Drugs - How many have you have experimented?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Have you ever done drugs?

Yes, just once and it was a great experience
13%
Yes, just once but it was a horrible experience
3%
Yes, and I do them often
26%
No, my drug of choice is life, and I'm not that stupid!
58%

Total votes: 38

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:04 am

Loftgroover wrote: the old 'they are so easy to get, anyone can find them' is not strictly true seeing as I know many,many people who would be constantly of their face if they had an easy/reliable way to buy.
I'm not sure thats true, its very easy to get a hold of anything if you know the right people. The drugs culture is alot bigger than the majority of people think, its just because its so underground. I know the most unlikely people who are dealers - friendly, with jobs and no benefits.

The Master

Post by The Master » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:05 am

What is the government's actual justification for making any drug illegal? Because they're "harmful"? Any ornamental garden contains enough poison to kill you several times over...

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:11 am

I've asked myself that question - I really can't see any justification. Bar perhaps maybe heroin/crystal meth, on the grounds they're one of the few drugs that actually can damage you from the substance.

Why they allow alcohol and not weed is down to history/media. I mean, Salvias legal and that is easily the biggest hitting drug I've ever tried. Yet like mdma there are no negative side effects (If used properly).

The Master

Post by The Master » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:14 am

Salvia's legal because it's not in the slightest bit enjoyable.

I think that's what it boils down to - we're not supposed to enjoy ourselves too much...

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:23 am

lol, that's true about Salvia, but its a powerful experience nonetheless.

It does appear that, in our society euphoria is a sin.
TMR wrote:And the same is true of most drugs, surely?
Yeah that's what I said, there are both positive and negatives for any drug. The same rule applies.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:49 am

When i was young i did hang about with some of the 'tough lads' for a few years, i remember they were all sniffing poppers thinking it was tough as it was this 'drug' (even though it was legal and could get it behind some dodgy shop counters), weird weird feeling, just seems to give you a huge headache for 10 seconds or so.

Anyway then one of them discovered what its more commonly used for and then suddenly no one would touch it again ! Must admit i was quite shocked when i heard what its used for a lot !

Shaun.Bebbington

Post by Shaun.Bebbington » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:08 pm

TMR wrote:i didn't actually vote; i didn't like the text in the "no" option but couldn't say "yes" either.
I couldn't vote for the same reasons. I know plenty of people who have experimented and are in no way stupid. Everybody has their dark pleasures, whether it be alcohol or anything else including illegal substances.

Regards,

Shaun.
"It is far easier to apologise afterwards than to obtain permission." - Felix Dennis

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:37 am

The Master wrote:What is the government's actual justification for making any drug illegal? Because they're "harmful"? Any ornamental garden contains enough poison to kill you several times over...
Cannabis was originally made illegal in the U.K. because the government could make more money if more people used the (legal at the time) taxable opium being imported from China.

I think that's right, my memory is a bit shot these days, not sure why.

rtrgrl78

Post by rtrgrl78 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:45 pm

psj3809 wrote:
yethboth wrote:I've never taken illegal drugs in my life, I'm not that stupid!
Yep so why am i stupid ? So youre not stupid for taking alcohol/caffeine/cigarettes but others are for having the odd joint ?
Thats I exactly my thoughts, all I can I was young and thats just it. I wouldn't mind I nearly didn't post my entry on this forum, in case I'd get some stick.

Heavy Stylus

Post by Heavy Stylus » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:02 pm

I've done most of the softer narcotics in my past (dope, acid, pills, speed, coke), but have a job where the staff are randomly drug tested now, so haven't touched anything dodgy for years.

Funnily enough, I don't miss it much. Dope was the hardest to quit (becuase I used to smoke a blunt or two every day) but after going cold turkey I found that I suddenly had loads more time and energy to do other things.
Last edited by Heavy Stylus on Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.rgcd.co.uk
8-128 Bit & beyond: Indie game development news for vintage & modern computer hardware.

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:27 am

Shaun.Bebbington wrote:
TMR wrote:i didn't actually vote; i didn't like the text in the "no" option but couldn't say "yes" either.
I couldn't vote for the same reasons. I know plenty of people who have experimented and are in no way stupid. Everybody has their dark pleasures, whether it be alcohol or anything else including illegal substances.

Regards,

Shaun.
As I stated in an earlier post, the NO option was just to appease those on this forum are totally Anti Drugs.

If you have read all the posts, you'd see that for some, it was the perfect poll option, as they are very biased in their opinions on the subject!

I can't get everything right! :lol:
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

TMR

Post by TMR » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:10 pm

EvilArmourKing wrote:If you have read all the posts, you'd see that for some, it was the perfect poll option, as they are very biased in their opinions on the subject!
Thing is, it's probably skewing your poll by having lots of possible "yes" options but one "no" that not everyone wants to use...! =-)