WII/FREELOADER

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

mohicankid

WII/FREELOADER

Post by mohicankid » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:52 pm

there is a shop near me that is selling import wii games including manhunt 2 but i have been told i need to spend an additional £10 on a "freeloader"

is it worth it?
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:32 pm

Yes, but it depends how much you fancy risking a tenner. It works perfectly, but there's no telling if Nintendo will release a firmware upgrade which stops its functionality, like they did with the Gamecube version (although they never claimed that was intentional, *cough*.) And then, of course, you'll have games that you can no longer use until something else comes along or you delve into the world of modding.

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:19 pm

If you are impatient & want to play the latest games way before they come out in Europe, then yes go for it. However take into account what Sureshot said because I reckon a firmware release preventing region unblocking looks very likely imo. The best option if you can afford it or by selling your PAL Wii is to get the US model & an electrical stepdown converter so that the imported games will always work.

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:31 pm

its not that i'm impatient! i have a friend who go's on holliday to the us about 3 times a year and software is so much cheaper over there...currently gets me ds games but was thinking on wii as well....might get a us wii but then i won't be able to play uk games...unless i own two wii's!

Dudley

Re: WII/FREELOADER

Post by Dudley » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:51 pm

mohicankid wrote:there is a shop near me that is selling import wii games including manhunt 2 but i have been told i need to spend an additional £10 on a "freeloader"

is it worth it?
Worth pointing out that if that's a US Manhunt 2, it's just as cut as the version we'll get.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:05 pm

yea i know. :D i just want cheap

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:22 pm

If you know a good place to get CHEAP import Wii games - then let me know! Some of the usual sites are good pricewise - but nothing special! PlayAsia - I'm looking at you!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/