yes
47%
no
53%

Total votes: 149

RMLF

Re: wrestling

Post by RMLF » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:03 pm

lanky316 wrote:How easy is it for you to nip to Preston? Know a few feds operate out of Preston on and off. Other month Doug Williams was there for NBW - Southside and Colt Cabana is due for someone else in August. Decent card alongside him actually and could be worth the crack. Good that a few companies don't rely on too many imports but good to see the odd one over.
I saw the first NBW- Southside show in March iirc and was excellent, albeit the venue was a bit odd because of low roof ( however the ring will be moved for the first PCW show I think it should, though a night club, it is a classy venue for Wrassling!). I made it outside to the show at Preston College a few weeks ago before my back went funny so couldnt go. However, Iam reliably informed that it was awesome.

Afaik, after speaking to the promoter for a bit, the PCW show is being run by the same guy, but is letting the NBW- Southside name revert to his partner in business who runs out of Cambridge. He is building a new brand for a Preston promotion. GPW have run Preston before when they were kicked out of the Monaco Ballroom for a bit, but Canterbury Hall has long since been demolished and then there was the great GWF/ Jon Farrer debacle from about a decade ago. 1st show at Preston Guildhall was a success, Lil Guido, Trent Acid, Jake The Snake Roberts. Jonny and Jody etc. but the 2nd show in Blackburn was scene of the infamous ring no show :/ Failing that there was an upstart promotion that ran a few shows in Rumes/PR1/Aqualennium/Whatever its called this week and wanted to run Preston and Blackburn, but disappeared after its 2nd show I think.

The market is here despite GPW in Wigan FSW in Stockport and previously the FWA et al Dome shows in Morecombe. Its a traditional area and did well in the 1970'/80's hey day in terms of wrestling, what with Blackpool Pleasure Beach stuff in the 1980's and stuff and many people still follow American style wrestling here. The tribute shows at the Guildhall seem to draw well as well.

The guy running NBW/PCW is a huge wrestling fan, and was hoping to make a go of it with some sound business sense/connections to back it up as well, rather than just being a fan who puts on shows. The first NBW show drew about 40 people but the 2nd drew about 150 and money was made elsewhere. So things are looking potentially good for the future. Whether it will stick who knows. He said will give it 5 shows when he started, the next one in August will be show t3 and October's show 4

Re booking import talent, 'loaning' or talent sharing can help cut the costs dramatically. but not so sure on how viable it is as would require tie ins with a number of different feds' suppose it depends on whose running when and where though.

As for DPrinny's idea about watching Wrestling down the pub, places do it already, went to a Wrestlemania night in march was over 200 people there watching wrestling and drinking in to the wee hours. If a pub shows boxing fights late already it may be more swayed for a wrestling gig, as long as its a big do. Rumble, Mania etc and people are interested, themed around it Fancy Dress, Cheap Food and Entry Fee or something.

Regarding big UK star's there are some, and they wrestle all over the country, each fed though has its differences either in story lines and what not so things arent necessarily carried over country wide, diluting the product. Crap promoters and naff shows dont help things either. Stars of British Wrestling at the mo would be the likes of EL Ligero, Travis, Kirby, Hayes, Mastiff, Bubblegum Jonny Storm ( has Jody quit again?) Spud and so on... I guess, they are there, but it will never be as big as it was. The shame
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:41 pm

Question.

Considering all the recent rubbish PPVs, what do you lot consider as the worst PPV?

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:09 pm

DPrinny wrote:Question.

Considering all the recent rubbish PPVs, what do you lot consider as the worst PPV?
This year, Wrestlemania 27, easily. I've posted about why I hated it earlier on this thread, no need to go through that again.

