Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Type2XS

Post by Type2XS » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:36 am

I too don't know what to think of the new movie. I thought it was entertaining. But there also were so many scenes that were just plain silly. It begins with those cgi critters at the beginning, continues with the totally pointless nuklear bomb/ FBI scene, continues even more with the atrocious Tarzan-scene and ends with the really boring ending.
Yeah, there are even more, but those were the most annoying for me. What made the movie likeable was simply Harrison Ford. He did his thing pretty convinceable. He still IS Indy. A shame, that the script didn't do him real justice.
If they only adapted Fate of Atlantis :?

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:47 am

I pity all the losers on here that are in denial about the fact that Indy 4 is utter sh1te.

Why can't you wake up and smell the coffee??

Yes, everyone's opinion is different, but when you are in the minority (which is anyone that thinks this film is any good), then you just have to conceed that maybe, just maybe - you are WRONG.

Critics were near unanimous at how attrocious this fourth installment is, and guess what - it IS!
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:19 am

I agree, like many others i do reallyyyyyyy like the Indy films and i didnt watch it thinking 'i want to hate it' , i wanted to love it, i really did. Its an average film , totally over hyped but i still cant believe many people are so positive about it.

Its nothing about being older, i think Indy films really crossover a lot of ages but its just pretty average. As i say without Indy in the title it wouldnt really be even talked about much

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:29 am

EvilArmourKing wrote:I pity all the losers on here that are in denial about the fact that Indy 4 is utter sh1te.

Why can't you wake up and smell the coffee??

Yes, everyone's opinion is different, but when you are in the minority (which is anyone that thinks this film is any good), then you just have to conceed that maybe, just maybe - you are WRONG.

Critics were near unanimous at how attrocious this fourth installment is, and guess what - it IS!
So what?!? Critics are often near unaninmous about how bad certain films are but it hasn't stopped me liking them. Same with some games as well, actually.

So what you're saying is that if I happen to like or enjoy something that most other people hate, then I should just say I hate it anyway, because 'the majority must be right'? Nah, I don't think so.

I'm a Dogg, not a sheep ;)
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:48 am

I know we all have different opinions about films etc but i must admit i wouldnt say its 'utter sh*te' as its not the worst turkey ever, but on the other hand i wouldnt say its a brilliant film.

Just as its Indy i think a lot of us feel let down as its not as great as we hoped it would be

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:17 pm

EvilArmourKing wrote:Yes, everyone's opinion is different, but when you are in the minority (which is anyone that thinks this film is any good), then you just have to conceed that maybe, just maybe - you are WRONG.

I liked it and I'm not in the minority. Everyone I know who has seen it (5 other people) have all enjoyed it, and on IMDB, the average score is pretty good:

User Rating: 7.2/10 (54,705 votes)

SFX gave it 3.5/5 and Empire gave it 4/5. I haven't seen any other reviews.

So maybe you are wrong?

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:38 pm

I agree that there is no wrong or right opinion to have as to whether you find a film enjoyable or not. However, it could be argued that there are critical ways of evaluating the quality of a film. If you enjoyed the film, it does not make you wrong, but it also doesn't mean the film is a good one by any measurable standards.

Also, I wouldn't be quick to use IMDB as evidence of people enjoying the film. The score has been steadily declining since it's release. After the first weekend the score was 8.6/10. Now it's 7.2/10. Many of the first people to score the film were likely to be fanboys who went to see it on opening night and who simply had to love it. My friend Matthew is one. He saw it before me and told me it was fantastic. He admits now that he was denial.

I am not implying any of you guys who have seen Indy 4 and liked it are fanboys, but the Indiana Jones films have always had more going for them than just being enjoyable throwaway action films. They are well made movies with cinematic merit. Indy 4 just simply isn't, regardless of whether it's entertaining or not.

Personally, I don't even think it got the entertaining bit right.

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:57 pm

I hopefully appear to be a likeable-ish sort and rarely get involved in the heated arguments that pop up from time to time but I've decided to stop respecting people's opinion after this thread.

INDY IV IS HORRIBLE. Overblown, CGI happy, plot-thin, characterless, cash-in, franchises ruining, Lucas-tainted, quote-free, indefensible, mystery-free, pay-cheque-grabbing nonsense.

Oh yeah, Lost World, was always nice to see the T-Rex close the door on the ship before going on a pointless rampage.

Aaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!!!!

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:48 pm

Empire also gave The phantom menace 4 stars........................

