Mame Build

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ZeroCipher

Mame Build

Post by ZeroCipher » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:59 pm

I'm interested in building a mame machine but dont know where to start

i can build pc's i just want to know what spec is recommended an what OS etc
Check my radio show every Tuesday 11pm (GMT) on TotalRock.com & every Saturday 8pm ET on FullFreqRadio.com & 11pm EST on TheMixx.FM also via the TuneIn App. On Demand www.mixcloud.com/djforcex

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:19 pm

Ideally you want a P4 2.5Ghz or better, 1Gb of ram or better, 80Gb HDD or better and windows XP to run a complete current build of mame.

Older builds can run on much more basic hardware and windows 98 or even DOS.

There are several games in Mame that currently only run on Dual Core 64 bit systems but its overkill for the other 99.9% of games emulated.

If you are going to use a real arcade monitor I would definitely recommend an ArcadeVGA graphics card from ultimarc.

My current emulation PC is an Athlon64 3700+ (2.2Ghz), 1 Gb RAM, 750Gb of hard disks, running on WinXP and everything bar a couple of the previously mentioned CHD games runs perfectly fine.

As a rule Intel processors are better for emulation as they handle the pure number crunching better than like for like AMD chips.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

ZeroCipher

Post by ZeroCipher » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:21 am

How is Vista with MAME?
Check my radio show every Tuesday 11pm (GMT) on TotalRock.com & every Saturday 8pm ET on FullFreqRadio.com & 11pm EST on TheMixx.FM also via the TuneIn App. On Demand www.mixcloud.com/djforcex

TheCowardlyLion

Post by TheCowardlyLion » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:37 am

FatTrucker suggests 80gb hard drive, but the roms are nearly 17gb and the .chd's are nearly 63gb, so to future proof your system, I would say bite the bullet and go for 125gb or more - hard drives are cheap as chips these days anyhow.

ZeroCipher

Post by ZeroCipher » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:43 am

I have an AMD 2.8ghz Duel Processor
1gb ram
200gb HD
Running Vista home premium

its my almost media pc which i havent quite finished just yet. I get my PC gear at trade anyway so I can upgrade as and when. I've not downloaded MAME just yet, has anyone had it running on Vista?

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:55 am

Works fine with Vista, better even.
Just where is Mickey T?

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:56 pm

ZeroCipher wrote:I have an AMD 2.8ghz Duel Processor
1gb ram
200gb HD
Running Vista home premium

its my almost media pc which i havent quite finished just yet. I get my PC gear at trade anyway so I can upgrade as and when. I've not downloaded MAME just yet, has anyone had it running on Vista?
Yep Vista is fine. The spec I gave is intended to illustrate a minimum spec for a fully functional mame install.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.

ZeroCipher

Post by ZeroCipher » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:59 pm

is a graphics card overly important? as the one running is built into the motherboard. i think its 128mb

also what kind of control system to people use? joypad/stick?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:29 am

ZeroCipher wrote:is a graphics card overly important? as the one running is built into the motherboard. i think its 128mb

also what kind of control system to people use? joypad/stick?
Graphics card requirements will depend on the games you plan to run and the monitor you'll be using. If you're sticking to 2D games, built n graphics chip should be sufficient (especially at 128Mb, it's likely to be reasonably hefty). If you're going for more modern 3D, a better card might help, but you'll probably find the mid range stuff works fine for you anyway. Much of the newer stuff doesn't run full speed even on a really powerful system, its focused more on emulation accuracy than speed or playability.

If you use a standard PC monitor then the choice is yours based on the above. If you want a genuine arcade monitor, then you have only one choice - the Arcade VGA board.

As for controls, it has to be joystick to maintain any semblance of resemblance to the correct control scheme for the bulk of games. Pad is usable, but it really doesn't translate the phisical feeling of an arcade control. You then get nto the realms of alternative controls - analogue flight yokes/sticks, trackballs, spinners etc. Dual 8 way sticks and 4 buttons covers the majority of stuff though.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ZeroCipher

Post by ZeroCipher » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:47 am

cool, thanks for all the advice thus far its muchly appreciated.

I'm going to put the PC together today and let you know how i get on

ZeroCipher

Post by ZeroCipher » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:51 pm

PC is together and working just getting mame software now

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:29 pm

Have you decided on a Front-End yet?. There's some seriously cool stuff out there.

ZeroCipher

Post by ZeroCipher » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:13 pm

front end?

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:11 pm

ZeroCipher wrote:front end?
Something that when you boot the PC displays a menu rather than the Vista/XP desktop that lets you choose games with the joystick.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:53 am

I recommend MameWAH - it displays all the games in a list and is configurable to be controlled by any control method possible (including arcade stick)