And the Winner of the 2007 Formula 1 Championship will be...

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Championship Winner

Poll ended at Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:06 pm

Hamilton!
6
67%
Raikkonen!
1
11%
Alonso!
2
22%
 
Total votes: 9

User avatar
RetroENZO
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:08 pm
Location: South Wales
Contact:

Post by RetroENZO » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:03 pm

Nitters wrote:
necronom wrote:
RetroENZO wrote:To add to the fire...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63547

Bearing in mind they were ahead of Hamilton so IF they lose their positions, Hamilton will get another three points, enough to take the championship.
I just heard about this a few minutes ago.

Would they dare to change the result now?
Well they dared fine McLaren $100m....
More news on this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 055644.stm

Yes they can and they have in the past. In the 2004 Brazilian Grand Prix, Webber crashed and Alonso ploughed into him in awful conditions ending the race prematurely. Raikkonen was crowned the race winner back then as well, but as the race was red flagged, they counted back the number of laps. They worked it out wrong though and a few days after Raikkonen was crowned race winner, they then announced that Fisichella had actually won the race for Jordan meaning that Raikkonen had to hand over his trophy.

It would be bad luck if Brazil now caused him not to have won his first race, but his first championship.
Geoff
Facebook and Twitter
Image

thl
Posts: 4427
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:52 am

Post by thl » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:02 pm

It's going to be Hamilton.

Bub&Bob
Posts: 6833
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:24 am

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:17 am

thl wrote:It's going to be Hamilton.
Is it? :cry:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

User avatar
Dudley
Posts: 8708
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:53 pm
Contact:

Post by Dudley » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:33 am

Oh give it up McLaren. It's an unbelieveable decision not to at least fine those cars but accept it, you've lost.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

User avatar
RetroENZO
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:08 pm
Location: South Wales
Contact:

Post by RetroENZO » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:36 am

Bub&Bob wrote:
thl wrote:It's going to be Hamilton.
Is it? :cry:
Hope so. He deserves it.
Geoff
Facebook and Twitter
Image

Bub&Bob
Posts: 6833
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:24 am

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:33 am

RetroENZO wrote:
Bub&Bob wrote:
thl wrote:It's going to be Hamilton.
Is it? :cry:
Hope so. He deserves it.
Didn't Kimi win 2 more races than Lewis though?
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

User avatar
Dudley
Posts: 8708
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:53 pm
Contact:

Post by Dudley » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:12 am

Yes.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

User avatar
RetroENZO
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:08 pm
Location: South Wales
Contact:

Post by RetroENZO » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:06 pm

Kimi did win the more races but was less consistent. Oh and I do think Kimi Raikkonen deserves to win a World Championship, but I didn't think that his 2007 was that special (the early part of the season was abysmal).

I refer to the 1982 championship where Keke Rosberg won the championship with just one win, but was consistent through the season.
Geoff
Facebook and Twitter
Image

User avatar
Dudley
Posts: 8708
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:53 pm
Contact:

Post by Dudley » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:15 pm

That wasn't consistency, that was just the luck of being in one of the only decent NA cars whilst the still new turbos were grenading every 2nd race.

Not to say he didn't do well but he got very lucky. The 2nd place driver in the championship finished just 9 races out of 16. The next highest turbo car just 8. Rosberg actually cost himself another win, at Zolder, by spinning off late race.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

User avatar
Elgin_McQueen
Posts: 6757
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:08 am
Location: Elgin, Scotland

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:01 am

RetroENZO wrote:
Nitters wrote:
necronom wrote: I just heard about this a few minutes ago.

Would they dare to change the result now?
Well they dared fine McLaren $100m....
More news on this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 055644.stm

Yes they can and they have in the past. In the 2004 Brazilian Grand Prix, Webber crashed and Alonso ploughed into him in awful conditions ending the race prematurely. Raikkonen was crowned the race winner back then as well, but as the race was red flagged, they counted back the number of laps. They worked it out wrong though and a few days after Raikkonen was crowned race winner, they then announced that Fisichella had actually won the race for Jordan meaning that Raikkonen had to hand over his trophy.

It would be bad luck if Brazil now caused him not to have won his first race, but his first championship.
Complete difference when it comes to the championship winner though, don't think they'd have the balls to take it away from Raikonnen, even if their rules state they have to.



When the commentators were going on and on about how if a car dropped out would Alonso move out the way for Hamilton? Surprised they didn't suggest Alonso slow the cars behind him so Hamilton could catch up. Not that I suppose he would've, he had as much to gain by trying to overtake as Hamilton did.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Image
Image

User avatar
RetroENZO
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:08 pm
Location: South Wales
Contact:

Post by RetroENZO » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:44 pm

Autosport's website has found out that even if they did disqualify the Williams and BMWs, it would take another battle apparently to justify moving all the remaining drivers upwards. In other words, the results of the Brazilian Grand Prix could just look like this...

1) Raikkonen (10pts)
2) Massa (8pts)
3) Alonso (6pts)
4) EXCLUDED
5) EXCLUDED
6) EXCLUDED
7) Hamilton (2pts)

In other words, Hamilton would still have been classed as finishing with 2 points. He's actually come forward himself and said he doesn't want to win the championship on appeal with drivers being excluded. Fair comment and in that light, I hope he gets the championship he deserves in '08.
Geoff
Facebook and Twitter
Image

User avatar
RetroENZO
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:08 pm
Location: South Wales
Contact:

Post by RetroENZO » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:46 pm

Dudley wrote:That wasn't consistency, that was just the luck of being in one of the only decent NA cars whilst the still new turbos were grenading every 2nd race.

Not to say he didn't do well but he got very lucky. The 2nd place driver in the championship finished just 9 races out of 16. The next highest turbo car just 8. Rosberg actually cost himself another win, at Zolder, by spinning off late race.
I'll be honest Dudley, I didn't get into F1 until the 1990s, but I love the history, stats, facts and figures. I didn't know that was the year that the turbos were so fragile. But I do know that Rosberg was disqualified from one race as well?

I presume you mean "normally aspirated" for NA too.
Geoff
Facebook and Twitter
Image

User avatar
Dudley
Posts: 8708
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:53 pm
Contact:

Post by Dudley » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:26 pm

RetroENZO wrote:Autosport's website has found out that even if they did disqualify the Williams and BMWs, it would take another battle apparently to justify moving all the remaining drivers upwards. In other words, the results of the Brazilian Grand Prix could just look like this...

1) Raikkonen (10pts)
2) Massa (8pts)
3) Alonso (6pts)
4) EXCLUDED
5) EXCLUDED
6) EXCLUDED
7) Hamilton (2pts)
This is true, regardless of exclusions it's at the steward's discretion whether cars get promoted because of it.
I'll be honest Dudley, I didn't get into F1 until the 1990s, but I love the history, stats, facts and figures. I didn't know that was the year that the turbos were so fragile. But I do know that Rosberg was disqualified from one race as well?

I presume you mean "normally aspirated" for NA too.
Yeah I did. The turbos had been fragile right from 1977 when Renault first tried one. It was about then that their power was starting to overcome that. 1982 was the last NA championship winner before 89.

Rosberg was indeed DSQ'd from one race for running water cooled brakes which were deemed illegal. This actually started the fight that gave us Bernie as Lord of everything. He didn't race in San Marino as almost everyone boycotted the race.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Bub&Bob
Posts: 6833
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:24 am

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:44 am

Well, a good start for Lewis...........
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

User avatar
markopoloman
Posts: 11657
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:03 pm
Location: Poole, Dorset

Post by markopoloman » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:00 am

I think we need a 2008 thread! But hell yeah! Great start to the season.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DPrinny and 3 guests