Discuss Time! Issue 141 Your first gaming purchase

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Darran@Retro Gamer

Discuss Time! Issue 141 Your first gaming purchase

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:23 am

As above really. What's the first game you purchased? Were you happy, were you angry? Let us know and we'll print the best ones.

AceGrace

Re: Discuss Time! Issue 141 Your first gaming purchase

Post by AceGrace » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:29 am

First game I bought was 3D defender for the ZX81.

I was initially confused (being 11) but got the hang of it after a while.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:24 am

The first game I bought myself was Gauntlet for the Spectrum and I couldn't have been happier, it was a great conversion of one of my all-time favourite arcade games and also allowed me to play with my brother saving arguments over who got the computer!

tapmantwo

Post by tapmantwo » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:38 am

I was quite lucky in that my parents bought me quite a bunch of stuff for my first computer (C64).

However, the first purchase I remember making with my hard earned pocket money was a pack of 4 games from Comet, one of which was a game called Ghouls by Micro Power. Despite not being very good at it, I loved that game at the time. I think this was partly because I stumped up the cash for it, but also I liked the characters too.

Looking back on it, it wasn't actually that good...

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:41 am

Tough to think back that far. I remember my first Mastertronic budget purchase, Gnasher, a blocky Pac Man clone.

But the earliest I can remember buying myself was Orbiter by Silversoft for the Spectrum, a clone of Williams' Defender. Looking at it now it's a bit cheap and flickery, but at the time I was happy as could be, swooping around and zapping the baddies. I don't really remember if it actually had the humans to rescue, or if I just wasn't aware you had to...

Tell a lie, well, sort of - I vaguely remember my brother and I going 50:50 on Penetrator for the Spectrum, an early Scramble clone from Melbourne House that included a level editor. It was fun to play, though the controls (tap right to fire, press fire to bomb) took a bit of getting used to, and the last bit at the end was highly ambiguous. I also remember making my own key-pressing levered joystick from LEGO for moving the ship up and down, before we had a proper joystick and interface.
Last edited by joefish on Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:16 am

When I was ten, I went into Dixons with my mum to buy a C16 but the shop assistant talked my mum out of it and we ended up taking home a ZX Spectrum+. Whoever that guy was, he is my hero. I then spent my pocket money on a £1.99 budget game which was Pengo. A fairly decent conversion of the arcade game.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:43 am

My first gaming purchase was a Nintendo Gameboy, my paper round money & Saturday job was not going to go too far in terms of getting a new one. But there was one guy in my class who always bought things and got bored of them within 2 weeks....so after 2 weeks, he let me borrow the Gameboy on trail over the weekend (with Tetris), I loved it so much I went to Dixons and bought Super Mario Land and the battery pack, keeping my fingers crossed he would still want to sell me the Gameboy the following Monday. Thankfully he did and I still have that very console and game all in their original boxes in my loft. I think Mario Land was one of the only times in my life I paid full price for a game too.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

merman

Post by merman » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:40 am

Bundled with our first C64 we got Arcadia 64 and 3D Time Trek. The first game we bought was classic flick-screen budget title Booty.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:31 pm

The first family computer was an Acorn Electron, first game I think was Micro Olympics. I really loved this at the time, have not played it since to spoil the nostalgia.

My first purchase would have been for the spectrum, budget, mastertronic = One man and his droid. I don't really enjoy platformers today, I doubt this title is the reason for it!

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:30 pm

Think it was Vegas Jackpot by Mastertronic for the Vic20 - £1.99 plus I had a few pence left from my pocket money to buy some KP Tandoori flavour crisps!!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:56 pm

I first owned an Atari 2600 but most of the cartridges were out of my price range so I had to rely on receiving them as birthday & christmas presents at first. A year later, I got a Vic 20 and remember going out to buy Crazy Kong by Interceptor Software for about £5.95 I think. I spent hours on it back then and really enjoyed it but having tried it recently, it is terrible! One of those games that is best left as a fond memory.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:28 pm

Ah, that would be Defender on the Apple II. I couldn't believe my luck as a kid seeing a brand new unopened Atarisoft version at the local Trash 'n' Treasure market for $2, after having drooled at computer shops forever at the usual $100 Apple games. And as my parents might have said at the time, "You'll be in your cold, cold grave before we ever buy you one of those damn games, hahaha!"; I think the laughter hurt more than the lack of games, or rubbish quip.
The game itself was a solid effort, although I found out quite quickly I wasn't really actually a Defender fan. But still, the excitement of having an original Apple II game as a penniless kid was rather a Big Thing for me at the time. And these Big Thing's in ones life, are indeed, ne'er forgotten.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:00 pm

Astronut on the Spectrum, I don't recall ever doing a screen on it.
Splink!

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:08 pm

The first game I actually bought with my own money was Activision Grand Prix on the Atari 2600. I used all my birthday money and it cost me £30. I absolutely loved it and played it to death. I even managed to get the lowest time possible on the first course... I took a Polaroid of it but I don't think my parents ever posted it to get my patch!

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:56 pm

Tranz-Am for 16k Spectrum. Loved it at the time.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD