Sensible Soccer - consoles

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

greenberet79

Sensible Soccer - consoles

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:29 am

Bit of a discussion going on in Feedback about the sports rundown in the latest issue. I haven't played Sensi on the Amiga for about 20 years now, which got me thinking - which is the best console version? I've only ever really played the Megadrive version, which is pretty ace (though obviously not SWOS ace).

I tried the Mega CD version over the weekend but was disappointed. Maybe I had the sound files set up wrong but there was no menu music and no crowd cheer when goals are scored.

So, what's the best console version out there?
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

psj3809

Re: Sensible Soccer - consoles

Post by psj3809 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:38 am

Probably in the minority here but i was always a Kick Off fan on the Amiga. Tried Sensible Soccer but compared to Kick Off i was never much of a fan. I know Sensi is huge but thats just one game i never 'got the love' for. After Kick off i was playing Player Manager season after season on the Amiga

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:44 am

I liked Kick Off 2, and LOVED Kevin Keegan's Player Manager on the Snes - made by Anco and a Kick Off style game. Man I was addicted to it back in 93/94.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:40 am

pick me pick me :D flings hand up in air

md is excellent (both, there are 2 different ones)
snes is also excellent
master system is crap
ps2 i enjoyed but some don't think its as authentic as the 90s versions
cd32 is ok, md and snes better

i'm a little bit obsessed with sensible soccer

DaveDoc1984

Post by DaveDoc1984 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:48 am

greenberet79 wrote:I tried the Mega CD version over the weekend but was disappointed. Maybe I had the sound files set up wrong but there was no menu music and no crowd cheer when goals are scored.

I have a retail boxed copy of Sensi on the Mega CD and it works fine. Game plays exactly the same as the Normal Mega Drive version.

I have also played Sensi on the Amiga A1200 and it plays pretty much the same. Can't really tell any difference.
In to Retro Gaming Pickup's? Light hearted reviews of both Modern Day and Retro Video Games? Check out my YouTube Channel!

http://www.youtube.com/DaveDoc1984
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1ESj3JPPnT

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:50 am

greenberet79 wrote:Bit of a discussion going on in Feedback about the sports rundown in the latest issue. I haven't played Sensi on the Amiga for about 20 years now, which got me thinking - which is the best console version? I've only ever really played the Megadrive version, which is pretty ace (though obviously not SWOS ace).

I tried the Mega CD version over the weekend but was disappointed. Maybe I had the sound files set up wrong but there was no menu music and no crowd cheer when goals are scored.

My Mega CD version works fine too.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:12 am

RetroBob wrote:
greenberet79 wrote:Bit of a discussion going on in Feedback about the sports rundown in the latest issue. I haven't played Sensi on the Amiga for about 20 years now, which got me thinking - which is the best console version? I've only ever really played the Megadrive version, which is pretty ace (though obviously not SWOS ace).

My Mega CD version works fine too.
the CD32 version is good, apart from the loading times. The Game Gear version is better than the Master System version, which is odd as you'd think they'd be the same.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:14 am

The Mega CD version is excellent, one of the best in fact. Not only does it have some nice extras over the cart version it also has some of the best sound in sports games of that era, especially the epic "hitting the post" effect!

Best console version though is on the Jaguar, as well as the extra graphical and audio polish that you would expect it has one huge improvement over the other - improved A.I.! Let's face it the computer wasn't the best in the other versions and the goalkeepers were terrible, in the Jag version they are much improved and it makes for a far better game - no 14-0 scorelines here!

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:30 am

Looks like I need to sort out my mega cd files. Or buy one!

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:22 pm

How about the 360 XBLA version? Growing up I always had FIFA/ISS so never actually played it properly before then (and still can't figure out how to properly play it, I know I've complained about modern FIFA being too complex but going back to one button is very hard)

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:04 pm

I've got both Kick Off and Sensible Soccer (not sure which one) on the SNES - I'm not the greatest fan of football games though, so I can't really compare them fairly. The only football game I ever actually enjoyed back in the day was ISS.
Where logic won't work, I will

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:03 pm

Negative Creep wrote:How about the 360 XBLA version? Growing up I always had FIFA/ISS so never actually played it properly before then (and still can't figure out how to properly play it, I know I've complained about modern FIFA being too complex but going back to one button is very hard)
It's bloody awful, avoid it.

Stainy

Post by Stainy » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:25 pm

Kick Off and Player Manager fans might enjoy this then :)

It`s also on Google play.

I`m one of the devs/massive PM fan...

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:45 am

The Laird wrote:
Negative Creep wrote:How about the 360 XBLA version? Growing up I always had FIFA/ISS so never actually played it properly before then (and still can't figure out how to properly play it, I know I've complained about modern FIFA being too complex but going back to one button is very hard)
It's bloody awful, avoid it.
Agreed - all they needed to do was a straight port and yet everything's just a bit off. None of the old tricks work - yes, it's good that it's more difficult to score a goal but now they've made it a little TOO difficult.

No mention of the Game Boy version yet - to be honest, it's best left unmentioned. :(

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:09 am

Aww it's not that bad! I remember buying that from Special Reserve.
Xbox Live: RetroBob