The Guitarists Thread

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

rtrgrl78

Re: The Guitarists Thread

Post by rtrgrl78 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:46 pm

I’m thinking of getting back into learning playing guitar again. Started at 17, stopped for a bit then at 25 and now at the grand old of 35, decided again to pick it and another try, but more of a dedicated try. I should blame Roger Daltrey and going to The Who for this :) I'd like to ask some of you guys a bit of advice, if anyone can help that would be great. At the moment and the only guitar I have for maybe the next 6-12 months, money situation is the main factor here for me. I've got an Encore 3 4 bodied steel string guitar, reason is 3 4, got it when I was 17 and was quite slight built.

Always, noticed it took time to tune it up in the past, but nothing like now, am using a QuickTime electronic tuner and just about get the top E and A barely in tune and having major trouble to get the D string to be how it should be. I think it has something to do with where it's been stored (basically in my old bedroom, near a window and no bag). After, spending nearly 45 minutes on Saturday just gone, attempting to tune up - think there is problem, not sure what to do next. Am not confident enough to change the strings and have heard about this place in Salford that can re-tune and take part the strings and what not for £35 http://theguitarrepairworkshop.com/services/- do you think this will fix it, has anyone ever encountered this problem before? Like I say, I want to get back into it and ideally I would be looking to pick up a branded one such as Yamaha and maybe a Gibson, but just want to get this one up and running and see how I get on. And, taking into consideration where it's been stored and the age, I am hoping it will be a one off payment to re-store a bit of needed life in to it. Obviously, I once I would get a back it's going be stored better in that respect.

And finally, is there a good site anyone could recommend for beginners to pick up tips and stuff? Am a fan of the Justinguitar website and have been following Imagine’s publication; 'Guitar for Beginners', just like a few different sources to look round as well.

James A

Post by James A » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:06 pm

Well I was supposed to learn this year. Have picked a couple of things up with Youtube videos but the main thing putting me off going for lessons has been the price. On average im getting quoted £20 - £25 for a half hour lesson. Is this seriously what the going rate is now for a lesson???

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:14 pm

I am necroing this thread so there

I recently borrowed a gorgeous vintage Italian Eko Ranger 12 string. What a beast! I have never played a 12 before and, after sussing the tuning out, it sounds immense.

Gonna get it electroed and twill be a gigging guitar.

Going Solo...................

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:33 pm

Nice looking acoustic, fretboard looks a joy to play.

Glad this thread has risen from its grave. Finally joined another band in the last few months and start to buy some more pedals, current additions is a Dunlop Cry Baby and a Boss NS-2 Noise Surpression Pedal, I play with loads of gain and was getting horrible feedback if I didn't reduce the volume censored on my guitar, this pedal really helps with that.

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:10 pm

I too have just rejoined a band. On bass again so I cracked out the Jazz and, man alive, I missed it.
Going Solo...................

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:48 am

The Hardest of All Freds wrote:I too have just rejoined a band. On bass again so I cracked out the Jazz and, man alive, I missed it.
Good to hear you are enjoying it, can't believe how I much I look forward to practices at the week, have a good laugh and make some noise!!

Currently looking for an alternative to my Gibson Explorer, nice guitar but I am always fighting with the neck, its very heavy. My other guitar is an ESP LTD which plays beautifully, will probably getting another LTD model.

thompson9980

Post by thompson9980 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:50 am

I was looking at an LTD EC-401 in Olympic white a bit back. Still fancy one of those.
I did buy an EVH Striped Series though (red, black and white) and its the beans! The unfinished neck is really comfortable.
STUFF WANTED:
Sega 32X
Sega Megadrive, Japanese, mark 1
Sega Megadrive II

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:38 pm

thompson9980 wrote:I was looking at an LTD EC-401 in Olympic white a bit back. Still fancy one of those.
I did buy an EVH Striped Series though (red, black and white) and its the beans! The unfinished neck is really comfortable.
Fantastic model of LTD, that's the type I have in mind. Currently playing an LTD M-50, its a dirty minx that doesn't break the budget but certainly knows how to please :mrgreen:

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:59 am

How long have you been playing? 27 years (bloody hell)
What guitar(s) do you own? Fender Telecaster (knackered), Ibanez Artcore semi (beautiful but i hate it), an Aria ES335 copy that I completely love. Fender Telecoustic (cack), some massive korean ES335 copy that weighs a ton. Just bought a Steinberger Spirit GU-7. I'm getting used to it.
What about equipment? Amp's dead so I'm using a practice amp. I've got a fantastic Boss multi-effects thing with a 28 second looper on it.
What was your first ever guitar, and do you still own it? Some Washburn thing. Gave it to my mate. Have owned the Tele since 1990 though.
What's your favourite guitar maker & guitar? I guess Fender Teles. I hate Strats though. I've always liked Ibanez guitars but I hate the one I own. Although it is very pretty.
What genres of music do you like playing most? I like creating all the time. I'll play some blues and jazz for practice and I'll shred a lot to get my fingers going but I tend to like post-hardcore/alternative stuff so I spend time jamming that.
Are you in a band? Not anymore. Was for a long time. Bands now are all 15 year olds. Getting a band that is my age, my style and not a ball ache to get to? Impossible!
What guitar(s) do you have serious GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) for at the moment? (and might realistically own) I've got enough guitars for now!
Which do you dream to fork out for once you win the lottery? Gibson ES-290 Gold Top.
Who is your favourite guitarist? (other than yourself!) Geordie (Killing Joke)
Got any guitar-related stories? Nothing funny. I was playing a gig and all the wiring fell out of my Tele. That was a bad gig.

playzooki

Post by playzooki » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:56 pm

How long have you been playing?

about 2 months

What guitar(s) do you own?

some awful guitar i got for my birthday when i was 6, couldnt figure out how to play it so it sat in a cupboard gathering dust, and the cheapest guitar that was in cashconverters yesterday.

