Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:36 pm

I dunno, I rewatched TOD recently and I thought the character of Short Round was quite entertaining - "You call him Dr. Jones, doll!"

Yeah it's the same kid from Goonies.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:02 pm

SirClive wrote:
sscott wrote:There seems to be this common notion that if you saw the Phantom Menace... ...when you were younger it was therefore a great film, probably more to do with the fact that you have experienced less quality fims at this age
Completely disagree. I saw Star Wars on its original 1977 release and have been a huge star wars fan ever since (I ran a star wars fan site for a while in my geekier years). I loved Menace. The film was dialogue heavy and it took a while to get used to McGreggor's dodgy accent but it was interesting, exciting and very enjoyable. The podrace scene being a highlight of the whole series.
Hear, hear! :)

I didn't see the original Star Wars when it first came out (I was born just a couple of months before!!) but I grew up with the original trilogy and all the toys and loved them. And I also loved The Phantom Menace (still do) when I went to see it on the day it came out, by which time I was in my Twenties.

I don't understand how anybody could find Short Round in Temple Of Doom more annoying than Indy's dad in Last Crusade. I just didn't find Sean Connery at all funny in that film, he just didn't work as a comedy sidekick and I found his character embarrassing, the whole film was way too 'sentimental' in a lot of parts too....luckily there were enough good bits to outweigh the bad so I still like it.

The Crystal Skull is the same IMO, the good outweighs the bad. And I still enjoyed it a bit more than Last Crusade.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:02 pm

I'll take Short Round over Ray Winstones 'sidekick' any day of the week

'Jonesiee...!" Arghhh..

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:13 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:
SirClive wrote:
sscott wrote:There seems to be this common notion that if you saw the Phantom Menace... ...when you were younger it was therefore a great film, probably more to do with the fact that you have experienced less quality fims at this age
Completely disagree. I saw Star Wars on its original 1977 release and have been a huge star wars fan ever since (I ran a star wars fan site for a while in my geekier years). I loved Menace. The film was dialogue heavy and it took a while to get used to McGreggor's dodgy accent but it was interesting, exciting and very enjoyable. The podrace scene being a highlight of the whole series.
Hear, hear! :)

I didn't see the original Star Wars when it first came out (I was born just a couple of months before!!) but I grew up with the original trilogy and all the toys and loved them. And I also loved The Phantom Menace (still do) when I went to see it on the day it came out, by which time I was in my Twenties.

I don't understand how anybody could find Short Round in Temple Of Doom more annoying than Indy's dad in Last Crusade. I just didn't find Sean Connery at all funny in that film, he just didn't work as a comedy sidekick and I found his character embarrassing, the whole film was way too 'sentimental' in a lot of parts too....luckily there were enough good bits to outweigh the bad so I still like it.

The Crystal Skull is the same IMO, the good outweighs the bad. And I still enjoyed it a bit more than Last Crusade.
I really liked Connery in TLC , and thought his dry wit rather funny. In fact , I would go so far as to say TLC is my favourite of ALL the Indy films (although TOD has the best intro)
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:25 pm

Jesus, I can't believe what I'm hearing. The film was sh1t! Interstingly the only good responses from people in the audience was when it referred to the earlier movies. Having had 48hrs to think about it now I hate it even more, that ending was awful and didn't explain anything. Oh and I can't just sit back and 'enjoy it for what it is' if it's not enjoyable. Like the Phantom Menace I was surrounded by people (like me) willing it to be good. I really enjoyed the first Matrix, couldn't wait for Reloaded and then spent 2 hrs convincing myself it was good when it was in fact an overblown mess.
Things I really hated about the movie:
- Surviving a nuclear bomb in a fridge
- "I lied about being a double-agent!"
- "What are you, like 80?" (wow, the 30th reference to his age)
- falling down 3 waterfalls
- tarzan/monkey scene - urrgh
- John Hurt, Cate Blanchett, Jim Broadbent and Ray Winstone either horribly mis-cast or underused (take your pick)
- The whole FBI scene that didn't go anywhere
- Non-threatening Russians
- Karen Allen just smiling and standing there - grateful for a pay-cheque
- ending with large swirly crap and cast desperatley trying to explain what just happened, treasure was knowledge, hey it's a metaphor!
- Steven Spielberg showing about as much interest as when he directed the Lost World
- Harrison Ford phoning it in.
- etc...

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:26 pm

I really like Connery in Last Crusade. It is his relationship with Indy that makes LC my fave Indy film.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:15 pm

SirClive wrote:I really like Connery in Last Crusade. It is his relationship with Indy that makes LC my fave Indy film.
I agree , I loved the way they played off each other

Indy "I liked the Austrian way better"
Dad "So did I"

Indy "It's disgraceful , you're old enough to be her grandafther!"
Dad " Well , I'm as human as the next man"
Indy " Dad , i *was* the next man!"

Dad "14th Ming Dynasty . Oh , it breaks my heart"
Indy "And the head.You hit me , dad"
Dad "I'll never forgive myself"
Indy "Don't worry , I'm alright"
Dad "Thank God...it's a fake"

Dad "You didn't think my son would be that stupid did you? That he would bring my diary all the way back here?"
Dad "You didn't , did you?"
Indy "Uh"
Dad "You did!"
Indy "Can we discuss this later?"
Dad "I should have mailed it to the Marx Brothers!"
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:19 pm

Brilliant dialogue . But it also takes two actors , working in unison , to make it work - and Connery and Ford did just that

In fact , looking at the witty dialogue , fast paced , but well thought-out set pieces , a cohesive story without lots of loose ends , makes me realise even more just how BAD the new movie is.

