Mixtapes

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Analog

Re: Mixtapes

Post by Analog » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:09 am

was rather proud of my helmet mixtape which featured all my favourite songs they did. also did the thing where i'd tape off the radio when I was younger and sometimes made mixes with turntables, a mixer and vinyl and recorded to tape. good times! :D

dwitefry

Post by dwitefry » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:23 pm

I think i still have some of my Punk and New Wave mix tapes *noses around CD racks* I do! I Shall remake them as playlists and listen to loads of Wreckless Eric and The Damned.

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:51 am

Mix tapes :D .

It was a frequent hobby of mine, first it was nearly always tape to tape jobs and then later on it was CD to tape jobs (mix tape for the car :wink: ), I reckon I did it up until the very late 90's. Towards the end I had a brilliant triple CD hifi made by Aiwa. You could pre program it and it would work out all the awkward stuff for you, even to the point of pausing the tape decks while it swapped cd's etc. My god was it loud too! I bloody loved that hifi.

Nowadays it's obviously the iPod that has centre stage, although I'm guilty of never making a playlist. Which is odd given how simple that is by comparison!

Eat your nans pants

tachi

Post by tachi » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:36 pm

Did it all the time yeah.
Even now I make mix CDs for the car and have a few I rotate, namely my favourite 40 or so tracks on one or my fave anime/vg tracks on another.
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:11 am

crusto wrote:
Nowadays it's obviously the iPod that has centre stage, although I'm guilty of never making a playlist. Which is odd given how simple that is by comparison!
maybe its less fun and less involved ?
creating a tape was a long involved process and you had to get it right but there was a real satisfaction in finishing one
creating a play list is boring and easy
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

vice350z

Post by vice350z » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:54 am

lol, excellent topic. I remember making bunch of dance music mix tapes for myself and friends. For whoever I was dating at the moment I would make a love mix tape. I still have the one I gave my first girlfriend. I remember she through it in a box of crap she gave me back when we broke up back in 1995 or so.

I remember the one day seeing an ad for a Phillips CD Recorder for your rack system. I was like "holy crap, i can make mix CDs!!!!"...bought one for I think $500 back in the mid 90's. Sucked cuz it recorded in real time. Then once i learned of MP3's and CD burners for PCs were becoming popular it was way easier to make a mixCD.

Good memories from the 90's.

vice350z

Post by vice350z » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:55 am

crusto wrote:Mix tapes :D .

It was a frequent hobby of mine, first it was nearly always tape to tape jobs and then later on it was CD to tape jobs (mix tape for the car :wink: ), I reckon I did it up until the very late 90's. Towards the end I had a brilliant triple CD hifi made by Aiwa. You could pre program it and it would work out all the awkward stuff for you, even to the point of pausing the tape decks while it swapped cd's etc. My god was it loud too! I bloody loved that hifi.

Did the CD player on your Aiwa break too?

EDIT: Crap, i just asked a question to a guy who posted that almost 2 years ago now.