I didn't think much of TNA Sacrifice this year, but I've seen worse even a few years back. Bound For Glory's another obvious candidate but outside of the fiasco with Jeff Hardy at the end it wasn't too bad. That 'I Quit' match at WWE Over The Limit was ust a massive 'facepalm' moment that would've ruined the whole PPV had it not been for the Christian/Orton match being so great. But then the Christian vs Orton rematch at Capital Punishment last week was pretty boring in comparison. :(

But as the actual worst PPV of all time....WWE/ECW December To Dismember 2006. Many peple forget that it was so dire that they actually pulled the plug on it about 45 mins early (it was only 2h and 15 mins long, something like that). At least when TNA did that with Bound For Glory, they gave everyone who paid 6 free months of TNA On Demand, I don't remember WWE issuing any kind of apology for that other garbage.
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:23 pm

Id have more of a opinion on the worst, but I only really started to be able to watch them about 7 or so years ago

CP was very dire, the only interesting thing was the kid throwing his drink at truth

In other kinda related news
http://www.24wrestling.com/spoiler-five ... t-tapings/
Jack Evans, Homicide, Low Ki, Matt Bentley and Jimmy Wang Yang are all backstage at tonight’s TNA iMPACT! tapings.

All of these talents are expected to take part in the TV tapings tonight and tomorrow, then at the Destination X PPV on July 10.
Looks like Jimmy will get some screen time that the WWE wont give him

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:20 am

CM Punk has been "suspended indefinitely" for a worked shoot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OS9wZGb ... ded#at=319

Brings the question will he still get his title shot at money in the bank? Probably. Definantly more like it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:20 am

That was bloody great.
His profile is no longer on WWEs site.

I really got to start on those ROH PPVs I have saved up

Cara vs Evan is going to be on a Botchmaina video I can feel it

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:27 am

ROH was doing a $5 DVD sale on their site at the weekend. If it is still on I suggest you check it out, sadly I'm low on cash right now so I can't afford them which is a shame because 20 DVD's for $100 + postage (which would be like £10-£20 postage) would be great.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:31 am

I would.
But im kinda in the same area

Been eyeing up some HHH T-shirts.
they look a bit awesome, but then so is the price
£20+ and postage?

You know its sad when your normal weekly show is better than your PPV

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:25 am

ToxieDogg wrote:
DPrinny wrote:Question.

This year, Wrestlemania 27, easily. I've posted about why I hated it earlier on this thread, no need to go through that again.

I didn't think much of TNA Sacrifice this year, but I've seen worse even a few years back. Bound For Glory's another obvious candidate but outside of the fiasco with Jeff Hardy at the end it wasn't too bad. That 'I Quit' match at WWE Over The Limit was ust a massive 'facepalm' moment that would've ruined the whole PPV had it not been for the Christian/Orton match being so great. But then the Christian vs Orton rematch at Capital Punishment last week was pretty boring in comparison. :(

But as the actual worst PPV of all time....WWE/ECW December To Dismember 2006. Many peple forget that it was so dire that they actually pulled the plug on it about 45 mins early (it was only 2h and 15 mins long, something like that). At least when TNA did that with Bound For Glory, they gave everyone who paid 6 free months of TNA On Demand, I don't remember WWE issuing any kind of apology for that other garbage.
Ill go with Capitol Punishment It was so dire Id rather fork my eyeballs out and drop them in a vat of acid then watch it again. This years WM was a let down, and criminally boring for such an marquee event. I dont like the way the WWE are going at the moment as many of the wrestlers are identikit and having the same matches over and over again

One ray of sunshine was the recent Chris Masters vs Drew McIntyre match on superstars which was pretty epic and Im liking CM punk at the mo. Ive even stopped watching TNA at present..

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:55 am

RMLF wrote:Ill go with Capitol Punishment It was so dire Id rather fork my eyeballs out and drop them in a vat of acid then watch it again. This years WM was a let down, and criminally boring for such an marquee event. I dont like the way the WWE are going at the moment as many of the wrestlers are identikit and having the same matches over and over again

One ray of sunshine was the recent Chris Masters vs Drew McIntyre match on superstars which was pretty epic and Im liking CM punk at the mo. Ive even stopped watching TNA at present..
Capitol Punishment was crap, but it wasn't crap on a level that December to Dismember 2006 was....WWE even cancelled all the other ECW themed PPVs that they had lined up after that (there was at least going to be a November To Remember one IIRC). You should give TNA another chance....it's actually started picking up a hell of a lot since the rebrand to 'Impact Wrestling' and they're doing more things right than wrong.

