Broadband Banned?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mickey T

Broadband Banned?

Post by Mickey T » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:37 pm

What do you guys think about the goverment's plans to have our broadband services shut down if we use dodgy download sites?

Pains me to say it but Dudley did warn of such perils during the Manhunt 2 debate, turns out he was right ;)
ooer

Keeps us off the streets
http://www.purevolume.com/bchordassassins

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:10 pm

I'd better get everything I can while I can then :D
Splink!

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:22 pm

I don't think it'll happen, it'd be too costly for the ISPs to implement it...hopefully.

Mickey T

Post by Mickey T » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:34 pm

oli_lar wrote:I don't think it'll happen, it'd be too costly for the ISPs to implement it...hopefully.
That was my thoughts, but it seems that the goverment will punish ISPs who dont comply, I guess it comes down to who sponsors (oops) carries more weight with labour, the telecoms companies that are largely european owned or the record and movie studios.
ooer

Keeps us off the streets
http://www.purevolume.com/bchordassassins

TMR

Post by TMR » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:55 pm

Mickey T wrote:That was my thoughts, but it seems that the goverment will punish ISPs who dont comply, I guess it comes down to who sponsors (oops) carries more weight with labour, the telecoms companies that are largely european owned or the record and movie studios.
i think a threat to cripple the UK's internet infrastructure'd carry quite a bit of weight these days.... "we can't do this unless your internet connection slows to a crawl" would make people all over the UK kick off. It would add a load to an already stressed system, probably a cost to all of our broadband bills and the minute a Torrent client arrives with a good encryption system integrated the entire "plan" falls on it's arse anyway. Got to love politicians...

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:23 am

How are "they" going to know what I download..?

Are they going to check every file, I don't think so.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:25 am

That isn't the point is it? Isn't it exactly as it is now but with powers to ban you if caught? The media companies already snare some downloaders and send them threatening mails. I thought this was just putting some weight behind the action they can take.

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:17 am

My underdstanding was that because the company provides the service it will be held accountable if the user uses its connection to download files, if for example you download over limewire through a bt connection, bt would be liable, if they didnt use censure to stop the activity.

I think the onus is being put on them to monitor where you go.

To be fair I have only heard the story on the Radio and BBC news, so only have the news lite details at the moment.
Just where is Mickey T?

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:22 am

Surely a lot of it is scaremongering isnt it ? I'll believe it when i see it. At least you get 3 strikes !

They cant seem to stop it the old way so theyre now trying to target ISP's. I'm sure there'll be a different way or solution to get round that at some point as well.

I've stopped downloading films but i still download american TV shows which i know 'i'm still going to hell for' etc ! Dont feel bad for doing that though

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:26 am

oli_lar wrote:I don't think it'll happen, it'd be too costly for the ISPs to implement it...hopefully.
Like a basic lack of understanding of IT issues stops the British government from legislation in those areas: see the NHS spine system, the appalling ID card plans, and so on.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:38 am

Opa-Opa wrote:How are "they" going to know what I download..?

Are they going to check every file, I don't think so.
packet sniffing. But yeah, theres going to be so much data that it would be incredibly expensive and unfeasable.
CraigGrannell wrote: Like a basic lack of understanding of IT issues stops the British government from legislation in those areas: see the NHS spine system, the appalling ID card plans, and so on.
Implementing a large scale information system has never been any governmental department strongpoint for any country - see the US Navy :shock:

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:41 am

But using a Torrent site is not illegal, there are files like WGTV that I used to torrent so everyone could get it easy.
How are they going to know what files I'm downloading..?

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:11 am

Most of it is encrypted and if you're grabbing (for example) files called rgifm.rar, rgifm.r00 etc, how they gonna know what's in the archive?

This is just more knee jerk reaction that can never be enforced. Companies will either have to adapt to the fact you're never gonna stop online piracy, or wilt away...

And we haven't even gotten onto the possibility of people piggybacking unsecured wireless connections and getting the real owners into trouble...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:22 am

Good point, would take them forever to find out whats in certain files etc.

If something like this did happen with the government then practically all files will be renamed.

Just another scaremongering tactic by the government. I heard how downloads were killing music sales etc but then a week later i heard album sales were at their highest ever ? (might have changed now)

The singles chart was always a joke. I'm just glad because of downloaders we pay a proper price in the shops for an actual cd instead of the overblown price we used to get. Same for downloading songs from itunes etc. Also because of downloaders many US shows are now shown soon after in the UK instead of us being 6 months behind so downloaders arent all bad !

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:40 am

While I hardly claim to be perfect (and have never done anything wrong) I get the impression that some people are downloading/sharing endless movies and mp3's off illegal sites and I can honestly say I don't do that. Every year for birthdays and christmasses I seem to get enough credit from iTunes vouchers to keep me going. As it appears there are millions that do this it is indeed impractical to open and examine individual files but they may certainly start with people downloading tens of gigabytes of data every month. We've all discussed before the argument about old retro games not costing the company any money but modern media is certainly a different issue. A lot of teenagers and younger have absolutely no understanding of copyright whatsoever and regularly use the common file sharing services meaning the problem will only get worse.
However, as usual, if the big illegal servers were shut down this would limit (not elliminate) downloads. I am fully aware that new ones will start up again but that dosen't mean the ISP's shouldn't try.
Last edited by sscott on Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.