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:51 pm

Even the critics get over-excited, you often see the DVD review get less stars a few months later.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:12 pm

TheDude18 wrote:Empire also gave The phantom menace 4 stars........................
Good point. I do feel a lot of these mags buy into the hype and do a top marks review to begin with (to get sales) and then seem to climb down a bit later.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:41 pm

Here's my idea for a much better ending:

When Indy inserts the Crystal Skull into the lock, The door opens and instead of a large dark room (in the film), it opens to a large town made of gold. It has opened the door to Eldorado. Cate Blanchet orders her men to go into the different rooms to find a throne room. She grabs the crystal skull off Indy and one by one, her men in the different rooms, get killed in different ways. She eventually finds the throne room and sees a large gold throne. After Indy finds an inscription on a wall which, in a nushell says If the crystal skull is in the hands of an outsider who sits in the God's chair, they will become the city and the gold will be buried forever, sits on it with the crystal skull, unwittingly igniting the writings warning, trapping her in the chair by clasping her hands and legs. Then, because the power of the skull, she starts to turn to ash which then fills small holes in the chair which sinks into the floor and makes Edorado starts to fall to pieces, which Indy and his companions have to escape.

I mean, come on, at least there's no sodding aliens in it!!
Last edited by JetSetWilly on Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:43 pm

sscott wrote:I hopefully appear to be a likeable-ish sort and rarely get involved in the heated arguments that pop up from time to time but I've decided to stop respecting people's opinion after this thread.

INDY IV IS HORRIBLE. Overblown, CGI happy, plot-thin, characterless, cash-in, franchises ruining, Lucas-tainted, quote-free, indefensible, mystery-free, pay-cheque-grabbing nonsense.

Oh yeah, Lost World, was always nice to see the T-Rex close the door on the ship before going on a pointless rampage.

Aaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!!!!
I totally agree - there is very little in the film TO like . As I mentioned previously , the film is virtually quote free , unheard of for an Indy film - it is also free of memorable scenes , apart from the one which is totally ridiculous - and what the f*** were the FBI doing in there? seriously , what kind of a script brings these guys in as part of what appears to be a sub-plot , then totally dispenses with them. Also was it entirely neccessary for just about everyone Indy had ever known to have died by this point?

I think the main reason that the film is bad is because it is virtually humourless - there are simply NO funny bits. Raiders was full of them , TOD had a few , and LC was absolutely packed to the rafters - but Indy IVdidn't have ONE single scene where the cinema audience laughed - and that is just , plain bad

The director has lost it , he really has. He hasn't made a decent film now for 10 years - I mean , what was the last ORIGINAL film he made ie not a film made on the back of one of his franchises?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:46 pm

sscott wrote:I hopefully appear to be a likeable-ish sort and rarely get involved in the heated arguments that pop up from time to time but I've decided to stop respecting people's opinion after this thread.

Aaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!!!!
The T-Rex didn't close the cargo hold on the ship, whoever pressed the button did to try and stop the T-Rex escaping, but got chomped at the same time, hence the chewed off hand found still holding onto the button.

I thought The Lost World was a far better film than Jurassic Park, that's a debate for another thread though.

And had I reviewed The Phantom Menace, I'd have given it 4 stars too. Even now, after seeing it a few times. :)

And I like Indy 4. Not the best film I've ever seen but I still liked it nonetheless.

And yet certain films which are almost universally loved by critics and public alike, such as 'The Sixth Sense' I think are complete and utter s**te.

I don't like talk of not respecting other people's opinions. As long as everyone respects my opinion, I'll respect theirs, whether I debate with them about it or not. It's only a bloody film for God's sake. :roll:
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

1500graham

Post by 1500graham » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:39 pm

sscott wrote:Jesus, I can't believe what I'm hearing. The film was sh1t! Interstingly the only good responses from people in the audience was when it referred to the earlier movies. Having had 48hrs to think about it now I hate it even more, that ending was awful and didn't explain anything. Oh and I can't just sit back and 'enjoy it for what it is' if it's not enjoyable. Like the Phantom Menace I was surrounded by people (like me) willing it to be good. I really enjoyed the first Matrix, couldn't wait for Reloaded and then spent 2 hrs convincing myself it was good when it was in fact an overblown mess.
Things I really hated about the movie:
- Surviving a nuclear bomb in a fridge
- "I lied about being a double-agent!"
- "What are you, like 80?" (wow, the 30th reference to his age)
- falling down 3 waterfalls
- tarzan/monkey scene - urrgh
- John Hurt, Cate Blanchett, Jim Broadbent and Ray Winstone either horribly mis-cast or underused (take your pick)
- The whole FBI scene that didn't go anywhere
- Non-threatening Russians
- Karen Allen just smiling and standing there - grateful for a pay-cheque
- ending with large swirly crap and cast desperatley trying to explain what just happened, treasure was knowledge, hey it's a metaphor!
- Steven Spielberg showing about as much interest as when he directed the Lost World
- Harrison Ford phoning it in.
- etc...
Haven't read all the feedback yet but can't disagree with this!
"Conan, what is best in life?"

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women."