What about equipment?

i have an iRig2. I use my iphone as an amp

What was your first ever guitar, and do you still own it?

see above, and yes

What's your favourite guitar maker & guitar?

lol i dunno.

What genres of music do you like playing most?

metal

Are you in a band?

a solo project that i am incorporating real instruments into.

What guitar(s) do you have serious GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) for at the moment? (and might realistically own)

no idea what that is.

Which do you dream to fork out for once you win the lottery?

not sure, maybe an ibanez rg9?

Who is your favourite guitarist? (other than yourself!)

errrrr... probably abbath from immortal, i tend to pay more attention to the drums lol

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:50 am

Picked up my first 4x12 cabinet the other day, only cost £89, Peavey TubeKing, sounds nice and loud, speakers are still crisp and not thrashed.

Don't know why it was priced that low, online research shows it is a good cab and can go for a lot more, not complaining tho and it just about fits in in the back of my little car :mrgreen:

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:42 pm

Picked up Rocksmith 2014 in the Steam sale - it's £5.99 currently. Obviously had to get the cable too separately, but hey. Have really slacked off on playing in the last couple of years, but this has encouraged me to get back into it. I'd recommend it if you want to do the same. Probably my only gripes with it thus far are:

- Sometimes you'll be playing a song and BAM - it hits you with some unexplained technique. At least tell me at the beginning of the song if there's going to be something new/unique, and pointers on what to do.
- In general, I think it should probably make you focus a little more on technique as you play. Most people aren't all studious angels who'll start by going through the lessons first. It seems more focused on making you hit the right fret over anything else.
- There is a good selection of songs available in the base pack. However, extra songs are pricey. Even on sale, the cheapest songs are £1.43 each, or you can pick up packs... which don't give you any discount.
- You have to edit an ini file to change screen resolution. I don't even remember having to do that in the 90s.
- There are about 4 unskippable splash screens before you can actually get to the main menu.

Otherwise, it works surprisingly well. Word of caution - I'd recommend NOT using a guitar with a floating bridge as you need to re-tune your guitar for different songs all the time. You will quickly find yourself playing Tuning Simulator 2014 if you do. I'm using my SG and it's perfect.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:22 pm

Sureshot wrote:Picked up Rocksmith 2014 in the Steam sale - it's £5.99 currently. Obviously had to get the cable too separately, but hey. Have really slacked off on playing in the last couple of years, but this has encouraged me to get back into it. I'd recommend it if you want to do the same. Probably my only gripes with it thus far are:

- Sometimes you'll be playing a song and BAM - it hits you with some unexplained technique. At least tell me at the beginning of the song if there's going to be something new/unique, and pointers on what to do.
- In general, I think it should probably make you focus a little more on technique as you play. Most people aren't all studious angels who'll start by going through the lessons first. It seems more focused on making you hit the right fret over anything else.
- There is a good selection of songs available in the base pack. However, extra songs are pricey. Even on sale, the cheapest songs are £1.43 each, or you can pick up packs... which don't give you any discount.
- You have to edit an ini file to change screen resolution. I don't even remember having to do that in the 90s.
- There are about 4 unskippable splash screens before you can actually get to the main menu.

Otherwise, it works surprisingly well. Word of caution - I'd recommend NOT using a guitar with a floating bridge as you need to re-tune your guitar for different songs all the time. You will quickly find yourself playing Tuning Simulator 2014 if you do. I'm using my SG and it's perfect.
I played a little bit of Rocksmith 2014 before I jumped over to Linux and it was no longer compatible. Had a pretty fun time playing Alice Cooper, Def Leppard and REM, stuff I wouldn't usually go out of my way to play but it was good to try something a little different. Think applications like Rocksmith could develop really well as a tool for learning covers, scales and different techniques.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:06 am

Rocksmith is a good idea but the interface hurts my feelings. It makes playing guitar much harder than it is.

My resolution this year was to learn more songs. As a guitarist I just like to improvise and jam out a bit, especially along with a loop pedal.

But I'm sitting down and learning songs again for the first time in 25 years. And stuff I wouldn't normally bother with. Like, I'm not a fan of The Smiths but I learned This Charming Man and that's such a smart guitar part.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:39 am

Hi guysI 've got a Yamaha LL6 acoustic six string and a mandolin. I started learning at 30 and joined a folk band in eastbourne about six months later as backing singer and drums then guitar when I got less than incompetent! I'm not a collector, I've got my mandolin and six string in the living room and my first guitar in the loft (a Sammik?? Something like that) I haven't played with the band in about 4yrs, but do want to get back to it.
Scott me up beamie!