47%
no
53%

Total votes: 149

mohicankid

wrestling

Post by mohicankid » Mon May 05, 2008 8:51 am

what do you think of wrestling?
do you like the current incarnation on sky tv?
did you prefer uk wrestling in the 70's/80's
did you prefer the glam rock style outfits of wwf and wcw back in the 80's

or do you think its all just a bunch of retarded overweight bad actors who can't get a real job!

or maybe you just don't care?
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Mon May 05, 2008 9:32 am

I've been addicted to wrestling for nearly 2 decades now (I'm 24), and still going now! :wink:
I watch all the WWE I can watch (3 TV shows a week and Pay-per-views every month), I often go to see live shows (WWE or other feds), play all the wrestling games I can get my hands on, I'm a member of a small wrestling forum, etc...
Wrestling has been very impopular these last few years in France, but now, strangely, there's been many new wrestling shows on TV and it's getting more and more popular. I guess people are done with the "it's all fake" argument and finally come to realise it's only a spectacular soap-opera... And no, there is nothing wrong with watching oily men in trunks rolling on the floor...

We had a short-lived debate about that several months ago here. The big question was: is it a sport?
The problem is, people love or hate wrestling, and the debate is endless...
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Mon May 05, 2008 1:41 pm

i first got into wrestling in the mid 80s in the days of hulk and warrior etc....i have to say i think it was better entertainment then, although the matches are better now, but the whole glitz and glamour was just so much better back then!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon May 05, 2008 2:05 pm

bonerlaw wrote:i first got into wrestling in the mid 80s in the days of hulk and warrior etc....i have to say i think it was better entertainment then, although the matches are better now, but the whole glitz and glamour was just so much better back then!
Well , wrestling has always been a case of style over substance , but at least in the past we got some GREAT matchups like Hogan vs Ultimate Warrior and some superb tag-teams like LOD and Fabulous Freebirds, Unfortunately it's now degenerated into little more than a soap opera
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Mon May 05, 2008 5:02 pm

Hmmm, suddenly noticing Opa hasn't been around much lately. :?
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon May 05, 2008 5:04 pm

Elgin_McQueen wrote:Hmmm, suddenly noticing Opa hasn't been around much lately. :?
Rabbits only have one thing on their mind in Springl :wink:
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Mon May 05, 2008 5:48 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
bonerlaw wrote:i first got into wrestling in the mid 80s in the days of hulk and warrior etc....i have to say i think it was better entertainment then, although the matches are better now, but the whole glitz and glamour was just so much better back then!
Well , wrestling has always been a case of style over substance , but at least in the past we got some GREAT matchups like Hogan vs Ultimate Warrior and some superb tag-teams like LOD and Fabulous Freebirds, Unfortunately it's now degenerated into little more than a soap opera
The modern style of wrestling is an evolution of what used to be. Now, there are less over-the-top characters, but I think it's a good thing.
Hulk Hogan was fun as a child, but now, he would be boring... like John Cena today, popular with children, hated by adults. I think it's all because of Steve Austin! :lol:
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon May 05, 2008 6:18 pm

I can't abide it I'm afraid. I appreciate that althought it's obviously fake there is a certain amount of skill involved in the performance. I think it's the fat 40-something placard waving morons in the crowd that turn me off.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon May 05, 2008 6:41 pm

sscott wrote:I can't abide it I'm afraid. I appreciate that althought it's obviously fake there is a certain amount of skill involved in the performance. I think it's the fat 40-something placard waving morons in the crowd that turn me off.
So basically that's us then?
Splink!

Loftgroover

Post by Loftgroover » Mon May 05, 2008 6:45 pm

i lost interest just after wcw merged wwf/e.

stacy keiblers legs kept me watching a few more weeks tho :D

wrestlemania was on at a party i was at so caught a bit of that...cant believe rik flair was still about!!

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon May 05, 2008 7:05 pm

felgekarp wrote:
sscott wrote:I can't abide it I'm afraid. I appreciate that althought it's obviously fake there is a certain amount of skill involved in the performance. I think it's the fat 40-something placard waving morons in the crowd that turn me off.
I will pray for you! :)

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon May 05, 2008 7:36 pm

sscott wrote:
felgekarp wrote:
I will pray for you! :)
It's too late for that :D
Splink!

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Mon May 05, 2008 8:16 pm

Loftgroover wrote:stacy keiblers legs kept me watching a few more weeks tho :D
I used to like stephanie mcmahon.......until she started eating whatever her dad does and then doubled in size......but there were two benefits of that...... :wink:

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue May 06, 2008 7:03 am

Hmmm !

As a kid i loved wrestling, growing up and obviously realising its all fake and seeing huge greased up blokes grappling with each other i just went instantly off.

They are very talented at what they do dont get me wrong but i prefer real sport and anyone who seriously thinks wrestling (this type) is a sport are seriously very very wrong.

As i said before seeing some overweight spotty bloke in his 30's wearing an Undertaker t shirt in town still makes me laugh. Wrestling is superb for kids though.

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Tue May 06, 2008 7:35 am

i don't want this to turn back into a debate of weather or not wrestling is a sport as its not....it is clearly advertised these days as sports entertainment...i have always seen it in the same light as watching a movie...you know people arn't deliberatly killing each other...but its fun to watch!

i watch it,i do it,i love it....but i prefer watching older tapes becouse as tallented as the new lads are it just gets a little too predictable now! i have always preferd british catch style wrestling as its more technical and you have to pay more attention to whats going on to understand what is happening...but then again i'm biased :)

i don't wear wrestling related t-shirts unless its part of the gimmick and i don't hold up dodgy signs either...but you can't knock those people who do as it is what they are passionate about...they know whats going on as well as we do but now and again they let their inner child out to have some fun....

in a way i don't think its much different than wearing a games related shirt , or a t.v themed shirt!
any way i'm over-tired and rambling

carry on :D
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...