300 movie

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:54 am

will2097 wrote:Just to put my comments in to context. I look forward to the Resident Evil Movie and I thought Doom, the movie, was alright.
Me too, though I thought the new resi trailer looked a bit less than impressive. Soon find out though!!
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

mandelbrot78

Post by mandelbrot78 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:14 am

Elgin_McQueen wrote:Last I heard the guy who directed it wants to do 'Watchmen' next, with the same green screen technology, though I don't really see why they need it.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Watchmen by this idiot? He'll ruin it.
He really wants to make it, though.
Watch this 300 trailer and pause at 1.52 there's a single frame showing Rorschach.
And if you are lazy just watch the hires pic:

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:15 am

mandelbrot78 wrote:
Elgin_McQueen wrote:Last I heard the guy who directed it wants to do 'Watchmen' next, with the same green screen technology, though I don't really see why they need it.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Watchmen by this idiot? He'll ruin it.
He really wants to make it, though.
Watch this 300 trailer and pause at 1.52 there's a single frame showing Rorschach.
And if you are lazy just watch the hires pic:
Excellent.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:44 am

I thought he'd already started on Watchmen, they'd announced a cast for most of it anyway.
Splink!

mandelbrot78

Post by mandelbrot78 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:39 pm

Yup, filming has started. Zak Snyder as director and a bunch of nobodies as actors. It will be crap, considering the director's past output and that other mess of a film V for Vendetta (which had a better directing duo).

bigfreakypossum

Post by bigfreakypossum » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:49 pm

Alan Moore hates it when people make movies out of his comics. Probably because League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen, which was waaay off. He was upset about V For Vendetta but I thought that turned out pretty good.
One toot on this whistle will send you to a far away land!

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:51 am

Another one here who hated300. It had no redeeming features at all. I was quite looking forward to it (despite not knowing what it was about) but it was just one of the most cynical, no-brain films I have ever seen.

It was the product of a group of fat men in suits sitting around a table who want your cash. Ultra violence - check. Cliched relationships and plot 'twists' - check. What's missing? Oh yes, casual nudity which serves no purpose but is essential to clinch that male teen dollar - check. Good. The perfect film for stealing your money.

If I'd known it was going to be so irredeemably shallow I wouldn't have watched it in the first place.

Got that off my chest. Thanks for letting me vent my spleen guys. Carry on with what you were doing.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

Bermondsey Bob

Post by Bermondsey Bob » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:06 pm

will2097 wrote:Just to put my comments in to context. I look forward to the Resident Evil Movie and I thought Doom, the movie, was alright.
I enjoyed the Streetfighter film :shock: :shock: :shock: I'm serious too :lol: :lol:

bigfreakypossum

Post by bigfreakypossum » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:35 am

Among all of you who hate 300, how many of you first read it as a comic? If you did read the comic/graphic novel first, did you like it?

Because I really don't feel the movie was that different from the comic, every shot in the movie was frame exactly like it was originally, and every line of dialog and narration was repeated verbatim. The only thing different between the movie and the comic was the addition of one (admittedly weak) plot thread, which was clearly added to lengthen the movie.

I've read quite a few bad reviews of the movie, but almost no one who has ever read the quite-honestly identical comic ever complains about it, so I find that odd.

I enjoyed 300 as a movie on the same level that I enjoyed the comic. If anything, I felt as though I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't read the comic since I knew what to expect in every single scene.
One toot on this whistle will send you to a far away land!

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:18 pm

I haven't read the comic. I expect part of the reason that I didn't like it was due to the fact that I did't know it was a comic until the credits rolled.

I heard what it was about and was expecting something like Zulu, but it turned out to be farly trashy so there was probably a big sense of disappointment that didn't help.

There is, of course, another film about exactly the same subject that was made in 1962 - 300 Spartans.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian