Mixtapes

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Analog

Re: Mixtapes

Post by Analog » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:09 pm

was rather proud of my helmet mixtape which featured all my favourite songs they did. also did the thing where i'd tape off the radio when I was younger and sometimes made mixes with turntables, a mixer and vinyl and recorded to tape. good times! :D

dwitefry

Post by dwitefry » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:23 am

I think i still have some of my Punk and New Wave mix tapes *noses around CD racks* I do! I Shall remake them as playlists and listen to loads of Wreckless Eric and The Damned.

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:51 pm

Mix tapes :D .

It was a frequent hobby of mine, first it was nearly always tape to tape jobs and then later on it was CD to tape jobs (mix tape for the car :wink: ), I reckon I did it up until the very late 90's. Towards the end I had a brilliant triple CD hifi made by Aiwa. You could pre program it and it would work out all the awkward stuff for you, even to the point of pausing the tape decks while it swapped cd's etc. My god was it loud too! I bloody loved that hifi.

Nowadays it's obviously the iPod that has centre stage, although I'm guilty of never making a playlist. Which is odd given how simple that is by comparison!

Eat your nans pants

tachi

Post by tachi » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:36 pm

Did it all the time yeah.
Even now I make mix CDs for the car and have a few I rotate, namely my favourite 40 or so tracks on one or my fave anime/vg tracks on another.
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:11 am

crusto wrote:
Nowadays it's obviously the iPod that has centre stage, although I'm guilty of never making a playlist. Which is odd given how simple that is by comparison!
maybe its less fun and less involved ?
creating a tape was a long involved process and you had to get it right but there was a real satisfaction in finishing one
creating a play list is boring and easy
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

vice350z

Post by vice350z » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:54 am

lol, excellent topic. I remember making bunch of dance music mix tapes for myself and friends. For whoever I was dating at the moment I would make a love mix tape. I still have the one I gave my first girlfriend. I remember she through it in a box of crap she gave me back when we broke up back in 1995 or so.

I remember the one day seeing an ad for a Phillips CD Recorder for your rack system. I was like "holy crap, i can make mix CDs!!!!"...bought one for I think $500 back in the mid 90's. Sucked cuz it recorded in real time. Then once i learned of MP3's and CD burners for PCs were becoming popular it was way easier to make a mixCD.

Good memories from the 90's.

vice350z

Post by vice350z » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:55 am

crusto wrote:Mix tapes :D .

It was a frequent hobby of mine, first it was nearly always tape to tape jobs and then later on it was CD to tape jobs (mix tape for the car :wink: ), I reckon I did it up until the very late 90's. Towards the end I had a brilliant triple CD hifi made by Aiwa. You could pre program it and it would work out all the awkward stuff for you, even to the point of pausing the tape decks while it swapped cd's etc. My god was it loud too! I bloody loved that hifi.

Did the CD player on your Aiwa break too?

EDIT: Crap, i just asked a question to a guy who posted that almost 2 years ago now.

MattySlug

Post by MattySlug » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:52 am

Lately the last Year or so I have been loving Making Myself Mixtapes.
Here's an Instagram post of my last one which was only the other day 8)
https://www.instagram.com/p/B-dof4oh0Nb/

I love at the end or start of songs that are a bit quiet to add snippets from TV Shows or Movies or Sports Broadcasts and such.
In fact I enjoy re-listening to those bits instead of the actual songs!

I bought 2 more Tapes to make mixes of this past week but the new stock tapes have no cool picture on it, plus they have gone up from $2.50 each to $3 each :cry:
There was one glitch in the latest tape, a quarter of the way through it stuttered a bit sadly but ah well.

MattySlug

Post by MattySlug » Mon May 11, 2020 11:47 pm

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAA2sH-gewh/

Last Friday Night I made a Side A for me mate Nicky, then 10 minutes into Side B I realized I was taping over a mix from a month ago so I butchered (kept parts of original mix and added new songs/snippets.)that tape and the other night I re-recorded Side A for him on a different tape.

That Instagram link at the top of this post is the pictures I took whilst making the new tape for him :D

merman

Post by merman » Tue May 12, 2020 3:43 pm

Recorded a couple of tapes of computer music back in the day.
I have made mix CDs more recently.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

MattySlug

Post by MattySlug » Tue May 19, 2020 11:48 am

I Had a bad run of luck with buying fresh brand new Cassette tapes from various $2 Shops lately.
I think I've had 4 to 6 bad ones that didn't get the job done!

But Tonight (it's 1:48am here) I am successfully taping a mixtape (2nd attempt tonight after first tape stopped after 40 seconds) for tomorrow night's guests to the home, the tape was brand new from a bunch I got from a Charity Shop (Op Shop) late last Year for a total of about 10 tapes for $2 in total!!!
Brand new as in that it's still in the pack, but it was bought brand new by original owner in the late 80s or early 90s going by the price tag company on it.
I wanted to keep the plastic wrapper and put it up on the wall but I was too eager to open it and did it frantically! :lol:

CosmoDreamy

Post by CosmoDreamy » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:50 pm

the OP wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:41 pm
Found one earlier that I had made years ago which featured the likes of Guns 'n' Roses, Skid Row, AC/DC and Black Sabbath amongst others. I used to make them all the time and used to have some rather different bands next to each other like one tape I did had Sepultura 'Roots' followed by a Def Leppard ballard which actually worked. :lol:
I really want to hear the whole track listing :D

My dad had a lot of “mixed” CDs that he burnt himself years ago, if that counts. I’ve been thinking to do the same for myself at some point for different purposes! :P

Wait 🦆ing heck, it’s another spambot again
But sometimes you feel it, d'you know how it is
You wake up in the morning and everything thing fits
I'm still hoping tomorrow feels like this
My perfect day~

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:52 am

No, DSTE was a real user, he's just not been around for a while.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

CosmoDreamy

Post by CosmoDreamy » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:27 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:52 am
No, DSTE was a real user, he's just not been around for a while.
A spambot copy pasted the OP of the thread and I only noticed after I replied - Seems that’s becoming a common thing here... :/
But sometimes you feel it, d'you know how it is
You wake up in the morning and everything thing fits
I'm still hoping tomorrow feels like this
My perfect day~

MattySlug

Post by MattySlug » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:05 am

I got given a whole box of Church Tapes to re-record over!!!