Battle Garegga sega saturn

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Fred83

Battle Garegga sega saturn

Post by Fred83 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:49 pm

Ok i seen it in the mag,and it looks good. I checked ebay,it aint cheap.is there any extra features on the saturn version that justifies the price?
Last edited by Fred83 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:37 pm

Not really, other than changing the screen mode. Its a well done port though.

Its not too expensive, got mine for around £20. There are plenty of better Saturn shooters in my opinion.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:43 pm

You made the right choice, this along with Soukyugurentai are the greatest shmups on Saturn. Worth every penny! Lot's of replayability and a hidden depth to the gameplay that all Raizing shooters have. You can really get into this one, but be warned you have to be on top form to get the most out of it! It's rock hard. :P

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:01 am

Garegga actually had quite a few little tweaks and extras over the arcade version, here are my impressions on the Saturn port of the game:

"Been enjoying the hell outta this game since I got it last week, really glad I got it.
The main game seems the same as the arcade version execpt the load times between 1 stage to the next (and even then we are talking about 2 seconds at max).
I love the unique bomb system, nothing like building up a stock of ammo and unloading it onto a boss!
The difficulty is very well done indeed! It seems to have a perfect balance between winable and challenging meaing it is just hard enough without feeling unfair or cheap.
The 1 thing that really suprised me though was the wealth of options in the game, that is to say there are 2 option screens. 1 for general difficulty, lives, continues and a second purely for tweaking the game which includes:
Changing the appearance of most enemy attacks to white orb shaped shots which can make them easier to see.
Adding 4 more playable ships to the select screen (each of them are uniquely designed and all play differently)
The ability to choose which order you play stages 2-6 in, so you can play the games levels in any order you want (baring the first and last levels)
Small hit box - as far as I could tell this affected your chip only, as all enemies were just as easy to destroy yet I found myself dying less. I imagine it means your craft has a smaller hit box which does make the game noticably easier
Simple option mode: It says "simple" because the layout is simplified, but at the same time it also translates both entire option modes into English! This is obviously a fantastic inclusion for anyone who can't read Japanese (like me)
And last but not least is a fantastic arranged soundtrack.

In short, this game is amazing, the gameplay is great as is the pacing of the difficulty and to top it off it has a whole host of extra options to add even more to the game. A must for all Saturn owners!"

I got my copy for around £35. Worth every penny to, people do seem to raise the price quite a bit for the game for some reason. Though it is worth the price it demands.

C=Style - your right on the mark. Garegga and Soukyugurentai are 2 of the best for the Saturn. Soukyugurentai can be had for £15 so its not even expensive to get.
Personally I like Garegga over Radiant Silvergun. I just enjoy it more for some reason.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:39 am

No love for Layer Section :shock:

Thing I don't like about Garegga is the 'invisible' bullets - very hard to spot on my crappy old dark TV

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:48 am

I'd play it in Mame first as it's a real marmite game. Personally I can't stand the suicideing for rank management and the invisi-bullets. But if these don't bother you then it does have great depth.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:11 am

The Saturn version of Garegga actually has an option to change bullets from the "hard to see" bullets to luminous green/orange circular bullets which does make them easier to see if thats any help.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:29 pm

anyone got cheats for Soukyugurentai ?

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:06 pm

I'm quite sure you could change the bullets in the arcade version of Garegga via the dip switches, but either way I prefer to play with the hard to see bullets myself. Also you don't have to suicide to enjoy Garegga, you can just play it as you would any other normal shmup with 1 credit till it kicks your arse, which it will bigtime! But I like to think it's not impossible to complete without suiciding? I've not 1CC it yet anyway, have Souky mind you.

As for cheats in Souky, you kind of unlock some as you play, it's in the hidden menu (press up once on the d-pad in the main menu), my favourite cheat allowing you to fire your guns/web simultaneously, tbh I enjoy playing the game more that way, it's more satisfying. :)

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:08 pm

oli_lar wrote:No love for Layer Section :shock:

Thing I don't like about my crappy old TV is the 'invisible' bullets - very hard to see, if however I had a good TV then I would love Garegga to bits!
FIXED

As for Layer Section, I've only just got it but am enjoying it. Not sure it's up to Raizing's greatest, but it's a tight game regardless, plays more like Souky.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:31 pm

Yes for souky.i been playing it for yonks and i cant still unlock the extra features in the extra options.What do i have to score or do to unlock the other features?
Last edited by Fred83 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:22 pm

I don't particularly like Souky. I find it too busy and slightly unfair. I think Layer section is prefectly balanced though.

I've not played my Saturn in a long time due to the fact my saturn stick bit the dust :cry:

Really do need to get round to getting a new one...

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:01 pm

Fred, you should unlock the secret menu pretty much after the first couple of games regardless of how well you do. Are you sure that your internal battery is saving? Because if that's worn out then that may well be the reason why you're not noticing the extra menu.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:16 pm

i finished souky today :D
Last edited by Fred83 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:57 pm

1 credit complete?