Who plays old games primarily?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

rossi46

Who plays old games primarily?

Post by rossi46 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:42 am

Who has a retro machine as their main machine?

Until I picked up a 360 recently, I'd been using my Saturns as my main gaming platform - and loving it. I wasn't too fussed for making the jump to better gfx and presentation.

Does anyone on here play C64 or Spectrum like it's 1988?

Maybe you think the Jaguar is the machine to beat?

Is your 3DO the center-piece in your games room?
Thoughts and prayers.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:12 am

I have a couple of retro machines but theyre boxed up and just kept in the loft.

I personally play all my games on either my PC, GP2X, or Pocket PC. Havent got the room to have tons of machines everywhere, have got a great MAME machine (Thanks Boyo) which i use a ton.

But generally i've got emulators on the PC or Pocket PC. Ideally it would be great to have an XBox or something to link to the TV but i'm very happy with the GP2X for that. The emulators arent always 100% perfect but for a little device i'm very happy with it.

The5thAxis

Post by The5thAxis » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:22 am

Sold all mine years ago - I'm of the type that feels it's so much hassle to setup the original equipment when at the touch of a button, you can play any old game on your PC, maintaining that retro feel by using a retro controller (of which there are many to choose from).

And although I'm an Amstrad lover, I much prefer using a quality PC keybopard for text adventures and platform games, compared to the 6128 keyboard which I never really enjoyed much.

(464 keyboard was hot though - the best keyboard of the 8-bits imho)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:34 am

I don't have a primary console, though over the past few months its been the 360 then the Wii that got the most use.

Saying that my Supergun has got a lot of use so I've been playing a large variety of Arcade games so in one sense that has been my primary platform.

However at the minute its actually the Master System that is my primary console. I never had one in the late 80's (had a NES), and even when I got a MS converter and a few games I never played it much. I'm now making up for lost time and going through my 40 odd MS games.

Such a great console to. Pyscho Fox is a joy to play, harder than I thought it would be to. The 1 hit kills really add to the games challenge, no restart points either (Level 6-2 was a right pain)
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:52 am

I did have my SNES and Jaguar under the telly until recently, but I've moved most of my stuff out of the way to prevent my daughter's waster boyfriend from playing them. I refuse to entertain that particular undesirable.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

merman

Post by merman » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:02 am

About 50/50 really - I do play new(er) games on things like the DS and the PS2, but then I also have my collection of retro machines and emulators...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:10 am

Yep i like doing that, never had a NES or a Master System so going through all the games for those machines and finding my favourites i love to do.

Difficult to explain but i sometimes like the more 'simpler' versions of games on say the Gameboy Mono, Master System or NES than i do on more advanced consoles.

GovanGer

Post by GovanGer » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:33 am

My PS3, PS2 and PSP are boxed up ready to be sold, cause I wasn't playing them at all.

Main consoles just now are DC, N64 and Megadrive, and I am looking to pick up a Saturn next.

bolda

Post by bolda » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:30 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:I did have my SNES and Jaguar under the telly until recently, but I've moved most of my stuff out of the way to prevent my daughter's waster boyfriend from playing them. I refuse to entertain that particular undesirable.
Surely you could have left the Jaguar under the telly to get rid of him!? (and that's coming from a Jaguar-owning Atari fanboy!) :wink:

I don't think there is any substitute for booting up an original console and playing these games the way God (Miyamoto!) intended them to be played. Sure it's a pain to have to plug them in but I manage ok with about 8 retro systems... got them all stacked in IKEA plastic crates and got the games stacked in a cupboard, nice little games room setup! It needs to be the whole experience for me... blowing on the cartridge pins, grappling with the vice-like cartridge slot, the satisfying feel of a NES power button being pressed (!?)... emulation just doesn't capture that sensory element!

For modern gaming, I use the PC... all the games I'm interested in get a PC release and pre-owned PC games seem to be cheaper than their console counterparts.
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:36 am

Totally agree but for me i just dont have the space or time to suddenly get everything connected, wait a few mins for a Speccy game to load etc. Now being much older just have so much more to do. Having the games on a portable device such as my PPC just makes things so much easier.

In an ideal world i would have some huge games room and lots of time to play it but with emulation i've discovered so many more games and because of emulation retro gaming is so popular again.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:49 am

PC mainly because games are cheap, but consolewise all I have is Retro

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:56 am

Usually its the DC/PS2 for shmups.

Used to play PC-Engine a hell of a lot but I got bored of my games and use Magic Engine a lot now. Got a load of new games coming in soon though :D

I got a 360 not too long ago but Halo 3 is the only game I really play on it.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:05 am

Nope, I play considerably more modern than retro.

Been playing Sensible Soccer 96 on my laptop a bit recently and a rather spiffy remake of Wizball for RGCD4 but that's about it.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:39 am

I play a lot of emulators still on PSP and DS,not so much on my PC these days. Although I too have been playing the Wizball remake, and I do intend to play the Monty Xmas game.

360 is my primary console although I do have a lot of XBLA retro games for it. Scramble and Time Pilot FTW!

rupert

Post by rupert » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:13 pm

I have my Wii hooked up in 1 lounge and an SMS, MD and Dreamcast hooked up in another. I'd say the ratio each gets is..
SMS 70%
Wii 20%
Dreamcast 7%
MD 3% (MD may change in time, it's just been for curiostiy mainly as i never had one back in the day)

Also I offten feel more inclined to play on my lynx than my DS, infact i don't think ive even switched my DS on for about 3 months! (I dred to think how many weeds will have grown in my village :roll: )