Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

JackPainter

Post by JackPainter » Tue May 27, 2008 5:52 am

I'm an Indy fan, however I wasn't going to bother seeing this one. Mainly because there are other films in the cinema that I want to see even more.

Although after reading all this feedback, I'm really curious.
XBOX LIVE: JackFrustration
PSN Account: JackSawyer

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue May 27, 2008 6:07 am

JackPainter wrote:I'm an Indy fan, however I wasn't going to bother seeing this one. Mainly because there are other films in the cinema that I want to see even more.

Although after reading all this feedback, I'm really bi-curious.
Surprised you dont want to see this one straight away. There are some other films i wouldnt mind seeing but a new Indy film, had to give this one a go straight away, just nervous that it will be average though !

JackPainter

Post by JackPainter » Tue May 27, 2008 6:30 am

psj3809 wrote:
JackPainter wrote:I'm an Indy fan, however I wasn't going to bother seeing this one. Mainly because there are other films in the cinema that I want to see even more.

Surprised you dont want to see this one straight away. There are some other films i wouldnt mind seeing but a new Indy film, had to give this one a go straight away, just nervous that it will be average though !
Yeah, I think I'll see it this weekend. I think I'm just scared of disappointment.

Also...bi-curious!? You Scoundrel!
XBOX LIVE: JackFrustration
PSN Account: JackSawyer

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Tue May 27, 2008 6:49 am

JackPainter wrote:
psj3809 wrote:

Yeah, I think I'll see it this weekend. I think I'm just scared of disappointment.

Also...bi-curious!? You Scoundrel!

i'm bi-curiouse....in they meaning that i've always wonderd why people would want be!

ive lived my life happily so far only speaking one language and have never had the need to be bi-lingual! :lol: :P
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Tue May 27, 2008 6:53 am

as for the movie...i finaly watched it all the way through and to be honest it wasn't that special...on the other hand when i saw the other indie films i was a kid and was easily pleased...now i'm a misserable addult who demands a lot more for his money than just another generic action movie!

it rang a lot of the mummy movies if you ask me!
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue May 27, 2008 6:54 am

JackPainter wrote:Also...bi-curious!? You Scoundrel!
Ha ha sorry fella, do have a habit of doing some little edits to posts i reply to ;) Well spotted !

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue May 27, 2008 6:55 am

mohicankid wrote:as for the movie...i finaly watched it all the way through and to be honest it wasn't that special...on the other hand when i saw the other indie films i was a kid and was easily pleased...now i'm a misserable addult who demands a lot more for his money than just another generic action movie!
I find that a lot with films, as a kid i reckon i would love it, my nephews love the new star wars films where even though i dont mind them i dont think theyre that special.

Might just be a case of growing old, i rarely watch PG/12 films anymore and prefer most films to be over 18 as i find the action much better. The 'family' type film i'm just getting away from nowadays. Bad as a new Indy film would be superb but i'm nervous !

Still wish they had done more back in the day instead of 'Harrison Ford cant get any major roles anymore so finally went back to Indy' which he originally wanted to get away from.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue May 27, 2008 7:47 am

Well, I having never watched an Indy film before I decided to watch them recently, as they were on the BBC.

Found the first film ok but a little boring. Got really anoyed at the crappy start of the second film so stopped there!

So, prob wont bother with the new one, even if Ray Winstone is in it!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush » Tue May 27, 2008 8:23 am

SirClive wrote:You all need to lighten up.
Probably. :)

Beakerzoid

Post by Beakerzoid » Tue May 27, 2008 3:25 pm

Crystal Skull is let down by a terribly weak plot (where rather than solve clues, Indy just gets kidnapped and taken to the locations - or they follow a gibbering fool on the off chance that he knows where they are going), and an awful overuse of CGI (what happened to Spielberg's promise that the action would be mostly done for real - and don't give me the "Well, Ford is getting on a bit!" arguement as even Shia La Beouf's action sequences had CG tinkerings). From the opening CGI prarie-dog, to the CGI monkies, CGI scenery, CGI jungle in a long CGI fuelled chase, and the CGI fridge....and the CGI ending. As one poster already mentioned it was more like a Mummy film than Indy.

As a standalone film it was mildly average, but as an addition to an immensely rewatchable franchise it ranks alongside Phantom Menace as yet another old series which should have remained as an old series. Spielberg's normally fantastic direction seems lazy and uninspired (akin to when he made Jurassic park 2), and you really get the feeling he old went along with the script just to please Lucas (seeing as Lucas put the stoppers on a supposedly excellent Darabont script - be interesting to see if that ever gets published so we can all judge it).

Ford was decent enough as Indy, in fact he was as good in the role as he always was, but the pace and story just didn't quite cut it.

Nontheless it has done some stunning box-office this weekend (yesterday was a nightmare to work), and will no-doubt launch a new franchise (hinted at by Lucas in recent interviews). I won't be rushing to watch them though.

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue May 27, 2008 3:26 pm

AVGN review of previous Indy games, worth a look (you cynics)
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34277.html

The Master

Post by The Master » Tue May 27, 2008 4:05 pm

CGI fridge?
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

1500graham

Post by 1500graham » Tue May 27, 2008 6:05 pm

Watched the film yesterday and enjoyed certain elements of it, such as the action scenes and the nuclear test, however the film was one dimensional compared to the other three and the ending was absolutely crap. <SECTION REMOVED SO AS NOT TO SPOIL THE FILM FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T SEEN IT YET>
Sorry Sir Clive but the ending let the whole film down in a really big way. I'm well disappointed.
"Conan, what is best in life?"

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women."

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue May 27, 2008 6:29 pm

You are OK with 2000 year old undead Knights but not aliens???

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed May 28, 2008 3:43 am

Hmmm watched it last night.

Outside of Star Wars the Indy films are probably my favourites. What can i say, perhaps its me being much older, or perhaps its just a total turkey.

Was very disappointed with it, thought the beginning was very poor, was expecting much more. Some of his acting seemed so wooden.

The Roswell scene was totally OTT and a bit silly. I dont know, i really do want to like it but i agree with the majority, was very very average and i hope they dont make any more as it'll ruin the good name much more.

Disappointing sadly (and it hurts to write that) and i have to agree with the vast majority here