At which issue did you \"join\" Retro Gamer?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:37 am

Technically issue 1. I picked it up in the shop, had a read, put it down as I was low on money to buy it at the time. Thought of course it was gonna be easy to find. How wrong I was. Ended up buying a copy from eBay for the (at the time bargain price) of £10. Bought issue 2 from the shop and then subscribed from issue 3 onwards.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:09 pm

Issue 2 for me. Never saw ish 1 in the shops so paid £28 on ebay for it! Then subbed from ish 3.

andjs

Post by andjs » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:59 pm

I got it from issue 1, i wandered into MVC in Eastbourne and it immediately caught my eye, i thought at the time that £5.99 was a bit much but decided to splash out and have got every issue since.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:09 am

Dudley wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Issue 19...
Just making the obvious joke or did you really never read it before that point?
I'd look through it to see what the competition was up to, but to be honest I just didn't really like the hardware obesessed direction it used to take. Far too boring for my tastes...

Still, plenty of people did like it, and if it wasn't for the magazine's early success I wouldn't be doing what I do now :lol:

Mr. Pointless

Re:

Post by Mr. Pointless » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:45 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:to be honest I just didn't really like the hardware obesessed direction it used to take. Far too boring for my tastes...
I thought something was missing since its return... :(
Amiga: "Insert Disk 7"
User: "When I work out how to magically pull that out of my **** I will, because it's not in the box."

Xbox 360: Mr Pointless | PSN: Mr_Pointless | Steam: Mr Pointless

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:55 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:to be honest I just didn't really like the hardware obesessed direction it used to take. Far too boring for my tastes...
I thought something was better since its return... :D

:wink:

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:03 pm

Mr. Pointless wrote:
I thought something was missing since its return... :(
Sorry mate, but it was inevitable that the format was going to change once it was under new management. Some will love the new changes, some will not.

Ever since issue 19 we've constantly listened to feedback though, so if there's anything you're not happy about then make your voice heard :)

C4

Post by C4 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:35 pm

Issue 23

cheeky_muffin

Post by cheeky_muffin » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:22 pm

Issue 2 from the likes of WHSmith although technically Issue 1, I nearly bought it in WHSmith but it was the last one and it looked manky looking with fading around the edges so I left it, little did I know that was the idea to make it look old looking! I bought it on Ebay for just £2 and another £2 for p+p which was a bargain as the price was about to go through the roof on Ebay.

Slackdog

Post by Slackdog » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:23 pm

Issue 2 - damn newsagent had issue one but lent it to someone and never got it back :| I do have the coverdisc though :wink:
What was more amazing to me was the challenge of making it work on the less capable Commodore 64. It was a real nightmare implementation, but I did it. - Archer Maclean

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:57 pm

your newsagent lends magazines?
Very generous!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Bobbus74

Post by Bobbus74 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:49 am

Issue 3 was the first I saw of the magazine. Stumbled across it in WHSmith. Haven't bought any of the 'volume 2' mags though. I found the content was sort of repeating itself (I suppose a bit of repetition is inevitable considering the subject matter though).
Bobbus74

witchfinder

Re:

Post by witchfinder » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:39 am

preownedgames.co.uk wrote:issue 22 :oops:

I don't really go into a newsagent and somehow didn't see it until issue 22 turned up in Tesco.
Likewise, except it was issue 21 I saw in Tesco... :D

To all you people that have spent a fortune on issue 1 on Ebay, was it really worth it? I bought six back issues off Ebay for around a tenner and they are nowhere near as good as the revamped version in my opinion....

andy_taff

Post by andy_taff » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:22 pm

Mine was issue 1 looked everywhere for the second issue only to find out it was bi-monthly, i'm sure it was a few months before issue 2 came out. Been a reader ever since

Still waiting for a big article on the SAM Coupe :lol:

Quazar

Post by Quazar » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:42 pm

I started off with issue 1, having known it was the horizon after speaking to Martyn Carroll at the MicroMart show in November '03. Was good to see a mention in the first issue too along with a photo of my Sam setup in the show roundup!
Quazar : Hardware, Software, SAM Revival magazine and much more for the SAM Coupé
1995-2014 - Celebrating 20 Years of developing for the SAM Coupé
Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/QuazarSamCoupe