American Adaptations

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:39 am

Looks OK for yanky pap, although it was our idea so that helps a lot...
As for Colm Meany, gotta love that guy. He is fantasic in Layer Cake and Con Air so not a bad choice to play an arse like Hunt...

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:16 am

CraigGrannell wrote:I really enjoyed Life on Mars, but gave up on Ashes after about four episodes. Part of the appeal of LoM was the not knowing what was going on, rather than the slightly tiresome characterisation. Sadly, the latter was the core for Ashes, and Keeley Hawes was just so irritating.

As for the US version, last I heard is that it'd been axed, which is probably just as well.
Seriously, give ashes another chance! I didnt like it at first, but then it got so damn good! Keeley Hawes is irritating yes, but she gets better!

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:38 pm

Muteki wrote:
necronom wrote:I hate it when they do this to our shows. How would they like it if everyone else went round re-making their programs?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U. ... ish_market
Almost all of those are reality shows or game shows. There aren't many proper programmes like dramas or comedy shows.

They seem to do it a lot with our dramas and comedy.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:22 am

As far as I can tell though the Americans have only ever made a success of remaking two of our comedies.

Seinfeld and Son
The Office

All of the others have ended up as 1 season bombs.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Marmito

Post by Marmito » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:21 am

They should remake Triangle in an american form or maybe Flog it
Insert Points Podcast. 'Cause otherwise it's like staring at a wall. With no music' To find more go to http://insertpoints.blogspot.com/

driver695

Post by driver695 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:03 am

I gotta confess that I never wached 'Life on Mars' back in the UK :(
But it's due to air over here in NZ this Monday :)

One question - it keeps saying on the trailer that it's "All New 'Life on Mars'"....I take it there WAS only the one series?

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:27 pm

two.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:55 pm

Fair enough that Americans cannot emulate our sense of humour too well, but there's no denying the fact that American TV is light years ahead of anything from our shores. I used to think Yanky TV was all bollocks but then I sat down and watched certain TV shows like Six Feet Under, The Sopranos and Heroes and it totally changed my mind hahaha.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:00 pm

This is certainly true, I think other than news and sport my UK watching consists of "Doctor Who".

America I watch at least 10 program regularly.

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:13 pm

Dudley wrote:This is certainly true, I think other than news and sport my UK watching consists of "Doctor Who".

Damn, I hate to admit it, but your right! Im watching House on DVD right now........oh well! When we Brits do make a good show though, they aint half bloody brilliant!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:57 pm

bonerlaw wrote:
CraigGrannell wrote:I really enjoyed Life on Mars, but gave up on Ashes after about four episodes. Part of the appeal of LoM was the not knowing what was going on, rather than the slightly tiresome characterisation. Sadly, the latter was the core for Ashes, and Keeley Hawes was just so irritating.

As for the US version, last I heard is that it'd been axed, which is probably just as well.
Seriously, give ashes another chance! I didnt like it at first, but then it got so damn good! Keeley Hawes is irritating yes, but she gets better!
I agree. I have watched it twice now and I would definately recommend people give it another go.

Duds - What is Seinfeld and Son?

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:04 pm

bonerlaw wrote:
Dudley wrote:This is certainly true, I think other than news and sport my UK watching consists of "Doctor Who".

Damn, I hate to admit it, but your right! Im watching House on DVD right now........oh well! When we Brits do make a good show though, they aint half bloody brilliant!
]#

yep like Red Dwarf. :)

I hear Dexter is another top US TV show, heard lots of great things about it but not seen it yet. Looking forward to it though.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:26 pm

Dexter is brilliant.

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:37 pm

C=Style wrote:
bonerlaw wrote:When we Brits do make a good show though, they aint half bloody brilliant!
yep like Red Dwarf. :)
Agreed. That's one of my favourite shows.

America tried to remake that as well.

Twice!

It was crap.

Twice.

I do watch quite a lot of American shows, both at the moment and in the past (24, Lost, Heroes, The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Buffy, Angel, Babylon 5, Star Trek etc), but I wich they would leave our comedies alone.

The only UK drama series I watch at the moment is Doctor Who (which was good tonight, and looks like the last two will be brilliant).

Some of my favourite shows are British comedies. I can't think of any American comedy I've ever watched apart from The Big Bang Theory.

driver695

Post by driver695 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:29 pm

driver695 wrote:I gotta confess that I never wached 'Life on Mars' back in the UK :(
But it's due to air over here in NZ this Monday :)

One question - it keeps saying on the trailer that it's "All New 'Life on Mars'"....I take it there WAS only the one series?
Dudley wrote:two.
Damn! I bet it's the 2nd one they'll be showing here :x Grrrrrr