Books

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:19 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:Have you tried Edmund: A Butler's Tale?

It's a giant rollercoaster of a novel in four hundred sizzling chapters . A searing indictment of domestic servitude in the eighteenth century , with some hot gypsies thrown in.
:)

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:18 pm

Books i can seriously recommend:

Never Go Back - nice who dunnit mystery involving a great WWII backstory with the veterans.
Aliens - The book is better than the film (only just). you find out what happens to......?
Christine - Another awesome book. The movie was good, this is ten times better!
The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy - never had time to actually finish the first one, but the writing is second to none.
Children Of Dune - Started to read this and i did find it interesting.
Dune - Again started to read this, and again, just haven't had time to finish (damn you, Call Of Duty 4!!!)

just a few of my picks.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:17 am

Mickey T wrote:James Herbert has a nice back catalogue now, not all are great but when he gets it right it is a great ride, Portent, Ghost Of Sleath and Creed are amongst my favourites.
TBH I haven't read a good James Herbert book. He has some fantastic ideas that could make great books, I just wish he would get someone else to write them. Though I am the same with Thomas Harris.

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:28 am

Recently read R.A. Salvatore triology Dark Elf Triology.

Quite enjoyed it will look at some of his other books, which I believe includes some Icewind dale books.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:43 am

Can't remember the author, but the book Sleepers (which was made into a film with Brad Pitt I believe) is absolutely superb. It is about the abuse of some young offenders and how they get their revenge.
The film is good, but the book is far more hard hitting and quite a few characters and plot lines are very different.
The author wrote another book called Apaches that was a bit more sensationalist and fantastical (about new york cops I think), which is good but no where near at the level of Sleepers.

I quite like a bit of John Grisham too, but again the films don't really hit the right note.

Someone else mention Dean Koontz, I really like his stuff and probably prefer him to Stephen King.

Really wish I had the time to do more reading, but it takes me 6 months at least to finish a book these days.

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:44 am

have you tried the "RATS" trikogy by James Herbert , they're a good read , hard to put down type.
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:49 am

SirClive wrote:I quite like a bit of John Grisham too, but again the films don't really hit the right note.
Currently have Grisham's 'The Appeal' in my ipod. Seems pretty big.
Last edited by Elgin_McQueen on Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Technomancer

Post by Technomancer » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:10 am

Stephen King definitely has some books worth reading.

My personal favorites are Firestarter and Dreamcatcher.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:45 am

Anything by Ben Elton - really good stories and laugh out loud funny, despite some difficult subjects.

High Soceity, The First Casualty, Past Mortem, Blast from the Past and Stark are my fav's

(Don't read High Soceity if you think idiots take cannabis, ecstasy etc)
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Tapey297

Post by Tapey297 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:50 am

Some recomendations

By Ben Elton: Dead famous, Gridlock

The song of Fire and Ice saga by George R.R Martin: this is the best fantasy series I have ever read.

Good Omens by Terry Pratchet is great and a one off so not part of the discworld series

Frank Skinner by Frank skinner is really funny

finally Round Ireland With a Fridge by Tony Hawks

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:59 am

Popcorn is my fave Ben Elton. Was talk of a Ridley Scott movie years ago but don't think it happened. Inconceivable was also quite good and miles better than the movie adaptation Maybe Baby.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:29 am

Tapey297 wrote:Good Omens by Terry Pratchet is great and a one off so not part of the discworld series
Isn't Good Omens a collaboration with Neil Gaiman?

Which reminds me: Tom Holt's book 'Expecting Someone Taller' is one I have very fond memories of.

Unusually, I resorted to a factual book and read Tom Baker's bio a couple of years back. Its not exactly light reading (he's had some drak days), but I found it compelling.

Bill Bryson's Short History of Nearly Everything is interesting, engaging and educational. I've found his travel writing to be dull though, which is a shame following that and The Thunderbolt Kid.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:39 am

SirClive wrote:Popcorn is my fave Ben Elton. Was talk of a Ridley Scott movie years ago but don't think it happened. Inconceivable was also quite good and miles better than the movie adaptation Maybe Baby.
True - as its such a girly film I only read Inconveivable once I had done all of his others. But it turned out to be a really good book!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:42 am

SirClive wrote:
LeeT wrote:'Englands Dreaming' by Jon Savage

A history of punk mostly during the 1970's focusing mostly on the Sex Pistols. Takes some getting into but worth it in the end.
Superb book that I too recommend.
Me too!

And while you're at it, read "Rotten: No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs" by John Lydon.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:52 am

Antiriad2097 wrote: Bill Bryson's Short History of Nearly Everything is interesting, engaging and educational. I've found his travel writing to be dull though, which is a shame following that and The Thunderbolt Kid.
Absolutely fantastic book, can't recommend that one enough.

I'm reading the first part of "A History Of Britain" by Simon Schama at the moment.