Does anyone here MAKE games?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

MikeHive

Post by MikeHive » Fri May 25, 2007 10:55 am

GarryG wrote:
MikeHive wrote: For two, I'm more into doing retro-style 2D games than 3D stuff, which seems to be DarkBasic's speciality.
What have you been reading!?
I've been reading http://darkbasic.thegamecreators.com/ , which is the first thing that comes up on Google. It states "DarkBASIC - The Ultimate 3D Games Creator".
Plus the fact that you have to buy it makes it seem more like someone's commerical games-making kit than a programming language. "Packed with features, the possibilities are endless. Suitable for ages 8 and up"?? Come on it sounds like a board game!!

Maybe I did get the wrong end of the stick... but that website is uber-misleading.
~Mike
www.bthive.co.uk :: Banjo Trilogy Hive

Celebaglar

Post by Celebaglar » Fri May 25, 2007 11:15 am

Pfah! All these new-fangled game creation kits and compilers.... just use PHP! :lol:

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Fri May 25, 2007 11:21 am

Seems to be a sales pitch, that is a tad misleading...:?

It may not be for you, but I would suggest looking round some of the boards where people who use this hang out. They should be easy enough to Google for, and ask some questions!

Er, you have to buy most propper programming languages (cept Perl ;) ), at least you're supposed to :roll:

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Fri May 25, 2007 11:31 am

GarryG wrote: Er, you have to buy most propper programming languages (cept Perl ;) ), at least you're supposed to :roll:
Not really.

C, C++, Java are all free as languages. Big companies such as Microsoft just happen to make proprietary graphical environments and debuggers - such as with visual studio, that cost quite a bit. The actual compilers and linkers are usually free (even the Microsoft one!).

As with most things, there are always free and legal alternatives.

Celebaglar

Post by Celebaglar » Fri May 25, 2007 11:59 am

In most cases the languages are free, and in the case of the mainstream ones there are free compilers for every platform. Perl, Python, C++, C#, Java even .NET.

Some companies will sell you their own proprietary development environment, and sometimes this includes modified/proprietary compilers and libraries, but you don't have to use commercial packages to develop games. Far from it.

Mr. Pointless

Post by Mr. Pointless » Fri May 25, 2007 12:00 pm

MikeHive wrote:
GarryG wrote:
MikeHive wrote: For two, I'm more into doing retro-style 2D games than 3D stuff, which seems to be DarkBasic's speciality.
What have you been reading!?
I've been reading http://darkbasic.thegamecreators.com/ , which is the first thing that comes up on Google. It states "DarkBASIC - The Ultimate 3D Games Creator".
Plus the fact that you have to buy it makes it seem more like someone's commerical games-making kit than a programming language. "Packed with features, the possibilities are endless. Suitable for ages 8 and up"?? Come on it sounds like a board game!!

Maybe I did get the wrong end of the stick... but that website is uber-misleading.
x.X Even I knew it was a bloody language/compiler when I first saw it on PC World's shelves. :roll:
(Although that could be because I knew WHAT BASIC was beforehand)

And there are some 2D demo programs that come with it.
Amiga: "Insert Disk 7"
User: "When I work out how to magically pull that out of my **** I will, because it's not in the box."

Xbox 360: Mr Pointless | PSN: Mr_Pointless | Steam: Mr Pointless

DrBlue

Post by DrBlue » Sat May 26, 2007 6:06 pm

I have a whole host of unfinished games over a number of formats. The worse problem I have found is that by the time you get about 75% of the way through creating something you've played that many times that you start to think "this is crap, who'd want to play this garbage?!"

I have started to use 'Game Maker' which is unbelievebly flexible and ideal for creating 2d games it takes all of the hassle out of making 2d games (it isn't without it's flaws though).

For 3d games i would recommend downloading 'Blender' from blender.org. Whilst it can be daunting at first it has a built-in game engine (although making games is only one of it's uses). Visit Blender.org.

focusgaming

Post by focusgaming » Sun May 27, 2007 5:46 am

I wrote a few games at college in the 90's, just normal Space Invaders, Tron type games... wish I had of kept them as my mate did some good graphics. In space invaders we had all manner of things come down the screen like bi-planes and stop signs lol

I would like to programme again, but struggle for the time :(
Lee
Focus Gaming (UK)
http://www.focusgaming.co.uk

nzo

Post by nzo » Wed May 30, 2007 8:33 pm

Look here for an authentic robotron remake:

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5403

smila

Post by smila » Thu May 31, 2007 8:27 am

already posted this elsewhere but i may as well plonk it here too -

decided to grab a quick snippet of the remakes/retro stuff ive worked on and bunged em all into a vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2W7sEYaAvQ
god created the sid chip so hubbard could make music

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Thu May 31, 2007 8:30 am

Anyway... Tell us when you choose something then MikeHive ;)