WWE is so p!ss poor at the moment (for the most part....I haven't watched this weeks yet, apparently CM Punk's promo is great) that I've passed up on going to either the Raw or Smackdown tapings at Liverpool Echo Arena in November, just don't feel they deserve any more of my cash at the mo. :(
ImageImage

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:53 pm

ToxieDogg wrote: Capitol Punishment was crap, but it wasn't crap on a level that December to Dismember 2006 was....WWE even cancelled all the other ECW themed PPVs that they had lined up after that (there was at least going to be a November To Remember one IIRC). You should give TNA another chance....it's actually started picking up a hell of a lot since the rebrand to 'Impact Wrestling' and they're doing more things right than wrong.

WWE is so p!ss poor at the moment (for the most part....I haven't watched this weeks yet, apparently CM Punk's promo is great) that I've passed up on going to either the Raw or Smackdown tapings at Liverpool Echo Arena in November, just don't feel they deserve any more of my cash at the mo. :(
Wasnt watching WWE at that point and tbf only follow by spoilers and PPV and youtube at present. So cant comment on December to Dismember. I would love to give TNA another chance except the ad breaks totally kill it for me streaming it or watching it on Challenge.. a 93 hour PPV nah thanks
Shame cos the wrestling is actually getting there.. Wish they would stop burying the Brits though, and Bully Ray is bad ass.. Imagine if the E did that when they first split the dudleyz!

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:42 pm

Dunno about that mate...I don't watch TNA when it's on Challenge at the mo, I usually just download the shows the night after they've been on (from the multimedia section on wrestlingforum.com) and they've got all the ad breaks cut out, and I bittorrent the PPVs a few hours after they've been on 'cos I can't be @rsed waiting until Wednesday to watch them (with ad breaks, like you say).

With WWE, I've got a Sky + box so I just record the shows and fast forward the ad breaks (and some matches too, if they look like they're going to be bad :lol: )

I do honestly think Impact has the edge on Raw at the moment. But CM Punk's worked shoot last night was great....although it was just a work. Next week's Raw has already been taped (as it's in Australia) and without giving anything away from the spoilers I had a quick look at....CM Punk will still be having his title shot at Money In The Bank. :)
ImageImage

retrogamerdude

Post by retrogamerdude » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:42 pm

I just watched the CM Punk thing last night last night and i loved it! I've grown tired of WWE but after watching this has kind of want me to watch WWE again but i'd rather watch TNA/ROH/NJPW(right name of the wrestling in japan?) - i dont know if it is real or just a story line but after seeing he was suspended made me reliease it was a real rant against WWE because of the last days on his contract
Retro Gamer For Life <3

Lately been playing:
Splatoon 2 (Nintendo Switch)

Last Purchase - Super Mario Odyssey (NS)

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:46 pm

More great fresh action with the X division on TNA last week, and Sting is turning crazy/evil by the week. Loving it.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:49 pm

retrogamerdude wrote:i dont know if it is real or just a story line but after seeing he was suspended made me reliease it was a real rant against WWE because of the last days on his contract
It was an extremely entertaining, but worked shoot. Next week's Raw has already been taped (it's in Australia) and spoilers are already all over the 'net.....without giving anything away, it's part of a storyline to give the championship match at Money In The Bank more importance (and gain more viewers in the process, which has worked :) )

I think maybe Punk said a little more than they expected him to say, but it was all part of the plan nonetheless.
bensonrad wrote:More great fresh action with the X division on TNA last week, and Sting is turning crazy/evil by the week. Loving it.
Definitely :) TNA/Impact Wrestling is the more entertaining wrestling show on TV at the moment.
ImageImage