I mean , is there even ONE memorable quote from the film? Or even one stand out set piece (with the possible exception of the speederbike , sorry I mean jeep fight , which was pulled straight out of the forests of Endor - and even that wasn't centred on Indy)
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:22 pm

Oh and can't forget the best

"How did you know she was a Nazi?"
"She talks in her sleep"
:lol:
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:58 pm

sscott wrote:Jesus, I can't believe what I'm hearing. The film was sh1t! Interstingly the only good responses from people in the audience was when it referred to the earlier movies. Having had 48hrs to think about it now I hate it even more, that ending was awful and didn't explain anything. Oh and I can't just sit back and 'enjoy it for what it is' if it's not enjoyable. Like the Phantom Menace I was surrounded by people (like me) willing it to be good. I really enjoyed the first Matrix, couldn't wait for Reloaded and then spent 2 hrs convincing myself it was good when it was in fact an overblown mess.
- John Hurt, Cate Blanchett, Jim Broadbent and Ray Winstone either horribly mis-cast or underused (take your pick)
- ending with large swirly crap and cast desperatley trying to explain what just happened, treasure was knowledge, hey it's a metaphor!
- Steven Spielberg showing about as much interest as when he directed the Lost World
- etc...
Um.....I liked The Lost World, thought it was much better than the first Jurassic Park film, and far superior to Micheal Crichton's Lost World book.

I'm going to Hell, I think.... :roll:

Anyway, I DO like The Last Crusade, just because I personally didn't think Indy's dad worked as a character doesn't mean that I hated all his lines of dialogue or anything, far from it. And there's certain scenes that I think are brilliant, such as the Nazi book burning, where Hitler autographs the Grail diary :lol: :lol: It's still a great film, despite my grievances with it.

And it's also true that I hated the 'Tarzan' bit in Crystal Skull. :(

But on the whole, I just enjoyed Crystal Skull that little bit more than Last Crusade. I'm entitled to my opinion, right? As you are yours. As paranoid marvin said, it's good that people don't all like the same stuff, otherwise certain films would never get made. General concensus is that all Troma films are crap, but I love them. Each to their own. :)

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:54 am

ToxieDogg wrote:
sscott wrote:Jesus, I can't believe what I'm hearing. The film was sh1t! Interstingly the only good responses from people in the audience was when it referred to the earlier movies. Having had 48hrs to think about it now I hate it even more, that ending was awful and didn't explain anything. Oh and I can't just sit back and 'enjoy it for what it is' if it's not enjoyable. Like the Phantom Menace I was surrounded by people (like me) willing it to be good. I really enjoyed the first Matrix, couldn't wait for Reloaded and then spent 2 hrs convincing myself it was good when it was in fact an overblown mess.
- etc...
Um.....I liked The Lost World, thought it was much better than the first Jurassic Park film, and far superior to Micheal Crichton's Lost World book.

I'm going to Hell, I think.... :roll:

Anyway, I DO like The Last Crusade, just because I personally didn't think Indy's dad worked as a character doesn't mean that I hated all his lines of dialogue or anything, far from it. And there's certain scenes that I think are brilliant, such as the Nazi book burning, where Hitler autographs the Grail diary :lol: :lol: It's still a great film, despite my grievances with it.

And it's also true that I hated the 'Tarzan' bit in Crystal Skull. :(

But on the whole, I just enjoyed Crystal Skull that little bit more than Last Crusade. I'm entitled to my opinion, right? As you are yours. As paranoid marvin said, it's good that people don't all like the same stuff, otherwise certain films would never get made. General concensus is that all Troma films are crap, but I love them. Each to their own. :)
yeah , the Tarzan bit really was silly. I know that Indy films can be a little far fetched - parachuting using a rubber dinghy anyone? - but they were never complete fantasy like that bit
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:27 pm

Never complete fantasy you say? Of course they were. Just look at the swirly evil spirits from 'Raiders' that came out of the Ark and killed all the Nazi's!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:33 pm

C=Style wrote:Never complete fantasy you say? Of course they were. Just look at the swirly evil spirits from 'Raiders' that came out of the Ark and killed all the Nazi's!
no , the things that Indy did were all possible , if a little dangerous

the spirits coming out of the ark weren't unbelievable , they were quite possible in contexet with the fact that they came out of the Ark of The Covenant

Swinging through the jungle like Tarzan , only to land in the jeep wasn't just unrealistic , it was complete fantasy . Nothing he'd done previously remotely suggested his ability to do what he did.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:29 pm

Seeing as Indy 4 (it's sh*te) has caused so much debate its time to open the Alien V Predator 2 topic! Bring on the fanboys!

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:42 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
C=Style wrote:Never complete fantasy you say? Of course they were. Just look at the swirly evil spirits from 'Raiders' that came out of the Ark and killed all the Nazi's!
no , the things that Indy did were all possible , if a little dangerous

the spirits coming out of the ark weren't unbelievable , they were quite possible in contexet with the fact that they came out of the Ark of The Covenant

Swinging through the jungle like Tarzan , only to land in the jeep wasn't just unrealistic , it was complete fantasy . Nothing he'd done previously remotely suggested his ability to do what he did.
Good job it was actually Indy's son, not Indy himself who did the Tarzan act then, otherwise it would have been REALLY unbelievable. Indy did attempt to swing onto a jeep in the warehouse at the start but failed, due to his age and dwindling abilities and landed in the jeep behind instead.

Either way though, that Tarzan sequence was still goddawful.

And the action sequences in RotLA and ToD were a lot more tense and exciting (the whole scene from Raiders where Indy is being dragged behind the truck by his whip and then manages to get into it springs to mind :) )