Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon May 26, 2008 5:55 am

It was great. All you haters are fools. Indy films have always been a bit stupid.

Exciting, funny, silly, everything I expect from Indy.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Mon May 26, 2008 6:05 am

SirClive wrote:Exciting, funny, silly, everything I expect from Indy.
Seen it yesterday and I didnt see any of the above. It was terrible. I'm a huge fan of the trilogy and thats the way it's going to stay. Guybrush - Your opening comments were spot on. The acting, photography, script everything bar the music was poor. And that ending........

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon May 26, 2008 6:06 am

t was everything I expected from the man who created Phantom Menace
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon May 26, 2008 6:07 am

Like I said, you are fools.

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush » Mon May 26, 2008 8:50 am

SirClive wrote:Like I said, you are fools.
:roll:

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush » Mon May 26, 2008 9:09 am

paranoid marvin wrote: - and the end scene is absolutely pointless , I'm sure it'll be removed from a director's cut
Director's cuts are usually only done when a studio or producer has taken the film off a director in post production and made changes or forced the director into making changes himself. Naturally, a director might consider his orginal vision of the film compromised and seek to create his own cut. The most famous example is arguably Blade Runner.

Spielberg, probably moreso than any other modern director, will be able to exercise total control over how the film ends up on screen i.e. he'll have final cut written into all his contracts. Sure, Lucas holds a lot of influence but ultimately Spielberg would have had to sign off on everything. Thus, unfortunately for us, Spielberg must actually be happy with the mess he released, making a future director's cut very unlikely unless he comes to his senses. Here's hoping.

I wonder if the film could be saved somehow with a re-edit?

Loftgroover

Post by Loftgroover » Mon May 26, 2008 2:24 pm

i really enjoyed it...til the ending. even for an indy film it went too far imo

my mates hated the ants bit tho which i loved...

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Mon May 26, 2008 2:52 pm

S'funny how different people dislike/like different bits (apart from Guybrush = all of it ;))

I loved the opening Paramount sight gag, the image of Indy dwarfed by the Mushroom Cloud, the Barnett College chase sequence, and the bit where the blades went through Indy's truck in the jungle after he fired the bazooka. I didn't go much on the ants or anything after that... still going to make a return trip to see it again though :)

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon May 26, 2008 3:22 pm

Loved the ants , and the bad guys were pretty cool too

It isn't the first time that the Paramount thing has been done , although the intro was ok , but not as good as Raiders , TOD or LC

It IS silly , it IS exciting and it does have a believable Indy (unlike Rocky). The thing is that we want Indy to be just like he was 15 years ago - and that ain't gonna happen.

I really do think that the director's lost the plot these days . Too many films made on the backs of classics . He certainly was fantastic back in the day - but not any more
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Mon May 26, 2008 3:47 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:It isn't the first time that the Paramount thing has been done , although the intro was ok , but not as good as Raiders , TOD or LC
Well, the joke depended on previous knowledge of the similar cut from the logo at the start of Raiders, and was possibly a subtle dig from Lucas at the flak he was expecting to get from the fanboys... Made me laugh anyway.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Mon May 26, 2008 3:54 pm

Overall it was censored poor. Yes the paramount joke was good(as it is with all indy films) and the music was good. The action scenes were boaring (TOD has it's faults but it is great fun)and there was no excitment. Compare the 'car' chase scenes in Raiders and Skull. It wasnt funny. Not once did the cinema crowd laugh bar the trailer for kung fu panda.

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush » Mon May 26, 2008 11:06 pm

mikeb wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:It isn't the first time that the Paramount thing has been done , although the intro was ok , but not as good as Raiders , TOD or LC
Well, the joke depended on previous knowledge of the similar cut from the logo at the start of Raiders, and was possibly a subtle dig from Lucas at the flak he was expecting to get from the fanboys... Made me laugh anyway.
I'm not sure a fanboy can give flak can they? Surely a fanboy, by their very definition, would defend KOTCS til the bitter end, blinded by their fundamental need to love it?

The 'mountain/paramount logo thing' was done in all three of the original Indy films (the gong in TOD and a rock formation in LC). I knew it would pop up at the start of this one and it was welcome and pretty funny. I didn't hate all of the film. Some parts were pretty amusing, but then I enjoyed Lethal Weapon 4 and Live Free or Die Hard, what the hell do I Know? ;)

On a different note. I'm not going to comment anymore on this thread because I've already written quite a bit and I think I've covered my opinion in detail. I will say one more thing however -

Ultimately, for me the film was shoddy, amateurish and boring. If you enjoyed it then that's super. It's all opinions and subjectivity at the end of the day. I wouldn't dare to presume my opinion is more valid than anyone else's (even with my degree in Film to back it up), and I certainly wouldn't describe anyone who enjoyed the film as a 'fool'. Conversely, I wouldn't expect to be called a 'fool' for expressing my opinion. I remember being called somthing similar (but a little more graphic) when I told my friends that I hadn't enjoyed Phantom Menace when leaving the cinema on release day in 1999. I assume the comparison is not lost on anyone.

:)

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue May 27, 2008 2:16 am

You all need to lighten up.

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Tue May 27, 2008 5:19 am

Based on everything I have read in this thread, I intend to pay £8.50 (or whatever the going rate is nowadays) at the UCI Trafford Centre next weekend JUST to watch the Paramount Logo reference/in-joke.

This means that (technically) Indy will be FREE, and therefore if I don't enjoy it, I won't care, as I won't have wasted any money.
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue May 27, 2008 5:39 am

I'm off to watch it tonight.

I have heard bad things from friends though. They were huge Indy fans and were looking forward to it but all have come away disappointed and it does seem to stink of Phantom Menace

Eg you want to like it as its Indy and half of you wants to fight and say how great it is but ultimately you know its not that good.

I'll make my own mind up tonight, i thought it might be a case of 'i'm much older now so its not quite the same' but i've heard simply its just not that great a film.