Who plays old games primarily?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:44 pm

I'm also about 50/50 between retro and modern. Currently hooked up to my TV are a PS2, Wii, PS1 (my PS2 doesn't play PS1 games anymore), Mega Drive and Master System. Currently I'm constantly switching between Dino Dini's Soccer on the MD and Ratchet and Clank 2 on the PS2.
Fight the good fight of faith,
Lay hold on Eternal life.

-1 Timothy 6:12-

The5thAxis

Post by The5thAxis » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:48 pm

I play old games primarily. Mostly 8-bit games via emulation.

Played Wow for 7 months and now I play Eve online which is a lot more relaxed )I've chosen to be a miner and dont get into space battles...for now), and World Championship Snooker and the GTA series are on my hard drive, but I have the most fun playing Jon Ritman/Bernie Drummond games, or trying to beat my time on Highway Encounter, or get that one extra jewel in Spindizzy...

Tapey297

Post by Tapey297 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:42 am

Since My PS2 packed up its been put in a cupboard and my megadrive and amiga are permenantly connected to the telly. As for handheld I am still enjoying my Neogeo pocket colour.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:50 am

Tapey297 wrote:Since My PS2 packed up its been put in a cupboard and my megadrive and amiga are permenantly connected to the telly. As for handheld I am still enjoying my Neogeo pocket colour.
That's what I meant in my original post. I was wondering if any members are simply happy to play the classic systems and are not that fussed for having the latest PSWii60

In the week that I got my new Xbox (Xmas 2005) I played my Saturn more.

In the week I got my 360 (2 weeks ago) I spent more time playing Daytona (and Daytona CCE) on my Saturn.
Thoughts and prayers.

GovanGer

Post by GovanGer » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:16 am

In the last few months I have owned three Xbox 360's and two PS3's

I keep one for a month, get utterly bored with it, and end up trading it in for something else.

But I've finally realised that the games on these new consoles simply don't interest me any more.

I don't care if Gangsta Rap Racer 12 lets me change the paint on my car, or if the machine gun in Generic WW2 Shooter Part 8 has a different colour of metal on the trigger from the real thing.

So my PS3 is being sold on ebay this week, and my DC, MD, and N64 are the only consoles I am interested in at the moment

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:59 am

I just dont have time to sit down and get so immersed into a PC game due to wife/job/overtime/dog etc. Thats why i love retro games, well one reason is because you can have a quick blast of some classic game and STILL all these years later i discover a Speccy game through emulation which i never tried before.

I wish i had more free time, quite jealous of my mate who plays Star Wars galaxies tons and other games but just have more things to do with my time now.

I'm like an old git though when i say i'm amazed at a device (Such as my beloved Pocket PC !) which has tons of games on it when 25 years ago i was there at Boots paying 6 quid for Sabre Wulf etc. I am very thankful to any emulator writer out there as back in the early 90's i thought the Speccy and other machines would be totally extinct.

Here we are all these years later, big communities still going for these machines, even new Speccy games getting released. Its great

I dont need an X-Box / PS3 just to see whizzy graphics but bad gameplay and games costing a ton. Give me my old games anyday !

GovanGer

Post by GovanGer » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:01 am

Thats another reason for me too - just now having the time any more.

I just don't have enough free time to sit down and watch a 20 minute cut scene before a game even starts, so retro games are ideal for me

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:48 am

Yep another reason here. I do save a fair few retro games to come back later and complete them and i must admit i'm quite happy when i finally complete some game from 20 odd years ago !

With a PC game have to boot up the PC, wait for them, put the CD in , wait for the stupid protection to realise its a legal cd (Star Wars games are a nightmare for this) and then click a few times to try and get past all the rubbish before i can actually load my saved game. Plus with the PC in the basement and the missus watching tv its not that social. Shes quite happy if shes watching some cack on tv and i'm next to her even if i'm having a fiddle (easy) on my gadget playing a game or something rather than on the computer away.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:06 am

GovanGer wrote:Thats another reason for me too - just now having the time any more.

I just don't have enough free time to sit down and watch a 20 minute cut scene before a game even starts, so retro games are ideal for me
This is certainly true. Although, can I suggest a DS? (And a copy of Blast Arena Advance, the best game you'll ever play in 1 minute)

This though is why I have a complete SMS, MD, NES, SNES set on my lappy.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

video-gamer-girl

Post by video-gamer-girl » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:34 am

often more on my famicom, super famicom, mastersystem megadrive saturn, than my Wii ,ps2, xbox

thedirtyshame

Post by thedirtyshame » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:05 pm

The newest machine I own is a slimline PS2, but to be honest I haven't really gotten around to gaming much on it. Add to this the fact that I'm a huge 8-bit fan, broke student (poor me, boo hoo, etc) and work in Gamestation, where retro games cost me pennies (literally), retro makes a lot of sense personally :D Oh, and I'm a lazy sod. Cartridges are highly resilient.
-----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.stacykidd.co.uk

Heavy Stylus

Post by Heavy Stylus » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:45 pm

Retro for me. I prefer my hardware to have 16-bits (or less).

I rarely play modern games on the PC except for reviewing purposes. Mind you, at the moment I rarely play games at all unless I'm writing about them. I've even regressed to typing some of RGCD04 on my recently aquired Atari STE - which is probably why it's taking so long to complete! ;)
http://www.rgcd.co.uk
8-128 Bit & beyond: Indie game development news for vintage & modern computer hardware.

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:55 pm

Has to be the DS and PSP (when I get it fixed) as there's tons of emulators available and it's a quick and easy way to get your gaming fix.

As for gaming on the PC, would like to start doing this again but have reached a stage where I just can't be arsed anymore as it too much hassle, so retro goodness via emus is perfect for me.
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:07 pm

psj3809 wrote:Here we are all these years later, big communities still going for these machines, even new Speccy games getting released. Its great

I dont need an X-Box / PS3 just to see whizzy graphics but bad gameplay and games costing a ton. Give me my old games anyday !
That sums it up completely, that's what this forum is all about! :D
GovanGer wrote:I just don't have enough free time to sit down and watch a 20 minute cut scene before a game even starts, so retro games are ideal for me
Well said. Games are for playing, not for watching.
Fight the good fight of faith,
Lay hold on Eternal life.

-1 Timothy 6:12-

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:25 pm

I just play games. Don't care if they are old or new.