(that was different - they had a whole wall of shelves devoted to all the tapes of different seasons, and always got in new ones). I only ever bought a handful of tapes - thank goodness I was not in full employment at the time or I dread to think how much money I would have spent.

My first experience with VHS(we had a Betamax before hand though) was ET. I think we actually borrowed my aunt and uncle's VHS to view a pirate tape of it, must have been in 1986. We did change over to VHS in early 1988. A Philips mono deck with auto tracking and on screen display and a proper remote control - that things lasted for years and had heavy use. I think it worked from 1988 to 1997. The family had two other VHS machines after - and one only lasted about 2 years(how's that for build quality). The last one was a JVC stereo version with long play as well - oh, and bookmarking for the start of recordings on tape - so you could do a search on the tape. I think my Dad still used it until about 2003, then he got a DVD recorder.

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:26 am

When ET came out we rented out a copy of ET from the video-shop( remember those?) which had a terrible blurry image indicating that even some videoshops were getting into buying pirated copies. Cheeky mongrels and especially when its from what should have been a legit source.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:18 pm

my videotape rental carried on till the mid 2000s, having spent the equivalent of a week's wages on a tv/vcr combi in about 2002 which was worth about 4 times that amount new, I decided the best way to get my moneys worth was to use it. The video rental places were expensive and dvds were expensive- something like £5 for a film for 2 nights, vhs tapes were 3 for £5 for a week for anything over about 6 months-a year old.

As my job at the time was in retail and working at short notice was an expectation. I found out that my hometown had a market stall that sold (not rented sold) videos for £2.50 each or 5 for £10, and if you watched something, you could swap it for something else for the same price for £1.

Every time I was off on a market day, I took my backpack to the market and traded in my previous purchases, sometimes a bag full of videos could be watched in a week and a half (if I was on holiday) or could take a month if work was busy. It suited me as I didn't have to care that I had paid for a rental, it was my tape to take back if/when I wanted. Loads of the tapes were ex rental which didn't bother me one bit.

These days i buy dvds from cex for 50p each of blu rays for about £2, I have netflix and amazon but if something I want to watch isnt on there I'll just go and buy it

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:54 am

That reminds me of chopping-in N64 games at my local indie. I'd keep them for a week or so then go back and part-ex them against anything that I liked the look of.

It mostly crap like SF Rush or Extreme G.