A good Dreamcast RGB cable?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

samhain81

A good Dreamcast RGB cable?

Post by samhain81 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:50 pm

I have the official VGA adapter but the blasted Skies of Arcadia doesn't support it, so need the next best thing.

Could anyone with a DC or good knowledge on RGBs recommend me a quality one, or are they all pretty versatile in their output?

Kind Regards
:)

adippm82

Re: A good Dreamcast RGB cable?

Post by adippm82 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:27 pm

I've had this one for years, connect my Gamecube up with it too with the handy connector half way along the lead, puts out a great picture on both, has a really solid connector to the console, which can be problem with other leads, leading to a blue picture or no sound.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/RGB-Scart-Cable ... B0001DDBMU

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:58 pm

Alternatively, there may be a hacked version of the game that supports VGA. A few of those games were done.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:30 pm

adippm82 wrote:I've had this one for years, connect my Gamecube up with it too with the handy connector half way along the lead, puts out a great picture on both, has a really solid connector to the console, which can be problem with other leads, leading to a blue picture or no sound.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/RGB-Scart-Cable ... B0001DDBMU
Thanks buddy, I'll give this one a look.
Antiriad2097 wrote:Alternatively, there may be a hacked version of the game that supports VGA. A few of those games were done.
Yeah, I'm aware, thanks. I downloaded the hacked version but it froze a few times upon playing. Couldn't be bothered to troubleshoot considering the retail copy was sitting right by me. Thought to just get the next best component for display

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:11 am

if you have a dcx disc you can boot non native vga games in vga, but your vga box needs a rgb/vga switch (done this with gigawing back in the day)

google it theres threads around

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:27 am

HEAVYface wrote:if you have a dcx disc you can boot non native vga games in vga, but your vga box needs a rgb/vga switch (done this with gigawing back in the day)

google it theres threads around
Unfortunately, the PAL Skies of Arcadia won't work in VGA with any work around. One of the few that won't. It's the US version if you want an English language version through VGA.
(also, you don't need rgb/vga switch if you're using the dcx boot. DCX just makes the screen go blank, wait for the disc to stop spinning then put the game disc in, and walla!)