Let's talk about movie tie ins.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

gman72

Re: Let's talk movie tie ins.

Post by gman72 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:52 pm

Some great games mentioned already, especially Minority Report - I forgot about that one.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:54 pm

Megamixer wrote: I have noticed that there are far less tie-in games on the last gen and current gen compared to the PS2-era. I'm assuming that they all come out on mobiles these days?
This is an interesting point also... is this true? Have tie-ins diminished in popularity of late?
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:26 am

Some games mentioned I had forgot about.

Did not mind the Bourne game that came out on the 360 and PS3. Quite a good daft fighter.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:25 am

gman72 wrote:
Megamixer wrote: I have noticed that there are far less tie-in games on the last gen and current gen compared to the PS2-era. I'm assuming that they all come out on mobiles these days?
This is an interesting point also... is this true? Have tie-ins diminished in popularity of late?
Yeah I've read an article on this somewhere. It's to do with the disparity between development time between making games and movies these days.

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:01 pm

While already mentioned, I think Terminator 2 is horrific, nigh on unplayable mess

Analog

Post by Analog » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:13 pm

what are peoples opinions on total recall by ocean software?

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:13 pm

silvergunner wrote:Some games mentioned I had forgot about.

Did not mind the Bourne game that came out on the 360 and PS3. Quite a good daft fighter.

I just completed that and thought it was very average. It really should have been a stealth game but instead it's clunky shooting and one on one fights that just involve hammering XXY as fast as you can over and over again.

Oh, and Terminator 2 is probably the second worst SNES game I've ever played (beihnd Carrier Aces). Truly, truly awful in every way

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:19 pm

Well, I really liked Platoon on the C64, and I could play the Batmobile level on Amiga Batman: The Movie without ever getting bored.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:21 pm

Robocop on the old 8-bits was pretty good (and we can't forget that the title theme from the Game Boy port was so good that it got used on the "Ariston" advert...) - and of course no discussion about movie tie-ins would be complete without a nod at Goldeneye on the N64. Still perfect even to this day.
Where logic won't work, I will

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:27 pm

JamesC wrote:
gman72 wrote:
Yeah I've read an article on this somewhere. It's to do with the disparity between development time between making games and movies these days.
Was it the article from a couple of years back on Gamasutra? The other thing mentioned in it was the extortionate cost of the legal teams needed to sort out the terms of the license and the length of time that took.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

coevin

Post by coevin » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:39 pm

untouchables on the c64 was a very good game

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:27 pm

The Beans wrote:Was it the article from a couple of years back on Gamasutra? The other thing mentioned in it was the extortionate cost of the legal teams needed to sort out the terms of the license and the length of time that took.

I bet getting the actor's likenesses can't be cheap either

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:59 am

Negative Creep wrote:Jurassic Park on the SNES was a great game with an awesome soundtrack, although the lack of any save points or passwords was bizzare.
Man, I completed it - one of my finest gaming achievements! I have very fond memories of the summer I hammered it - 1994 maybe?

Other notables I can think of:

Blade Runner (PC)
Rambo (Speccy)
Batman the movie (Speccy and Amiga)
Temple of Doom (Speccy)
Die Hard Trilogy (PS)

I also have a soft spot for MasterS of the Universe :)
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:03 am

Analog wrote:what are peoples opinions on total recall by ocean software?
Wasn't the original scrapped and then a new one quickly made? I didn't like it tbh - but I think someone who worked on the game uses the forum so don't want to criticise it! It's been talked about before here (obviously).

In fact, was it you?!?

Good shout for Robocop. The speccy version was brilliant. It was a Your Sinclair or Sinclair User that came with the factory level on a covertape, I was hooked from then on.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:13 am

greenberet79 wrote:
Negative Creep wrote:Jurassic Park on the SNES was a great game with an awesome soundtrack, although the lack of any save points or passwords was bizzare.
Man, I completed it - one of my finest gaming achievements! I have very fond memories of the summer I hammered it - 1994 maybe?
How did you work out you could jump over that one canal unlike all the others? I got right to the end bit when you just have to get to the helipad and I had to use a walkthrough to work that one out!