Who Vapes?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

crusto

Re: Who Vapes?

Post by crusto » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:10 pm

Gman wrote: I was fortunate enough to be able to give up smoking without any external help and have been smoke free for nearly 4 years. I can no longer stand the smell of cigerette smoke. Personally I would welcome a ban for smoking in public places. Everytime I go into town I am always walking behind someone puffing away and the smoke goes in my face and makes me gag. I'm happy to be a hypocritical ex-smoker.
One thing about these Ecigs puzzles me though. I understand that they contain nicotine, which I believe is the addictive part of a standard cigerette. So there's no way an Ecig can actually aid you in giving up smoking because you are still inhaling the addictive substance. I would bet that many Vapers go back to real ciggies when the novelty has worn off. Have I got this wrong?
I agree with you there. I do it because I'm still addicted to nicotine, and another thing I missed in the past is the actual hand to mouth habit too. So patches etc wouldnt do me any good. It's now up to me to ween myself down, but I'm happy at the moment as im spending a fraction of what I used to. I will also take an educated guess and say that vaping is going to be far less harmful to me too.

The brand I smoke has a button to provide a "big hit" or a "small hit", but the actual amount of nicotine in the liquid is constant. I think other brands are more flexible and offer nicotine free liquids too, something which I will be looking to move on to eventually.

I've managed 2 years of cold turkey before, and other long stints too. But I've always started again for some reason, so this works for me - so far...
Last edited by crusto on Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Eat your nans pants

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:13 pm

In exactly the same way as patches and gum.

It may help some people quit. It may break the habit of getting up and going out to the smoking area. They'll form new habits that 'real' smoking can't be included in.

Nicotine substitutes weren't my favoured method of quitting, but replacing it with food hasn't really worked out well for me in the long term. I'm still carrying over 2 stone that doesn't want to readily shift without drastically changing my diet.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:52 pm

Isn't the idea that you gradually use a weaker nicotine dose?
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:55 pm

crusto wrote:Being a 20 per day smoker, I've struggled to quit for years now. And have even managed 2 years smoke free once, but try as a I might I always end up back on 20 per day.

But now I am a vaper, and it's great! I'm around 6 months in and reckon I have it sussed now, I can't ever see myself smoking again. I've gone from spending £9 per day on B+H to just £8 per week on e-liquid. Yes, I'm still having nicotine but from the research I've done it's arguably no more harmful than caffeine in the quantities I have it. Plus I'm inhaling no other harmful substances, unlike the ciggys which are pretty nasty in truth.

If anybody is considering vaping I recommend it. It takes a bit of getting used to and is a little harsh on the throat at first. But it's worth it in the long run. For what it's worth I use the vype e pen and my flavour of choice is dark cherry!

crusto - can you please enlighten me Sir!

Im fed up of spending £5 a day of Marlboro, as I like to save money whereever I can, so would appreciate some infor. Where is the best place to buy from? What kind of smell do they leave?

Your guidance and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:13 pm

DoraemonTheCat wrote:
crusto wrote:Being a 20 per day smoker, I've struggled to quit for years now. And have even managed 2 years smoke free once, but try as a I might I always end up back on 20 per day.

But now I am a vaper, and it's great! I'm around 6 months in and reckon I have it sussed now, I can't ever see myself smoking again. I've gone from spending £9 per day on B+H to just £8 per week on e-liquid. Yes, I'm still having nicotine but from the research I've done it's arguably no more harmful than caffeine in the quantities I have it. Plus I'm inhaling no other harmful substances, unlike the ciggys which are pretty nasty in truth.

If anybody is considering vaping I recommend it. It takes a bit of getting used to and is a little harsh on the throat at first. But it's worth it in the long run. For what it's worth I use the vype e pen and my flavour of choice is dark cherry!

crusto - can you please enlighten me Sir!

Im fed up of spending £5 a day of Marlboro, as I like to save money whereever I can, so would appreciate some infor. Where is the best place to buy from? What kind of smell do they leave?

Your guidance and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
You can buy Vypes either online or from Lloyds chemists. The E-pen was half price when I bought it (£12) and came with 2 liquid refills. A pack of 3 liquid refills should cost you £7.99, but they have been on offer recently for £5.50. I reckon 1 refill should last you around 2 days if you currently smoke 10 cigs per day. So vaping should cost you around £10 per week as opposed to £5 per day, plus it's much healthier. As for the smell - it hardly leaves one I think. My wife says it leaves a pleasant air freshener type smell that goes away quickly.

What I will say is that they are a little harsh on the throat to start with, but it's something you do get used to. Stick at it!

https://uk.govype.com/epen-starter-kit

Hope that helps.

