gamestations retro game cull

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:27 pm

Would it not be cheaper to just have the stuff in containers on the shop floor and signs up for 'FREE STUFF' with every purchase or something?

Or find another company that still buys the stuff in and flog it to them?
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Blumf

Post by Blumf » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:26 am

Or give them to the local charities in the stores home towns. I would have thought the advertising from this gesture of generosity would outstrip any insurance remuneration.

Gah! Corporate thinking, makes you ill!
Sometimes you need to say what needs saying, most times you just need to shut up and listen.

manicdave66

Post by manicdave66 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:18 am

Or find another company that still buys the stuff in and flog it to them
I don’t think they would do that as it would help the business of another game store (I know its sad).
Or give them to the local charities in the stores home towns. I would have thought the advertising from this gesture of generosity would outstrip any insurance remuneration.

Gah! Corporate thinking, makes you ill!
That would be fantastic but that’s corporations for you.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:23 am

manicdave66 wrote:
Well that's even more stupid, you're spending money just to get no money and destroy stock. So basically it's just pathetic petty depriving people of useful stuff because they're prats.

Blockbuster has the stores destroy it and sign it off.
I think they get paid out by there insurance in the same way supermarkets get money back for incinerating out of date food. But its still pathetic, it could well end up that tens of thousands of games get destroyed as there are over 250 Gamestation stores nation wide, think of how much retro gear they must have between them.
For which case a signed note from the store would still be enough.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

manicdave66

Post by manicdave66 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:07 am

Unfortunately every game as to be accounted for and then sent back to head office. The process has already begun we have to send one retro format at a time to make sure nothing is missed.

The Master

Post by The Master » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:20 am

I'm beginning to suspect this thread is a plant, a ploy by Gamestation to get us all rushing off to buy up their retro stock before it's "destroyed"... :shock:

manicdave66

Post by manicdave66 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:55 am

m beginning to suspect this thread is a plant, a ploy by Gamestation to get us all rushing off to buy up their retro stock before it's "destroyed"...
Lol dam! You’ve seen through are dastardly master plan :evil:
Seriously though, I just think it’s sad that a company that supposedly aims it’s self at “true gamersâ€

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:00 am

Blumf wrote:Or give them to the local charities in the stores home towns.
Your thought is exactly the same as mine. Unfortunately this is another great example of managerial incompetence & narrow mindedness.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:36 am

Destroying and binning stuff sounds a great shame, but thinking back to the early 90's. I remember one of mates said Dixons binned loads of stock, curosity got the better of me and during my paper round I cycled round the back to dixons to take a look. And there was loads of stuff in there, but they had poured some sort of disgusting liquid over it all to stop kids (like myself) taking it. When I worked in a book shop and only the barcodes or backcovers of lots of stuff would be sent back, the manager set up a box in the staff room with all items at 10p each which went towards the next staff social event.

Surely Gamestation should be recycling the retro consoles and carts at a proper recycing station rather than smashing it up for land fill!!
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:25 pm

manicdave66 wrote:
Unfortunately every game as to be accounted for and then sent back to head office. The process has already begun we have to send one retro format at a time to make sure nothing is missed.
Yep , and that's their folly, a signed SM cert would be enough for insurence if they must go that route.

And it was for Blockbuster's VHS which I as SM abandoned about a year before the chain officially did and distributed between my staff and best customers for free and quite happily claimed to have destroyed it.

Illegal? Technically. Morally wrong? They haven't invented a word rude enough for me to put before "off" in my response.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:13 pm

bensonrad wrote: When I worked in a book shop and only the barcodes or backcovers of lots of stuff would be sent back
My mate used to give me the Playstation and other games mags from when he worked in HMV. They were all minus their front covers, which had to be sent back.
Thoughts and prayers.

firebreather

Post by firebreather » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:56 am

Went into the Camden store yesterday as i was passing anyway ans asked them about any PS1 games, they had them all boxed up in 2 boxes 1 with rare stuff to go back GS HQ, and 1 to bin (though i was told staff would be takinig the contents of this, better than just being thrown away.
Managed to buy a few good rpg`s like Diablo, alundra 2 etc they also had some stuff i couldnt afford for example 2 copies of vandal hearts 2 at £30 a pop :shock:

Seems like i chose a bad time to back into collecting games, sold all my old stuff off when kids arrived.
Last edited by firebreather on Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

thl

Post by thl » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:01 am

firebreather wrote:Went into the Camden store yesterday as i was passing anyway ans asked them about any PS1 games, they had them all boxed up in 2 boxes 1 with rare stuff to go back GS HQ, and 1 to bin (though i was told staff would be takinig the contents of this, better than just being thrown away.
I had went to that place before as it use to have few N64 games displayed on the shelves. Can't quite remember the title of the games.

firebreather

Post by firebreather » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:03 am

They had nothing reto on the shelves at all just the PS1 games boxed ready to go, and a Neo-Geo in the window £140 i think

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:26 pm

i am on fairly good terms with my local g's manager and when i recently tried to buy retro he told me that although there were boxes of it upstairs he would not be able to sell it as it was already writen off the system and he couldn't just give them to me (yes i did ask) as they were accounted for and h,q were taking the matter v'seriousley! its all going to plastics recicling so i was told!
i personaly think retro gamer should interview a game/gamestation m.d to find out how they can justify this mass slaughter of innocent games! and maybe launch some kind of national petition to keep these little pieces of our gaming history in circulation
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...