Discuss Time! Issue 140 Retro Bargains

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ArchaicKoala

Re: Discuss Time! Issue 140 Retro Bargains

Post by ArchaicKoala » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:47 am

As I've mentioned in a previous thread, mine would have be be a NES I picked up back in 2000/1 from a car boot for £3 which came with Street Gangs, TMHT, Mission Impossible and Gyromite

davyK

Post by davyK » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:28 pm

CIB PAL Castlevania:SOTN in Game for £7. Was used but in excellent condition.

Picked up the N64 RAM expansion pack for a couple of quid in Ca$h Converters as they had it mis-labelled as a memory pack.

Wavebird for £5 in the GAME clearance bin.

Mancman

Post by Mancman » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:58 pm

I managed to bag a copy of Conkers Bad Furday for $5 at a pawn shop when I was living in Australia, kept hold of it and I stuck it on eBay for a healthy profit when I came back to the UK!

Funny thing was, I never even got round to playing it as i didn't have an N64 at the time.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:44 pm

Mint Pal Dreamcast Canon Spike from Cash Convertors 99p

Mint Pal PS1 Legend of Kartia £1.99 from a charity shop

both sell for insane amounts on Ebay still have them for the collection
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Gordon Bennett

Post by Gordon Bennett » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:42 pm

I traded a jumping spider toy that I bought from my work at the time for an Atari ST with colour monitor. I later sold it to a friend who wanted it to run a MIDI setup for a token payment that still ended up turning me a profit.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:33 pm

Where do I start!!

Some memorable stuff would probably be: A box of Nintendo items at a jumble sale back in 2000, this is what got me collecting Snes again. In the box, were a Snes with about 10 Snes games, most minty boxed, Sunset Riders was one of them, Super Pang, Mario World, Mario Kart etc, plus a NES with 3 or 4 games, one was duckhunt/Mario and one was Zelda, plus an import adapater for the snes, I asked the lady how much it was, a fiver she said! I could not have paid her fast enough.

I've had a lot of good Arcade PCBs in joblots, I remember paying £6.52 for a box of untested ones on ebay, there were 12 in the box, one was a working Juno First PCB.

I saw a guy selling off his console collections at a local car boot...I'd just bought a megadrive so was on the lookout for games, some of his were quite pricey, but I did get another boxed Sunset Riders for £5 (which I sold on). A week later, I was looking for some of my fav megadrive games and found a local advert in my Friday ad, Games lot - Sega Megadrive - £55, Games lot - Snes - £55. Called up and went round after work, it was the same guy, quite literally everything he had not sold in 2 massive bundles. I took all the MD stuff, which must have been about 200 games, most complete for £50, I didn't have £100 in my bank, so took 10 Snes games for an extra £10, things like Ghouls n Ghosts, Adventure Island. But the MD lot was awesome had all my fav games in one big hit including Turtles, Castlevania and some of the pricey ones.....I so wish I'd just gone overdrawn and bought the Snes stuff as well.

I guess the best and biggest thing I bought was an entire garage's worth of magazines. Nearly every issue of CVG, and huge runs if not completes of PS1 mags, Sinclair User, Your Sinclair, ZZap, NMS, Mean Machines, Sega Power, Megatech, Saturn Magazine and many many more publications. The seller used to advertise and follow the prices of games for his business, so literally bought/subscribed to nearly every mag. They sat for years stacked in his garage.......price £10 the lot! My car could only take a certain amount of weight, I did 2 runs, and many other mags got left behind.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:28 pm

An absolutely mint Atari VCS (my 4th) for £5 at a carboot (that good I'm not even sure it had ever been used) this was over 15 years ago though!

A Dreamcast and a LOT of games (including Shenmue 1 & 2) for nothing from a guy at work.

ArcadeMYK

Post by ArcadeMYK » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:56 am

for me my number 1 was an event that happened back in 2001 which coincidently was the key moment in my life which set off my hobbie/habit/addiction for collecting and playing retro games:

October-ish 2001 i found then swiftly bought (kept & cherished to this day) from a Salvation Army Charity Shop my Atari 2600 Woody 6 Switch which came in its limited edition Australian Atari Club plastic moulded suitcase, with 4 controllers (2 sticks 2 paddles) and enough games (Joust, Pitfall, Wizard of Wor, Centipede etc) to fill all the game slots set on the inside of the suitcase. The whole set for 12$ =D

my number 2 however was in 2010 at a Garage Sale (yard sale) when I found a near mint condition un-boxed NES with brand new looking Zapper, 2 controllers and 10 games (Mario 1/Duck Hunt, Maniac Mansion, Mario 3, Rainbow Islands etc) all in their little cool black Nintendo sleeves all with Manuals. The whole lot for 15$.
I pointed to the grey box and said to the fella "How much for this?". He replies with "15 dollars mate"
my brain already hits overdrive, I contain my possible huge grin and girly giggle and calmly say "and how much with the games and controllers & stuff?"
he says "oh I meant 15 dollars for the whole lot"
jaw hits floor, payment was immediately made, drove off with a massive smile looking like a proper censored to all other motorists that were around me :D

Edit: if any of you want have a look I just posted a pic of these on my Instagram page @Mykel_See For those of you without Instagram (and because Google owns them) just go to Google Images and type in Mykel_See
From Game&Watch to PS2 and Arcade in between, its been so much fun every single step of the way.

VideoGame Addict since 1989

senatortombstone

Post by senatortombstone » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:47 pm

I found a CIB Zelda Collector's edition at a garage sale for $2.00, but I was able to talk the owner down to $1.50. I found an unopened GBA card reader for $7.00. I found a loose Zelda II Adventure of Link for $0.50. I found a complete N64 with Mario 64, Golden Eye, Diddy Kong's Racing, and a mix of three brand and off-brand controllers for $3.00. During the summer, I check out garage sales every chance I get. Most of the time they are a waste of time, but boy is it ever exciting when I find a bargain!