Eat your nans pants

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:52 pm

I picked up a Vype epen the other day funnily enough. it's fine for a starter thing but it is still expensive for what it is, a cartridge only lasts me a day and that will end up costing almost equal to what i spent a week on ciggarettes which is no good. Looking at a Kik ecig instead, match that with a £20 bottle of e liquid and that is me sorted for a month. far cheaper.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:58 am

@crusto

I'm a little confused then.............In one of your posts, you said
I've gone from spending £9 per day on B+H to just £8 per week on e-liquid.
And that doesn't seem to equal the same cost you said it would cost me, when I currently smoke 10 a day at £4.85, yet you saying Vaping would cost me £10 a week too. I assumed that if you went from 20 a day to spending £8 a week, I would be paying even less?!

It's still cheap I guess, but your quote made me think there would be MASSIVE saving potential :D

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:37 pm

One cartridge lasts me 2 days maximum and 3 cartridges will cost £7.99 if they are not on offer. So yeah, slightly over £8 per week when you look at it like that. But I was spending £9 odd per day on B and H so it's a huge saving for me, £63 per week as opposed to around £10 per week.

That's huge, and way more healthy.

Edit: yeah, it would be less for you. You need to understand that I was on a combination of lager and tramadol yesterday, so may not have been thinking completely straight :lol:

Eat your nans pants

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:52 am

I used disposable e-cigs as a way to help me quit.
I resisted buying the refillable vape equipment, primarily because I was determined to quit and didn't want to be left with the paraphernalia. I do remember that whilst using the e-cigs, I began to feel a lot better, and the e-cig satisfied the habit craving.
However, I hadn't given up, just substituted one addiction, for another. I used the time to break the habit, using distraction techniques when I felt the urge to smoke, and reducing the opportunities that triggered a craving, such as when I was having a break. The hardest part is learning to be bored. Being able to sit and do absolutely nothing. If you can learn to do that, then you are half way there.
I now don't smoke anything, and I think that vaping is considerably better for you than smoking, and TBH I doubt that it has any affect on anyone other than the person using it. If every smoker in the country switched to vaping, I think it would be a great thing. Even if vaping turns out to be harmful in some way, it can't possibly be as toxic as what it is replacing.
If, however, you want to quit smoking, they can help, but the real addiction is the "habit" itself. I used to think it was the nicotine that was the problem, and it is addictive, but the hardest part for any smoker is finding "something to do with their hands".
That's psychological, not chemical.

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:54 am

Its funny you say that @rojaws

I am dating quite alot at the moment, so when I have a date, I can go without all day and during the date

Yet, the moment they have gone, I light up!

I REALLY need to quit before the end of May too, as going on holiday with a girl who doesn't think I smoke. So, gonna have my work cut out for me.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:35 pm

forget the Vype, just picked up the vivid e cig from Asda for £10 which included the vapour cigarette, 10ml of liquid and a 650ml battery and clearomiser. it is the friggin bomb. first puff was so much more potent than any electronic smoke i have had so far and the liquids cost £3 a bottle from Asda, and in theory you can use any on the market, i have some bull brand liquids to try also which will be interesting. in one day i have used 1.6 ml of liquid out a 10ml bottle. Immediately that is a much bigger saving the Vype could ever offer.
I write for...

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:17 pm

forget that recommendation. the battery died in less than 24 hours. now screwing for nicotine without the means to get it. fan censored tastic.
I write for...

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:21 pm

Vype never lets you down :wink:

Nah seriously, that's a pisser and I feel your pain. Stay strong until you can resupply.

Eat your nans pants

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:24 pm

Respectfully guys, I think it's a false economy to buy the cheap end vape sticks. My Hana Mods DNA 30 battery and Aspire Nautilus tank have been consistent and trouble free for a year now. Massive vape and no loss of flavour. The battery time lasts about 36 hours and is very reliable.

I paid £60 for the battery and £30 for the tank but the prices have plummeted recently. The difference in quality is stunning. I run 1.6ohms coils at 10.5 watts (4.8 volts) and I get more satisfaction from this than I ever did with organic cigarettes.
Thoughts and prayers.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:03 pm

went and got a new battery today and when i got home i found the other one working again. had a look online and it was down to a leaky clearomiser that needed a wipe and that it was smartly protecting itself. after going cold turkey for the day the hit was like a tonne of bricks but oh so satisfying. i tried some bull brand flavouring, the berry burst one and i am pleasantly surprised considering it is only £2.50 a bottle. it leaves behind a pleasant scent and the vapor is plentiful. i can see me using this at home while i take the stronger nicotine vapour to work with me.
I write for...