Teleporters in Star Trek

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Sun May 25, 2008 12:20 pm

I think you are all getting confused....

I may be wrong but the transporters in Star Trek were just some kind of special effect trickery....

I am not sure how it worked but I would imagine mirrors, or some kind of computer wizardry was used....

They are not real....

and Star Trek IS censored of the smelliest kind

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Sun May 25, 2008 5:16 pm

I I'm fairly they transport the original matter molecules. Otherwise, what are they using to reconstruct the copy at the other end? They have beamed stuff into vacuums if I remember right (in a lab at some point, not people. Certainly they've beamed stuff into space). It would also explain why it's called a "transporter" rather than a "clonomatron." As for whether the process kills you, doesn't seem to bother them all that much. Like on Discworld, they probably have legislation against zombie discrimination anyway.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Sun May 25, 2008 8:23 pm

i always wonderd why the members of starfleet wern't all fat blobs as they never walk anywhere! its beam here ,shuttle there! and did you ever see an episode where they are chilling on the gym deck in there spare time? nope they are playing funky chess or slobbing out drinking synthahol!...thats another thing....why do they drink none alchaholic drinks that replicate the real thing....people do it these days so they don,t feel left out if they are driving...but whats the point if alchahol is illegal? surely synthahol would only encourage people to try the real thing?

and fazer rifles...theres no indication at all that they are any more powerfull than the hand-held versions..but are just bigger and bulkier,so why bother!
and if the enterprise was on an ongoing mission and didn't return home for years at a time how come the ship never showed battle scars at the beginning of each eppisode? and when peeps got killed how did they replace them?

star trek left me with too many unanswerd questions for my liking and didn't contain enough realism ! thats why i stopped watching it when i was seven! :P
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

merman

Post by merman » Mon May 26, 2008 5:54 am

Phaser rifles hold a lot more energy in the tank, allowing more shots. They were not used in every episode, because the type 1 is more covert... of course, if you leave it behind then it's not a good idea.

(Benny, a camera turned sideways and iron filings being poured into a beam of light... that's the original series method of getting the "sparkly" effect)
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon May 26, 2008 6:04 am

mohicankid wrote:i always wonderd why the members of starfleet wern't all fat blobs as they never walk anywhere! its beam here ,shuttle there! and did you ever see an episode where they are chilling on the gym deck in there spare time? nope they are playing funky chess or slobbing out drinking synthahol!...thats another thing....why do they drink none alchaholic drinks that replicate the real thing....people do it these days so they don,t feel left out if they are driving...but whats the point if alchahol is illegal? surely synthahol would only encourage people to try the real thing?

and fazer rifles...theres no indication at all that they are any more powerfull than the hand-held versions..but are just bigger and bulkier,so why bother!
and if the enterprise was on an ongoing mission and didn't return home for years at a time how come the ship never showed battle scars at the beginning of each eppisode? and when peeps got killed how did they replace them?

star trek left me with too many unanswerd questions for my liking and didn't contain enough realism ! thats why i stopped watching it when i was seven! :P
And why are sheilds always at 73%, the shields on the enterprise ships must be the most pointless bit of tech ever invented/concocted as they always seem to crumble after about 3 shots.
Splink!

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Wed May 28, 2008 9:56 am

merman wrote:Check out The Physics of Star Trek by Lawrence Krauss, an awesome book that looks into some of the mysteries/oddities behind Star Trek's science...
I just stumbled across this thread, and immediately thought of that book, then started searching to see if anyone had already mentioned it - too late (again)

Krauss's book is a very good 'popular science' read encompassing some very detailed and interesting insights into all matter of Star Trek gadgets and gizmos (unfortunately showing a great many to be impossible, according to currently accepted laws of mathematics, information theory and physics)

merman

Post by merman » Wed May 28, 2008 11:31 am

neuromancer wrote: I just stumbled across this thread, and immediately thought of that book, then started searching to see if anyone had already mentioned it - too late (again)

Krauss's book is a very good 'popular science' read encompassing some very detailed and interesting insights into all matter of Star Trek gadgets and gizmos (unfortunately showing a great many to be impossible, according to currently accepted laws of mathematics, information theory and physics)
I also picked up a bargain - the three follow-on books (not officially endorsed by Paramount). "Beyond Star Trek - the science of sci-fi films" also by Lawrence Krauss. In which the first chapter proves the giant saucers in Independence Day would have wiped out the Earth with gravitational fields even before they launched the saucers to destroy the monuments. "Is Data Human? The Metaphysics of Star Trek" which looks at whether the soul would survive teleportation. And "The Biology of Star Trek" which explains why Captain Kirk won't be hit with lots of alien paternity suits...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

The Master

Post by The Master » Wed May 28, 2008 11:41 am

I read the Wikipedia entry on all this shog, and it scared me.
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed May 28, 2008 11:46 am

SirClive wrote:I thought it broke you down into molecules, sent those molecules somewhere and then rebuilt you? Was I being too simplistic?
You end up looking like this
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

drws

Post by drws » Wed May 28, 2008 12:05 pm

Dunjohn wrote:I I'm fairly they transport the original matter molecules. Otherwise, what are they using to reconstruct the copy at the other end?
Whoa! Moving molecules faster than the speed of light? I think a physics teacher just passed out somewhere :D

You don't necessarily need to visit the transporter room to transport. (Site-to-Site transports)
Which kind of makes the room a bit pointless? :) Why not just beam from where you're standing.

Isn't the transporter is an example of E=MC2, your matter being converted to energy and back again.

I'm beginning to think this star trek lark might be a work of fiction. :lol:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed May 28, 2008 1:54 pm

merman wrote:"Is Data Human? The Metaphysics of Star Trek" which looks at whether the soul would survive teleportation.
Does it also prove gods exists? Can't see the point in souls without them.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Wed May 28, 2008 4:59 pm

drws wrote:
Dunjohn wrote:I I'm fairly they transport the original matter molecules. Otherwise, what are they using to reconstruct the copy at the other end?
Whoa! Moving molecules faster than the speed of light? I think a physics teacher just passed out somewhere :D
See also: "warp speed" :roll:

If they don't use the original molecules, then every time they beam an enemy out into space to kill it they're just wasting time. They could just beam him up and then not create a copy out there. Or, they could create a single Master Chief super-soldier, beam him up, then shoot copies all over any planet they want to invade.

Well, the Klingons anyway. The Federation probably has a directive against this sort of thing.
It's called a MEGADRIVE