Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat May 31, 2008 6:36 am

Guybrush wrote:
SirClive wrote:but as soon as you mention pacing and editing, you are taking it too seriously.
I don't mean any offense Sir Clive, but do you actually understand what pacing and editing are?

Pacing is the speed at which the story is told to us and how quickly the film's narrative flows i.e. whether it's fast paced and exciting or slow and boring. Editing is the method that the filmmaker uses in order to determine this pace (as well as fulfilling a few other functions).

How is it taking a film too seriously to mention how slow it is or fast paced it is? You have already said you found it exciting, which is in itself an indirect comment on the pace of the film. In my opinion, it doesn't matter whether a film is by Spielberg, Fellini or Uwe Boll, the pace of any film is vitally important. :)
I think that Sir Clive is saying that we shouldn't get too techincal with what is after all meant to be a fun film ; that we should simply enjoy it for what it , is rather than what it could have been

(I may be wrong of course!)
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat May 31, 2008 7:29 am

Thats exactly what I mean. If you break down the Indy films (all of them) then they are just a bit dumb really and not that exciting. But if you turn your brain down a bit and watch it for the popcorn fun that it is then you will probably enjoy it.

I just think that some films should be dissected and others should just be watched.

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Sat May 31, 2008 8:11 am

If he can't forward an opinion on the pacing, then you stop him from having that opinion. If pacing and editing can't be discussed, then your opinion that it's a film just to be watched is just as unjustified as the pacing issue.

Anyway, it was censored. :D
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat May 31, 2008 8:27 am

No, I am not asking or stopping his opinion on pacing, just suggesting that the film is best enjoyed by disengaging your directorial chip.

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Sat May 31, 2008 8:28 am

Or your frontal lobe :wink:
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat May 31, 2008 9:06 am

Indiana Jones is serious business.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat May 31, 2008 1:01 pm

OK, I finally saw it earlier....and really enjoyed it, asides from the stupid 'tarzan' bit. I loved the in jokes and nods to the earlier films, such as the glimpse of the Ark, etc.

But then again, I thought that The Phantom Menace was pretty good too.

And Temple Of Doom is easily my favourite Indy film, I thought Last Crusade was the weakest actually for a number of reasons (Sean Connery was far more irritating as a 'comedy sidekick' than even Jar Jar Binks IMHO).

I know my sanity will be questioned for this post, but hey, one man's meat is another man's poison.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat May 31, 2008 1:03 pm

Well at least I am not on my own about Phantom Menace either :D

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush » Sat May 31, 2008 1:20 pm

Yeah I think we'll have to just agree to disagree, personally I think every film can and should be dissected, whereas you think the opposite.

On the Star Wars note I thought Phantom Menace was really boring. But Ijust Saw Revenge of the Sith for the first time this week and I actually thought it was as good as the original trilogy.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat May 31, 2008 1:46 pm

Lol, I don't think we are that different. I just think some films are rubbish if you let them be rubbish.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat May 31, 2008 3:56 pm

Different people like/dislike different films, is all.

Many people liked Alien vs Predator and The Matrix Reloaded....personally I think they're far and away the 2 worst films I've seen during the last decade, and I'm a pretty regular cinemagoer.

As I say, I liked The Phantom Menace. I found The Clone Wars to be the weakest of the 'new' Star Wars movies, mainly because I found it a bit slow and thought the whole Annikan/Padme story was a bit heavy handed but I still really liked it. Same with Indy and the Last Crusade....I still really like it but just enjoyed the other Indy movies (including Crystal Skull) more.

BTW I thought that both Indy and his dad were meant to either be immortal or at least extremely rejuvinated by drinking from the Holy Grail...I was a bit surprised that Henry Jones Sr. had croaked by the time Crystal Skull took place :?
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat May 31, 2008 4:02 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:Different people like/dislike different films, is all.

Many people liked Alien vs Predator and The Matrix Reloaded....personally I think they're far and away the 2 worst films I've seen during the last decade, and I'm a pretty regular cinemagoer.

As I say, I liked The Phantom Menace. I found The Clone Wars to be the weakest of the 'new' Star Wars movies, mainly because I found it a bit slow and thought the whole Annikan/Padme story was a bit heavy handed but I still really liked it. Same with Indy and the Last Crusade....I still really like it but just enjoyed the other Indy movies (including Crystal Skull) more.

BTW I thought that both Indy and his dad were meant to either be immortal or at least extremely rejuvinated by drinking from the Holy Grail...I was a bit surprised that Henry Jones Sr. had croaked by the time Crystal Skull took place :?
Wow! I'm virtually the opposite to you - I think Clone Wars was the best of the 3 new SW films - seeing the birth of the Empire was really interesting , whilst Phantom Menace really did nothing for me (other than the FAB pod race). And I thought that A v P was a brilliant , action packed thriller of a movie , right up there with all the other Alien/Predator movies

I guess we're all different , and that's exactly the way it should be

I think with the Grail , you had to continue to drink from it?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat May 31, 2008 4:06 pm

Yes, he couldn't take the cup away, so whilst it healed his gunshot wound, as soon as he left he was not protected by it.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat May 31, 2008 4:14 pm

There werre plenty of references in the new Indy film , and not just to other Indy movies

How about Han's , sorry I mean Indy's "I've got a bad feeling about this" in the chamber at the end?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:20 am

I've yet to see the new film. However, with the first three films, it is very difficult to decide which is the best one as all three are just as good as each other. But if I was forced to choose just one, I would say Raiders Of The Lost Ark because this film took itself a little bit more seriously whilst the next two films was proper black comedy enjoyable entertainment. All three films to this day right now have stood the test of their time very well and are still just as enjoyable to watch now as they were back then.

One thing I have noticed about the music in the Marion scenes in Raiders Of The Lost Ark is that the music sounds a bit similar to the romance scenes in Empire Strikes Back. I don't know if anyone else has noticed this?

:)
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth