Does MAME work better with a dual core processer?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Bermondsey Bob

Does MAME work better with a dual core processer?

Post by Bermondsey Bob » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:58 pm

Hi. I'm looking to buy a new PC and I was wondering if MAME works better with a dual core processer or am I better off getting a fast single processer? I don't use my PC for modern gamieng, only emulation and internet/work stuff etc. I'm really looking to run Carnevil as I love that game and my local arcade just sold their machine ( :twisted: )so I can't play it anymore :cry: Most MAME forums are full of idiots who are far more likely to complain that I've posted in the wrong thread than help me out!

Also, does Vista cause major problems with emulators? My current PC is dying fast and I'd like to upgrade to someting new, but also something that works well!

Thanks!

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:35 pm

I don't believe that MAME is written to take advantage of dual core processors (I may be wrong). If it is I can't find an option for it in my version.

I'm currently running Vista Ultimate 64 bit and I've had no problems with any of the emus that I've tried. The one thing that you need with Vista is memory. You should have 2Gb for it to run at its best. I've just added 1Gb to my PC (making 2 in total) and the speed difference is noticeable.

bigfreakypossum

Post by bigfreakypossum » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:46 am

Actually, MAME32 does have a multi-threaded renderer option which I assume increases speed on dualcores. On my Pentium 3 with hyperthreading I didn't notice any difference, but if that option is check my MAME32 crashes every time I exit a game. Nice.

Having a faster processor is going to make a bigger difference than having more RAM. MAME32 takes up 40mb at idle. Add to that the size of the ROM (not the size of the ZIP files but the size of its contents). Take a really big game like King Of Fighters 2003. That's 94mb. So if you have at least 134mb of free physical memory, there's no swappy swappy so memory shouldn't make a difference. Any system preloaded with Vista should be fine, otherwise you need to unload some crap from memory.

All of my emulators work great under Vista, except Viva Nonno which gave me a lot of trouble.
One toot on this whistle will send you to a far away land!

Bermondsey Bob

Post by Bermondsey Bob » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:33 pm

Thanks for the help. I've heard that memory makes a big diference, so I was going to go far a big memory machine. I'll keep these tips in mind. Thanks :D