Teleporters in Star Trek

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Master

Teleporters in Star Trek

Post by The Master » Fri May 23, 2008 7:44 am

If they're breaking down the molecules of your body, storing the information as a pattern and then using that data to reconstitute your physical form at the other end...

...then aren't they actually KILLING you each time you step in one? With an exact copy living on not knowing the difference?

Duh.
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

pforson

Post by pforson » Fri May 23, 2008 7:51 am

Depends how quick it all happens does it not?

If it happened faster than the speed of sound, I could shoot a gun then teleport and then hear the gun shot again :)
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

The Master

Post by The Master » Fri May 23, 2008 7:56 am

Eh? My point is that it'd be the copy of you hearing the gunshot the second time, while you yourself would be waiting up at the pearly gates cursing modern technology (or convenient yet ill-thought out plot devices)...

video-gamer-girl

Post by video-gamer-girl » Fri May 23, 2008 8:13 am

thats always made me think, Could we really can teleport our body's? , we would be dead. i did hear some one manage to teleport light, some thing ages ago i heard a bout

Beam me up Scotty!

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Fri May 23, 2008 8:37 am

You still look like a fish to me, Master.
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri May 23, 2008 8:39 am

I thought it broke you down into molecules, sent those molecules somewhere and then rebuilt you? Was I being too simplistic?

The Master

Post by The Master » Fri May 23, 2008 8:48 am

Even if it did that - actually transported the molecules - I put it to you that at the moment of dissolution you would DIE, and when the molecules were reassembled at the other end it would be a new being taking your place. Just one that believed with full conviction that it WAS you.
EvilArmourKing wrote:You still look like a fish to me, Master.
Better than a hippo I guess...

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri May 23, 2008 8:53 am

Its a common concept in pulp sci-fi, even parodied from time to time (I believe Futurama featured it once). Typically the transmitter has dual purpose as a waste disposal unit.

I suspect that the Star Trek variants aren't working on the 'destroy and recreate' principles but are instead using some oddities in quantum physics that allow particles to exist in two places at once. Can't remember exactly how it works (I'm no quantum physicist) but theory tests suggest it may actually be possible and not just fantasy.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

pforson

Post by pforson » Fri May 23, 2008 10:02 am

If your theory is correct then thats brilliant!

Each time you teleport a version of yourself would die. There could be a whole army of Pete's up in heaven. I could even be naughty for a while so that one version was sent to hell, just to have a look around. I could spend my whole existence here on earth just going in and out of teleporters, replicating myself. Brilliant!
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Fri May 23, 2008 10:19 am

i thought it dissasembles your bits, and then lterally beams the bits somewhere else then reconstitutes the bits. what a load of a r s e

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri May 23, 2008 2:47 pm

There have been Short stories/TV shows where the original is copied in the first teleporter, then recreated at the other end, and the original hasn't been destroyed, so you end up with two people who both think of themselves as the proper person. Star Trek TNG probably did it at some point.

The whole "being killed" thing is something I've thought about plenty of times, and I'm not sure I'd want to ever teleport, unless they could fix you on the way - like remove cancer or other anomalies. If you were going to die anyway, it would be worth it.

andy vaisey

Post by andy vaisey » Fri May 23, 2008 3:04 pm

necronom wrote:There have been Short stories/TV shows where the original is copied in the first teleporter, then recreated at the other end, and the original hasn't been destroyed, so you end up with two people who both think of themselves as the proper person. Star Trek TNG probably did it at some point.
ST:TNG Second Chances

I believe that the reason the "transporter" was invented was because the producers couldn't afford to film a shuttle craft.

Anyway, transporters are probably impossible because of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. In Star Trek, the transporter has a component called the Heisenberg Compensator to overcome this, because the creators knew the issues and didn't want people writing in every week.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri May 23, 2008 3:17 pm

The Master wrote:Even if it did that - actually transported the molecules - I put it to you that at the moment of dissolution you would DIE, and when the molecules were reassembled at the other end it would be a new being taking your place. Just one that believed with full conviction that it WAS you.
Only the same way people die for minutes in hospitals all the time.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

The Master

Post by The Master » Fri May 23, 2008 3:18 pm

andy vaisey wrote:Heisenberg uncertainty principle
What does that actually mean? I tried reading about it on Wikipedia, but quantum mechanics seriously does my head in...
Dudley wrote:Only the same way people die for minutes in hospitals all the time.
Umm, how so? That's still the same collection of molecules in the same physical space, untouched by any (admittedly fictitious) electrical time/space/atomical structural jiggery-pokery whatsit.

andy vaisey

Post by andy vaisey » Fri May 23, 2008 3:27 pm

The Master wrote:
andy vaisey wrote:Heisenberg uncertainty principle
What does that actually mean? I tried reading about it on Wikipedia, but quantum mechanics seriously does my head in...
Sub atomically, if you take an electron, for example, you can know it's exact position at one time or it's exact momentum at one time, but not both. You could guess with a certain degree of probability, but...

...because the transporter has to make an exact copy, not knowing some of this information and guessing could be a disaster.